Thread: wireless print server.... forseeable problems?

wireless print server.... forseeable problems?

thinking of getting my father a wireless print server for the for their wireless home network (802.11b/g).

any expreience with these?

they are running MAC specific filteirng/access (don;t see much of a problem there) by the router, but also either WEP or WPA encryption (not sure which one my mom set up)...... would it be safe to assume this isn;t a problem? without being able to configure the WEP/WPA encryption key to enable the wireless print server to even connect to the network in the first place (print server side), how do you (wirelessly) get into it to configure the encryption key?

or am i just being really dense and overlooking something simple?
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

SG Enthusiast
    I'd check the details for the particular model print server you are looking at. It should specify the protocols supported.

I would not assume WEP (and especially WPA) support.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

thanks for the reply, skye.

actually, it wasn't really whether the print server supports WEP (which one of the Linksys models i was looking at did, and i have since found out that my mom set up WEP to the router from the 2 comps, not WPA) that was the concern.

i am just having trouble mentally laying out how the configuration of the print server from a client system would occur.

to try and sum up the gist of the info i need......

if you attach a system (workstation or server) onto a LAN.... let;s say just plugging it into the common 10/100 switch...., will the other systems still be able to communicate with it? is WEP/WPA only relevant between the router and the client systems? would a system on the LAN (a print server in this case) still be able to communicate with the other systems on the LAN, and vice-versa?

the hurdle here is getting the print server configured from one of the client systems on the LAN which are already set up for WEP. as long as a WEP-enabled system can see and comm with the (as of yet) non-WEP configured print server, we're home free.

thanks again, syke..... i really appreciate the help. i don't want to send my dad headache in a box for his birthday (if that;s what it will wind up being).
    Last edited by Faust; 05-29-04 at 08:29 PM.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

if you attach a system (workstation or server) onto a LAN.... let;s say just plugging it into the common 10/100 switch...., will the other systems still be able to communicate with it? is WEP/WPA only relevant between the router and the client systems? would a system on the LAN (a print server in this case) still be able to communicate with the other systems on the LAN, and vice-versa?
    Yep, your correct.

Look at the Linksys site. They provide very clearly laid out schematics of where the product you are considering fits into your network. Good visual reference.