Thread: primary/secondary ide?

Jen's Best Friend RoscoPColtrane's Avatar

primary/secondary ide?

Quick question. im used to running my HDDs from the primary ide and my other drives on my secondary. However my new mobo is kinda small and my case is a full sized tower, the secondary will not reach for both drives (burner and dvd) so i switched them to the primary and the HDD to the secondary. I booted and went into the bios and everythign was properly scanned and i could view each of the hdds and the drives, my quesiton is will i notice a difference in performance by booting from the HDD that runs from the secondary ide? Thanks

jbkm
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XL Champions!!!!!

great now im havng I/O conflicts, how do i change these in win2k? Can't seem to find it with the device manager...
    ****************************************************************************************
    Abit NF7-S 2.0, Barton 2500+ @ 2.2 Ghz, 2 Gig ddr3200, 80gig Seagate HDD, ATI x850 PRO @ 550/600, WinXP Pro

J B K M

The HDD you boot from should be primary on ide0 if the cable doesnt reach, but a new cable that will

"should be" for a reason or is it just common practice? So far i have noticed no difference...will this work untill i can get out and get new ides?

J B K M

Quote Originally Posted by JBKM
    "should be" for a reason or is it just common practice? So far i have noticed no difference...will this work untill i can get out and get new ides?

Never tried it myself, dunno. Sounds like a good way to cause problems to me, but I have nothing to back that up with.

are you still haveing "haveing I/O conflicts" issues ?
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

It will run fine that way. I had a older pc I ran that way and still do. Do to when I hook up the harddrive My cable was to short. Never bother to replace it. The Pc has been running that way for two years now No problems. If it bothers you just buy a longer cable.
    Have A Nice Day!!!!!!!!!

kewl, its been running okay like this so far. I don't know whats up with the dvd rom tho. It can see the dvd titles when i put the disks in but when i boot up to watch a movie it says that the disk may be damaged becasue it can't read it.... weird....

J B K M

Old habits are hard to break. On older PC's you didn't have a choice. It was either boot from the harddrive ,floppy and maybe cd-rom. There was no HDD1 HDD2 the only option was hard drive and it had to be on the primary master. These days IDE 0 is identical to IDE 1. Why would they give you the option to boot from the second IDE controller if it didn't work? The IO errors may be a result of a damaged IDE cable. I got them on my raid setup because my IDE cables were too long. If you had them stretched tight or had trouble getting them on or off one may be damaged. To be honest that's just a ques, but if you have another cable it may be worth it to swap them.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

got it going! I swapped out the ide with newer ones, still ribbon type still booting from ide 1 instead of ide 0 , the io problem is gone and i was able to watch a movie...looked pretty good too! thanks for the help and the info

jbkm

J B K M