Thread: Should I RMA my HD?

Should I RMA my HD?

I've been having quite a bit of troubles with it. Everything seems to be working fine now though, except for the odd random reboot.

When The Goog was formatting my hard drive an error message came up. After it reached 100% a message came up on the next screen saying it was unable to format, or maybe it said partition can't remember...one of the 2 anyways, due to damage. We tried again...and it worked the 2nd time though.

It seems to be working fine but I'm worried it may crap out on me.

What would you guys do?

I haven't dropped or abused my HD if there is something wrong with it it should be a manufacturer defect. I've only had it for 3-4 weeks now I think.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

deleted_acct
    Ya do it!

Do I go to Western Digital's site and email them?

Never done it before...

ahh warrenty services..
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

deleted_acct
    I think you contact your retailer.Such as newegg.

The place I bought it from only has a 30 day warrenty, I think I am over 30 days. But WD has a longer warrenty with it.

It's warrentied until 5/4/07.

What do you usually tell them for the reason when you RMA? I don't want to sound like anymore of a dumbarse then I already am

Should I tell them "When I tried to format / partition the drive it came up with an error stating the drive was unable to do so because of damage." ?

Quote Originally Posted by *cho*
    Should I tell them "When I tried to format / partition the drive it came up with an error stating the drive was unable to do so because of damage." ?

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    thanks

Run The DLG Diagnostic for The HardDrive - It will Test the Drive for you

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#diagutils

Duz !!
    (The Protection of all with the Wadget Eye)
    (Never Trust Intel To Do AMD'S Job)

When I go to d/l either the zip or the exe file I get a screen that says no WD page matching my request.

http://support.wdc.com/download/dlg/DlgDiagv504.exe

I've got another question too. Could a damaged HD cause a computer to spontainously reboot? cause my computer has been doing that a lot. I have scanned for viruses using both Norton and Housecall and they came up clean.

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720
    What wattage powersupply do you have?
    Can you please post your voltages (you can see it from the bios)
    and usually if your computer randomly reboots, could be many things but usually is:
    1.) Powersupply is supplying lower voltages then needed (I.E Your 12V is only giving 10.4)
    2.) You have too many devices draining your powersupply.
    3.) Funny but true, try resetting your bios via jumper and re do the settings. You'd be amazed at how this will work for most people's boards.

Usually a ****ty powersupply is at the heart of the problem for most reboot for most people.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

just call the 800 number on the drive or find the warranty number on their website, call them up and say "I'm having problems with it" they will issue you an RMA immediately, with very few questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.