Thread: Having trouble Flashing my BIOS

Unhappy Having trouble Flashing my BIOS

Following the advice from this thread

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=143755

My friend tried to update my bios. My current bios is A7N8X Rev.1001.E, trying to update it to A7N8X BIOS 1007. We had to create a MS-Dos startup disk on a floppy and also put on it AWDFLASH.exe and AN8B1007.Bin ( the unzipped fiel for the A7N8X 1007 BIOS). Set primary boot device as A: and popped in the floppy. My computer then loaded into Dos and while in dos we typed in AWDFLASH.EXE which brought up this screen

( this is not a pic of my computer by the way it is from another site so mock it all you want )

That screen ask for the file name which we entered (AN8B1007.BIN) then it asked if we wanted to save, we choose yes. It asked for a name my friend choose CHO. Then after it asked if we wanted to program. First time we said No and my machine rebooted...but the BIOS was still the old 1001.E. We tried again this time not saving but saying yes to programming...5-7 mins later...nothing had happened...we think my compture froze. We tried again this time saving and programming samething.

My friend is now trying an newer version of my curren BIOS but older then 1007.

I've been having no luck with this...neither my current hard drive or my new one will boot up into windows and both have Windowns XP on them. Both hard drives work on my friends computer though.

any advice or commentary?

*edit* if it matters my old WD 200 was running FAT32 and the new one WD1200JB is NTFS.

apparently it is working now....soooo who knows...

BIOS has updated to the 1007, but the 1200JB hard drive still not boot into Windows (Disk Boot failure) and takes an EXTREMELY long time on the first start up screen and also on the second start up screen.

Sorry for the long post.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

always set the bios to fail safe defaults before flashing and after flashing use the clear CMOS jumper to clear any settings, then set up the new bios the way you want.

i assume you used the correct bios for your version of motherboard.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    always set the bios to fail safe defaults before flashing and after flashing use the clear CMOS jumper to clear any settings, then set up the new bios the way you want.

We are using the correct bios, but didn't clear the CMOS hopefully that will do it

Thanks for the help Mark
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Don't flash when your O/C and let the computer Boot before you shut down to Clear the CMOS - I Know I killed a Bios chip not letting the computer boot

What a pain that was

Duz !!
    (The Protection of all with the Wadget Eye)
    (Never Trust Intel To Do AMD'S Job)

I can imagine...

Well I don't O/C so that is not a worry for me

By letting it boot do you mean after we have flashed the BIOS let it boot until it ask the boot disc, then shut it down before we proceed to clear the CMOS ?

Quote Originally Posted by *cho*
    I can imagine...

Well I don't O/C so that is not a worry for me

By letting it boot do you mean after we have flashed the BIOS let it boot until it ask the boot disc, then shut it down before we proceed to clear the CMOS ?
    It will ask to shut down - then let it Boot up

Duz !!

Is the board a A7n8x-x board ? The new bios is 1009 - If that is the Board

Here is a Link at Asus that might help

http://www.asus.com/support/english/.../awdflash.aspx

Duz !!