Thread: Intranet Secondary DNS HELP! please.

Intranet Secondary DNS HELP! please.

Hello!

I have a Primary Domain Controller that is also an intranet DNS and DHCP Server operating in Windows 2003 in one of my office and I want to setup a secondary Domain controller, DHCP, DNS for the same zone in my other office to replicate with the primary DNS. I already have a T1 to communicate between the offices. In one of my office the IP address table is 192.168.1.x and in my second office the IP address table is 192.168.2.x. The problem I have is that in my second office I donít have a DHCP server and my primary DHCP server is not able to assign IP's to my second office computers. Also it takes very long authenticate user from my second office. Thatís why I want to setup this secondary server. But my mayor problem is that I donít know how to setup my secondary server as a secondary DNS. I tried to setup the secondary DNS following this steps http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;816518 but when I add the New Zone it say that the zone already exist and cant be created. Can someone please explain it to me detailed? Remember that my DNS is intranet and not Internet. Do I need to create a reverse lookup? Where? On my Primary or my secondary? What is reverse lookup used for? Is there a way I can set up this second server so the computers in my second office can authenticate with him and then it can replicate with the primary server? Would be appreciated if someone can help me out.

Thank You

These are AD DC's, right? You should be able to just setup the zones as AD integrated and they should replicate them selves without any intervention.

I'm assuming that when you promoted the server you made it a backup controller in the same domain, right?

This should help you out