Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ntfs.sys error help

bugme
    I've got similar errors on my coworkers machine. Is this error message a sign that the drive is dying? Is it a hardware problem? Or is the hard drive fine and just needs to be reformatted? TIA folks.

Quote Originally Posted by YESS
    I receive the same error but am unable to run recovery console, or repair the installation ... as soon as setup tries to access hard drive, or I try to boot during the XP Pro splash screen, the computer bluescreens with the following error:

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902F8, 0xF89B8704, 0xF89B8404, 0xF81C6411)

ntfs.sys - address F81C6411 base at F8158000, Datestamp 3B7DC5D0

Until i can find out how to repair it i am installing xp on another drive and am going to attempt to boot my current/corrupt one as slave, but I dont think it will work as it didnt the last time this happened to me about 6 months ago. If anyone has a suggestion it would be much appreciated.
    I know this is an old thread, but I have not seen any easy solution to this problem. You obviously can't do anything even from DOS. Go here and get this:
    http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/

Hi all,

Two weeks ago I had the same NTFS.SYS error on the system. During a normal running system, I got a blue screen that Windows XP (SP2) was doing a memory dump. Short after that, the PC did a reboot with the well known result ntfs.sys error and loops.

After searching the web, I came to this forum and tried all was written with no luck, even starting up with a FAT/FAT32 drive, renaming ntfs.sys into ntfs.old. Connecting the 'error' HD (S-ATA) on the system + startup the PC, same error. Disconnected the 'error' HD and reboot, no problem with the FAT HD (master). Once again looking for the ntfs.old file and I saw that XP replaced the ntfs.sys by itself. I had ntsf.sys and ntfs.old in the same /windows/system32/drivers directory. I deleted the .old file and renamed again the .sys file into .old + reboot without connecting the 'error' HD -> same results. XP replaced the ntfs.sys file again.

The last thing I could do (I wouldn't format the HD because it has over the 30 GB on it) was trying to start up the computer with the Knoppix CD. I downloaded version 4.0 from the Knopper website and burned a CD. Starting up the PC without any problem, I could read the entire HD. I tried to do the ntfsfix but no luck. I forgot to login as SU. After typing SU + enter (no password needed) I restarted the file with luck. A few information came on the screen, shutdown Knoppix and did a reboot of the system. Windows XP started, the blue screen was gone and it did automatically a CHKDSK. After the checkdisk, XP did the reboot and I had my Windows running.

If someone should have the same problem like I had (the loop rebooting) :
    - don't try to startup with the XP CD for possible R ;
    - download with an other PC the latest Knoppix ISO file and burn it on a CD ;
    - boot the 'bad' PC with the Knoppix PC ;
    - click on the Command Icon ;
    - type SU + enter ;
    - type ntfsfix /dev/sda1 (or the right drive information you have of the harddisk like shown on the desktop hda1, hda2, sda5 ...) ;
    - a few lines of information comes on the screen ;
    - shutdown Knoppix ;
    - take out the CD + reboot ;
    - XP starts up and the chkdsk start itself ;
    - after the chkdsk the PC reboots with positive results.

Now I know ONCE AGAIN that Linux is a much better OS then Windows. And it's oh so funny that we need Linux to repair a NTFS partition or HD. Even Microsoft can't solve the problems of their own Operating System (or they won't give us the right information).

And yes, you are right why I am running XP if Linux is so much better and more stable. The software I am running from my big boss is only running on Windows and not (oh so sorry) on Linux. Running the software on Linux with a Windows emulator is not the problem but it runs much too slow. So I have no other choice.

Good luck and many thanks for all the information I could find here.

Smile

One of the easiest ways is to put a windows xp cd in the cd drive

when it starts up, press R to go into the recovery

then log on to your operating system if it asks you to

then type in exactly: CHKDSK /R

then let it run (usually takes about 40 min)

then reboot your computer

then you're all set

your computer should run fine now.

Please read thread before responding...

If you had read what this issue was then you would have known that you CANNOT put in a windows disk and go to the restore console... I have the same thing happening to me right now that is why I am here... no matter what you do outside of having something different to boot up the system will give you the BSoD or keep rebooting.
    So please before you are quick to tell someone how to do something please read what all of the issues are so that way you have a real understanding of what the problem is and can offer good useful advise!

Thank you so very much!

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720
    Quote Originally Posted by bugme View Post
    I've got similar errors on my coworkers machine. Is this error message a sign that the drive is dying? Is it a hardware problem? Or is the hard drive fine and just needs to be reformatted? TIA folks.
    Could be a number of thing, my guess would be that you core windows system files has become corrupt. I recommend backing up and doing a fresh install of your flavour of windows.

Here are symptoms of hard drive failure:

1.) Isn't detected in the Bios
    2.) Detected in Bios, but cannot be formatted
    3.) Can be formatted, but all data is corrupted.

Partial failure due to other causes:

1.) Insufficient power / bad power supply can cause a drive to act up and sometimes write bad data.
    2.) A bad IDE cable can also cause bios issues and drive corruption.
    3.) Overheating can also cause a drive to "fail" occasionally. Make sure there is sufficient cooling or airflow to your hard drive.

Usually if you can detect the drive in the bios and format it, its most likely not a hardware failure issue. Here is a quick solution which was offered earlier for those who need to recovery data and don't have a secondary computer / drive to get the data.

*If you are using an SATA / SATA Raid controller, you may need to make a driver disk and press the F6 option to load additional drivers so your drive can be detected in the installation period.*

1.) Pop in your windows disc and continue past the "Recovery / Repair Console", (you need to press F8 to accept the disclaimer)

2.) At this point, you'll see the Repair option (if the windows install disc detects your windows installation, if not (you harddrive failure). Skip it

3.) Now you'll see a list of hard drives in your system, select the one has your windows installation on it. Do NOT delete the partition, but continue to install on that partition

4.) Continue to install on that partition and it should give you a warnring telling you that there is a previous installation of Windows and it should ask you if you want to delete that folder, yes and continue to proceed.

After this windows should continue to install on your drive and allow you to retrieve your old data. This is called doing a "dirty" install, it allows you to get back on to the same partition, but all of your programs will have to be reinstalled. As I suggested earlier, you should only use this option to retrieve your data / back it up and then format and do a fresh installation.
    Last edited by terrancelam; 06-23-08 at 03:27 PM.
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro