Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: build me a gameing PC

build me a gameing PC

ok i dont know what to get so can a few people post a Awesome pure Gaming PC price range 800-1000 can go higher if i have to

Best thing I can say is sweat it out and wait. There are some major changes on the way my friend. Fall would be the bet time to make the move. Save now cause it could cost a bit.

Ok .. let me get a general idea for you:

Asus P4C800 E Deluxe
    P4 2.8C
    Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
    1Gig Dual channel kit (whoever)
    Raptor ideally
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Whatever case
    PCPower and Cooling 510Watt Deluxe
    Lite-on 411S Optical

roughly

sorry.. no prices.. that was just a quick idea.

Cybernetic Interloper ub3r_n00b's Avatar
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

go for a AMD Proc.

64 3200+
    Ermm.. wait for graphics card
    1 Gig dual kit, (kingston, corsair, OCZ)
    a Raptor and a WD 80 GIG HD

Ya definitely wait a bit, especially because you will be gaming, and new graphics cards coming out soon..

But ya, go AMD.. Pfft massa.. what the hell buddy u betraying us AMDites?

-Preet
    www.erudianart.com

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Asus P4P800 i865 (About 98 bucks now), built in sound and NIC
    Intel P4 2.8C or 3.0C or 3.2C according to your budget (180 to 220 bucks)
    WD Raptor drive
    Crucial 2x 512 sticks of their PC3200
    Antec True Power (forward thinking in case you get nVidia's 6800 series, get a 480 watter or higher)

As for video...here's the guts of your rig. This you'll really play according to budget. nVidia 5700 ultra ( best mid range) or 5950 ultra (great high end), or ATI 9800 non pro (mid range) or 9800xt (great high end).

This spring we have our next gen cards coming out. nVidia already has them rolling, their 6800 series. ATI, we've yet to see. As they hit store shelves, they'll command top dollar, and these will put you over your 1,000 budget.

Next fall you'll see motherboards with the next gen PCI-E coming out, probably around thanksgiving time. Around then the video cards will follow. These will command top dollar till all makes have them out, and the price probably drops 'n levels around this time next year. Not to mention let BIOS and drivers 'n such mature and get stable.

Tis the reason I'd just shoot for a nice midrange card right now, if I had to pick, I'd probably get nVidia's 5700u. That way, you're not spending a whole lot on the vid card that you'll be replacing in a year. And the Asus mobo....great mobo, and under 100 bucks...so when replacing that next year, also no big deal.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

PCI-E is still that far away ???

I figured thos would start showing up on MB in the next few months ....
    Network Engineer for Linux/Windows/Netware servers and connectivity for remotes sites via VPN in Roanoke, VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytflyguy
    PCI-E is still that far away ???

I figured thos would start showing up on MB in the next few months ....
    I think we should see some around June if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r_n00b
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

go for a AMD Proc.

64 3200+
    Ermm.. wait for graphics card
    1 Gig dual kit, (kingston, corsair, OCZ)
    a Raptor and a WD 80 GIG HD

Ya definitely wait a bit, especially because you will be gaming, and new graphics cards coming out soon..

But ya, go AMD.. Pfft massa.. what the hell buddy u betraying us AMDites?

-Preet

Intel has the edge over AMD right now.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    Intel has the edge over AMD right now.
    Except that Intel doesn't have 64-bit CPUs.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Intel Pentium 4 2.8CGHZ
    Abit IC7-MAX3 Intel875
    ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB
    Kingston/Geil/Crucial 1024MB (2x512)ddr3200(or higher if you plan to OC)
    37 gig WD Raptor(2 if you can afford it so u can raid them)

add whatever else you need from your current rig.

estimate for the stuff I listed is about $1300

Waiting would be good too, but sometimes its hard to keep waiting.

LOL .. Yes Preet I am betraying him .. bang for the buck is with intel right now .. that 2.8C will overclock to handily outperform the A64..

I know its sad.. but you cant ignore the facts for the sake of fanboyism..

Later,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sludge

True, but I think a gaming rig built now would still be obsolete before the 64bit stuff is the standard. Plus the price of a quality 64bit amd isn't so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF
    True, but I think a gaming rig built now would still be obsolete before the 64bit stuff is the standard. Plus the price of a quality 64bit amd isn't so cheap.
    Bang for buck is deffinatly Intel right now. Well, for higher end stuff anyways.

For lower end stuff AMD has got the upper hand.

I was just saying that Intel doesn't have 64 bit CPUs out.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

But, it would be useful in the future, to have gotten that 64-bit processor now instead of the Intel because most of us don't plan to just throw away the computer after it's outdated right ? Or do you guys sell your parts after words. What I'm saying is, I would still be using the computer that I'm going to buy soon after the next 1 - 2 years that it becomes obsolete and at that point the 64-bit will own the Intel 32-bit right ?
    You played the Song of Storms!

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    But, it would be useful in the future, to have gotten that 64-bit processor now instead of the Intel because most of us don't plan to just throw away the computer after it's outdated right ? Or do you guys sell your parts after words. What I'm saying is, I would still be using the computer that I'm going to buy soon after the next 1 - 2 years that it becomes obsolete and at that point the 64-bit will own the Intel 32-bit right ?
    A 2.8GHz P4 will be enough to serf the web and write for many years. It's the gaming that it wont be able to do for a long time.

In a few years 64-bit will be the thing, but Intel is working on their own 64-bit CPU, so who knows which will be the way to go.

I say get a decent computer now that can play the games you want to play, but don't spend $2000 on it. Just moderate.

I have to agree with Sludge here.
    IMO I would still say wait a bit to build a machine that will see you through all the developments going on now. Price cuts are my motive in saying wait though.
    The systems that have been recommended so far could do that. Ideal would be either an X800 or a 6800 video card, depending on how long you want to keep it, or even a 9800XT when the price drops. There will be bugs to work out as Cat mentioned as well but on the horizon are:
    -New CPU's with more cache and new sockets
    -FSB going beyond a Gig.
    -New chipsets.
    -DDRII.
    -PCI-E.
    -Next Gen video cards.
    -New form factor.
    -New MS OS with some steep requirements.
    -64-Bit with full support.
    It's both an exciting and expensive time to be a PC enthusiast.

So, now would be a crappy time to buy a cpu ? Man, I need a comp so badly right now. Well, I don't need anything. But I want it so badly to play over the summer. But if you guys say wait until fall, I will. I have faith in SG. Also, even if I DO wait until fall, I'm never going to buy the latest crap there is. Just a comp that's good enough for what I want it to do. I usually buy mid-high range computers like how a P4 2.8C is right now. Because buying mid level comps and upgrading them more frequently than buying a dreeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaam computer and upgrading less is still more bang for buck right ? Even if I buy a dream computer vs. a mid/high level computer, the dream isn't going to last that much terribly longer. Maybe like half a year longer right ?

And one more thing, why is the P4 2.8C so popular right now? Is there something special about it that I don't know about ? Doesn't an Athlon 64 2800 beat a P4 2.8C any day ?
    You played the Song of Storms!

SG Enthusiast
    Intel Itanium is 64bit. It's the next step up after the Xeon. Don't find those in desktop (maybe in high end workstation) rigs, though. Who needs 6MB cache?

http://www.intel.com/products/server...rver/itanium2/
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

save some money by getting a WD IDE 80 GB hard drive at best buy or who ever has them for around $59 after rebate and put that money into a better video card maybe, not sure if a raptor is really worth the extra for gameing.

maybe look into getting an AMD mobile chip and overclocking it, have seen some great overclocks, like 2.4 and 2.5 on air cooling.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats