Thread: Restrict internet access for local loged on users

Question Restrict internet access for local loged on users

I am running WinXP Pro and I want to restrict internet access to several local loged on users. %100 no access to any app or service they use. Just as if the internet is not there or my network card is not there. (my kids by the way). I have been in computer management and also local security setings. But to no avail. My internet access is Roadrunner Hum I am trying to think if there is any more information that you might need.
    onetopdog

In IE go to tools > internet options. From there you can change the internet access privlidges for seperate users. You don't even need to block the internet completely. With content advisor you can strictly limit where and what your kids can see.
    Null

That really will not get me what I want. They still could get online with there email app, different browser and other apps that use the internet. I know there has got to be a way a admin can stop all internet activity on any user he chooses. P.S. all this will be done local.
    onetopdog

Try the Group Policy Editor. If I remember correctly you may be able to disable the Lan connection per user. In the editor try in:

User Configuration>Internet Explorer Maintenance

or

User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Network>Network Connections
    "A never ending quest for knowledge as with knowledge comes wisdom"

Main System running Windows XP Pro: Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz, 1 Gig Ram, 2 80 gig WD 7200 rpm HD's, Radeon 9200 Pro, Envision EN9110 19" LCD Display, HP 9500 CD-RW, D-Link DFE-530TX+ PCI Adapter, D-Link DI-704P Router, Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem with Cox HSI

To actually restrict the apps that a user can run follow this link for an in depth explanation (And it's done in the registry so do a backup) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#xp_restrict Good luck.

Or use a firewall that has user restrictions like zone alarm.
    Null

How about releasing the IP as a startup option for each user?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    How about releasing the IP as a startup option for each user?
    and Norm has previously posted a nice little .bat file that will do it for you

you could also use a hardware config for each profile and just disable the NIC for any profiles that you do not want to have network or internet access.

-lance
    A mistake does not become an error until one refuses to correct it

Folding for the future

Password there accounts and don't give them the password. You did say 100% apps and internet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    Password there accounts and don't give them the password. You did say 100% apps and internet, right?
    That's what I'm thinking.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Nah, it sounds like he wants them to be able to use the computer but as if there were no internet hooked up.
    Null

Quote Originally Posted by lance-tek
    you could also use a hardware config for each profile and just disable the NIC for any profiles that you do not want to have network or internet access.

-lance
    I was thinking along the same lines, but I don't recall how to automatically bind a user login to a specific hardware profile. Isn't the hardware profile chosen during boot rather than login?

I'm also thinking the workstation service can be disabled under their profiles. Group policy and/or a script placed in startup should be able to do that.

Norm is on the right track as usual.. A batch file that releases the IP info would do the trick, but if these kids are smart, they can get around that rather easily by just "renewing" the IP. If the PC relies on DHCP for its IP address, then disabling the DHCP client service for those users would have a similar effect except they wouldn't be able to renew the address.

Yet another way would be to use a VB script in their startup folder that shuts down all the processes you are concerned about anytime they are loaded. I do this on my work PC in case anybody decides to get VNC happy.

If you use a startup script/batch file, make sure to deny the users access to the file so they can't delete it from their startup folders.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

You can restrict internet access for differnet users on XP using Microsoft shared computer toolkit as mentioned here http://www.techhelpcentre.com/showthread.php?t=148367. What you want to do is block all browsers apart from Internet Explorer, then restrict browsing through internet explorer, thus giving you complete control over the browsing.
    Hope that helps.