Thread: PHP header() misbehaving.

PHP header() misbehaving.

I have an interesting little login system that I would LOVE to be able to impliment. But I can't seem to get it to obey without using meta refreshes and not just header(location: ) rewrites. Here's the code - see if you can find the problem that will shove me back to the index page no matter WHAT I input for variables. (It refuses to write the cookie it should, and bumps me to the index.)

PHP Code:
    <?php

$username
    =$_POST["username"];
    $password=$_POST["password"];

$db mysql_connect("<SQL server>""<root user>""<password>");
    mysql_select_db("<database>",$db);

$query mysql_query("SELECT <field> FROM <table> WHERE username='$username' AND password='$password'",$db);

if (!
    mysql_result($query,0))
    {

header("location: http://lithorien.net:5001/");
    }
    else
    {

$cdata mysql_result($query,0,"<field>");

setcookie("LithnetUser"$cdatatime()+86400"/");

header("location: http://lithorien.net:5001/<admin-console>")
    }

?>
    Anything inside of <>'s is what I removed for security purposes.

SG Enthusiast
    I thought the you needed an upper case "L" when using header() but I could be wrong. (Though I have always seen it this way)

In your setcookie() statement, try inputing a domain as the fifth arguement (could affect depending on browser security settings)...and I use single quotes vs double - again, not certain that this is impacting but does change the way php engine evaluates - string vs literal.

The cookie bit is all speculation - I don't use them for security reasons. Is there a reason you aren't using session control vs. cookies?
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

SG Enthusiast
    I might also use COUNT to verify a user exists (as long as you require unique usernames the result will be 0 or 1):

SELECT COUNT(*) from <your-auth-table> WHERE
    name = '$name' AND
    pass = password('$password')

I use mysql password encryption - if you use plain text passwords in your table, then you can leave out the password() function

It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberskye
    I thought the you needed an upper case "L" when using header() but I could be wrong. (Though I have always seen it this way)

In your setcookie() statement, try inputing a domain as the fifth arguement (could affect depending on browser security settings)...and I use single quotes vs double - again, not certain that this is impacting but does change the way php engine evaluates - string vs literal.

The cookie bit is all speculation - I don't use them for security reasons. Is there a reason you aren't using session control vs. cookies?
    The cookie sets just fine if I take out the header() stuff and use <meta HTTP-EQUIV="refresh">. I don't think that has anything to do with the header() stuff.. *checks*

..no it doesn't. I think the problem *might* be that it's writing the header location stuff before writing the cookie, but that wouldn't make sense, would it..?

*confused*

As to why I'm using cookies.. it's just so that I can have about 40 different pages checking if a user authenticated and change based on what's in the cookie. I really don't want to have them log in every single time they come back to the website. Though if there's a way around that...?

I might also use COUNT to verify a user exists (as long as you require unique usernames the result will be 0 or 1):
    I don't require unique usernames. :/

SG Enthusiast
    Though if there's a way around that...?
    Yeah, session control or apache basic auth would prevent users from having to resend (technically apacheAuth requires a resend, but your browser does it automatically). Session control is better for many pages, though. PHP will 'know' that it's the same person without requiring multiple logins. Just add a bit to check that a session is alive to the beginning of each php page. This could be more complicated by the fact that usernames are not unique.

I do know that (unless output buffering is on) you can't send a HEADER if you've already started to send BODY. Try turning OB on and see what happens - this just doesn't send anything until the end - pages will appear to take longer to load, however.

Can peeps self-register? Explain the process to receive a valid account on your system.

Yeah, session control or apache basic auth would prevent users from having to resend (technically apacheAuth requires a resend, but your browser does it automatically). Session control is better for many pages, though. PHP will 'know' that it's the same person without requiring multiple logins. Just add a bit to check that a session is alive to the beginning of each php page. This could be more complicated by the fact that usernames are not unique.

I do know that (unless output buffering is on) you can't send a HEADER if you've already started to send BODY. Try turning OB on and see what happens - this just doesn't send anything until the end - pages will appear to take longer to load, however.

Can peeps self-register? Explain the process to receive a valid account on your system.
    Not using Apache. Using IIS.

As for how it works, I am writing an administration console. I edited the SQL so that usernames are now a unique index (woo - no duplicate names!), so that problem went away. In the admin console, there's a place for "Administrators" (one of two valid positions - Administrator or Moderator - this information being stored in the cookie I'm sending) to be able to add a user. The user has to request access from any one of the administrators - though typically the access would be given to them by Mod/Admin choice, not the other way around.

Edit: I'll PM you a username and account. Access the admin panel (and don't laugh - it's still in WAY pre-alpha) @ http://lithorien.net:5001/login.php

SG Enthusiast
    Got your pm - i'm on the road this week, so I'll have to check this later tonight.

SG Enthusiast
    Just took a peek - sorry for the delay. Looks like you're up (?)

Skye

I am, but it's not optimal. I'd rather not be using meta refreshes, because certain browsers on high security will refuse to refresh. That was my original question.