Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wake on Lan (over Internet)

Wake on Lan (over Internet)

Hola:
    So far this wake on lan works, on a LAN, but now I'm trying to do it over internet. I want to be able to turn my office computer on from home. I've read that it can't be done over internet, but, then again I've read that it can be done. Is there any special software that allows WOL over internet, let's call it Wake on Internet (WOI). And what about routers, ports, ip addresses..., etc.
    Gracias

Looking for information on this wake on lan subject, I arrvied at www.solarwinds.net. In this site I found they have a Wake on lan software, that, they claim, coud awake a computer using Internet. Has anybody any knowledge of this program?

Thanks

Advanced Member
    The WOL does not care if the Magic Packet comes over LAN or WAN (Internet).

However if you have a Network with (few computers) and Firewalls they need to be configure in order to let the WOL In.

First make sure that WOL work locally. Then make sure that you know how to get to your computer from remote place through the Internet. Then Open all the appropriate ports.

The WOL GUI link on the page that I posted above makes it very easy to do all of this (Free).

It was down today but it is On now.

Hi:
    Let me disturb you a bit more, JackMDS, in this WOL matter.
    Thanks for you adressing me to tha Internet site, I've found what I looked for at http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.asp
    So, if I read things staright, all I have to do is to open a port in the remote computer, let's say port 5678 (for example), dorward that port to my computer, and then at home start up the small progarm I downloaded from Depicus, fill in the fields, and that's all.
    Just one thing about the subnet mask field: what do I fill in here, 255.255.255.0 will do?

Thanks

Advanced Member

Lightbulb

Yeah that is basically it.

When you connect to the Network from the outside. The "Outside" Computer is not aware of which "Inside LAN" computer it goes too.

It uses your external IP and subnet to take you to your Router.

From the Router it will go to the computer which has the an open port that matches the one in the WOL-GUI.

There is an elaborate Help here: http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/w...ake-on-lan.asp
    Last edited by JackMDS; 04-13-04 at 02:24 PM.
    Jack.
    Microsoft MVP - Networking.

Thanks a lot, JackMDs:

Thanks to your help I have been able to do this Wake On Internet, following your advice I could wake my computer remotely. Now I can start (awake) my PC and, with the help of PcAnywhere, do a bit of work withou leaving the computer on for a full weekend.

Thanks again

Have to have router?

Hi!! I have followed your conversations and all other information sources around the web and i think i have a clue on how to start up a remote computer with lan.

But I have a simple question.

You see, I only have one computer in my home with no router. So then how can I do to wake up this computer from anywhere else in internet?

I have really tried lots of stuff. You cant unless you have a router (and at least 2 computers?).

Hope someone is answearing me =)

Advanced Member
    You can not do it without a Router since while your computer is a “Sleep” you do not have a Live connection to the Internet.

You need a Router (whether you have one computer or Network) to keep the connection a live independent of the computer.

You can find inexpensive Wired Router for $10-$20.

Link to: Wake On LAN (WOL) - Start a Network Computer Remotely.

Jack.

kwauhk
    Dear JackMDS

I need the same features too. I already tried the setup based on your suggested website. But still fail. My PC can wake up when I send the magic packet within same network. But cannot success via internet. I already forward the corresponding port to that PC. Still not work. Please kindly help.

Thank You in advance

BR
    kwauhk

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwauhk
    Dear JackMDS

I need the same features too. I already tried the setup based on your suggested website. But still fail. My PC can wake up when I send the magic packet within same network. But cannot success via internet. I already forward the corresponding port to that PC. Still not work. Please kindly help.

Thank You in advance

BR
    kwauhk
    Make sure that the correct port is forwarded to the WOL computer's LAN IP. Use the WOL GUI utility. Make sure that the utility is configured to the same port that is the one that is opened in the Router.

Good Luck.
    Jack.

kwauhk:
    I've achieved WOL following the advice of JackMDS. Just let me direct your attention to a small point (how clever I am!):
    When using thw WOL utility you fill in the fields for (in this order): mac address, ip address, subnet mask, internet or LAN, and remote port number.
    Well, when you push the wake me up button, in the bottom line of the utility screen, you can see the small dog running, and the message Magic Packet Sent to .....(here should appear the remote computer IP). Make sure the IP that you see is the remote IP address of the computer you want to wake up.
    In order to get this, you should modify the subnet mask.
    If, let's assume your remote computer is at

IP - 217.98.141.31
    Subnet - 255.255.255.192

You should modify the former subnet like this 255.255.255.236.
    In the way you'll see the magic packet send to 217.98.141.31.

Of course, you'll have to open the port you are using in your router, and point to the computer you want to wake up.
    You should, also, go into the computer bios and make sure the WOL option is activated. And, finally, instruct the computer NIC to accept WOL.

Think this is all.

Quote Originally Posted by JackMDS
    I can't get WOL to work over internet:
    I'm specifying:
    WAN IP address (router) - Mac address for computer I want to wake up - subnet mask specified in the router interface - remote port number 5850 is opened up on router and specified in the WOLGUI.exe.

I notice on the bottom of the WOLGUI, next to the running dog, it specifies the WAN IP address: ##.##.###.255. This WAN IP address is correct except for the 255 at the end, (should be 120).

It's not working for me............

Do I need a special router??

Thanks..........

Quote Originally Posted by Gort9k
    kwauhk:
    I've achieved WOL following the advice of JackMDS. Just let me direct your attention to a small point (how clever I am!):
    When using thw WOL utility you fill in the fields for (in this order): mac address, ip address, subnet mask, internet or LAN, and remote port number.
    Well, when you push the wake me up button, in the bottom line of the utility screen, you can see the small dog running, and the message Magic Packet Sent to .....(here should appear the remote computer IP). Make sure the IP that you see is the remote IP address of the computer you want to wake up.
    In order to get this, you should modify the subnet mask.
    If, let's assume your remote computer is at

IP - 217.98.141.31
    Subnet - 255.255.255.192

You should modify the former subnet like this 255.255.255.236.
    In the way you'll see the magic packet send to 217.98.141.31.

Of course, you'll have to open the port you are using in your router, and point to the computer you want to wake up.
    You should, also, go into the computer bios and make sure the WOL option is activated. And, finally, instruct the computer NIC to accept WOL.

Think this is all.

I think this is the answer to your question. You should modify the subnet in order to get the right IP for your computer. At leats that is what I've done.

Have luck!

Question About Wake On Land

First you will have to excuse my english.

There is one thing I do not get it, when you are trying to wake any pc using the internet, you need to open a port in your router and then forwarded to the desired ip pc, rigth????. But REMEMBER THAT PC WILL BE OFF, THERE FOR THAT IP WILL NOT BE REACHED.

Please feel free to email me at mfernandez@speedycomputers.us

I am been trying to wake a pc over the internet and make all the arragement describe in all the web sites related to this topic but still can't wake the pc, may be the router is a sh.......

Hi, vergus:

As for this wake on lan business..., well, it can be a real pain in the...

Anyway, at lest theoretically, is a straightforward matter.

You say that the pc you're trying to awake will be off, but this is a mistake. The pc is NOT off, you might see it like that, but it is waiting. If it were off no one in this world could awake it.

The produre (at least what I do) is like this:

- Select a port in your router (normally I use the one suggested by Depicus, 7 udp) and forward it to the pc you want to activate
    - Activate wake on lan in the computer BIOS
    - Activate wake on lan in the computer NIC
    - Put the right values in the little (and invaluable) utility from Depicus
    (mac address, IP address, subnet mask, and selected port)

Tha's all. One thing to remember is to modify the subnet mask, in order to get the right ip address.

Lets say you have an IP address: 213.47.155.152, and a subnet mask: 255.255.255.192. You'll have to modify the subnet mask to 255.255.255.231 to have the magic packet sent to the right IP.

I have to say that, there are some instances in what I can not get this thing to work. Using Depicus sniffer I can see the magic packet reaching the pc but after turning it of there is no way to make it awake.

Perhaps someone that knows a lot more than me, have an explanation.

Regards

Advanced Member
    It is the MAC number that counts, the ATX power supply keeps the WOL circuit On even when the PC is Off.

If your Router has IP reservation reserve the IP that is associated with the PC's MAC number, or use static IP.

Jack.

Hey guys,

following this conversation has been helping me greatly. Special thanks to JackMDS. Now I was hoping you might be able to help me with my problem in this matter.

Im using the WakeOnLanGui.exe tool that was suggested above. I have forwarded port 9 UDP to IP 192.168.2.255 (all PCs in that subnet, am I right?) (all PCs in the LAN have IPs like 192.168.2.x). The mac address is certainly correct. I have also adjusted my subnet mask, so it sends the magic package to exactly my WAN IP address. Now, I tried this whole thing from my laptop, to turn on my PC. The laptop is also part of this network, so I am not sure if that might be the problem. When I select "Local Subnet" for Send Options, the PC wakes up just as normal, because it just sends the magic packet locally. However when I select "Internet" nothing at all happens. I am sure I have forwarded the port right, as I am familiar with doing that for BitTorrent or my local webserver for example.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem?
    Thanks in advance! Skully

I have sorted my problems, and written an article on this topic and Remote Desktop. If youre interested, the address is: http://forum.boysen.be/viewtopic.php?t=44

Quote Originally Posted by Skully0815
    ... I have also adjusted my subnet mask, so it sends the magic package to exactly my WAN IP address.
    Could you kindly explain to me how to "adjust" subnet mask ?
    I had to use 255.255.255.255 instead of my "natural" subnet 255.255.255.0 ... but I'm not sure if it's correct because wol-over-internet sometimes doesn't work !

Quote Originally Posted by Skully0815
    Now, I tried this whole thing from my laptop, to turn on my PC. The laptop is also part of this network, so I am not sure if that might be the problem.
    YES this is the problem, you can't send traffic starting from your wan-ip and directed to the same (yours) wan-ip!
    To test it use the Depicus wep-page: http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.aspx
    it's ok !