Thread: Windows Server 2003.. anyone using it?

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Windows Server 2003.. anyone using it?

Just curious, if anyone uses Windows 2003 Server...
    and what are you using it for?

Thanks,
    Shinobi

Ive tried it.it can be used as a workdesk with some tweaking readily found on the net.Ran just as well as XP IMO,in fact surfing the net seemed faster to me.

I have played around with it a bit, but don't personally own a copy. Would love to have it on my job's network that is for sure.

I ran it for a short while... used it as a file server/dns server...

Got bored with it so I put XP back on that machine.
    Respect it.

Oh goody, great thread!
    My Microsoft Action Pack came last week so the day after I got it I spend the whole night upgrading my Windows 2000 Server to Server 2003 Web Edition. The name says it all, right? Not really, but I can say it's very limited. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on which way you look at it. Web Edition doesn't come with ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) Now considering Microsoft has put security at their number one priority, why didn't they include it into web edition. That's crazy if you ask me, I mean what if someone wanted to not put their box behind a NAT device and give it a public IP address you would need a 3rd party solution. Other then that, Web Edition fit my needs perfectly and it's not overly bloated like Standard or Enterprise for web serving. Iíve loaded PHP, Perl, MySQL, all working fine without a hitch.

I really like IIS6 and its added security from the start, got to hand it to Microsoft for doing a good job on that. Also, FTP is much improved from IIS5, there's a new feature called user isolation which locks a user into its home directory. I ended up having to change my whole directory structure to get that damn isolation thing to work but it was worth it, at least now I don't have to deal with NTFS permissions for FTP users anyone. That's a good enough reason right there to use it.

SMTP/POP work fine but the only problem I've been having is trying to get local mail generated from PHP to relay through the SMTP server. And there's no included web mail which blows. I have a few users who can't seem to live without it so I may be changing to another mail server shortly. But if anyone could recommend resources for SMTP in 2003 please post. Iím still lost with a few of the features.

I haven't really messed around with the new Active Directory but I hear it's pretty good. Hopefully YOSC can provide some more info into AD.

Overall, I like 2003. I've messed with standard as well on a server roll-out I did for a small business. Very clean and stable OS, I would definitely make the move if youíre considering it.

Just curious, what are your plans for Server 2003?

Been running it since it came out for a web server(14 sites and growing). Very nice product. The POP mail built into it works fine until you need some special configuration or multiple account with the same name under different domains. I run Exchange 2k3. I have to admit this is without a doubt the most stable server OS I've ever run from MS.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yes, have installed in for a few clients too...replaced old NT 4 servers with new 2K3 servers. One of our servers at the office is 2K3 also. This week I also build a Small Business Server 2003 for an oil company, replacing their old Novell server with it.

I have all the hardware gathered at home, just have to find the time now, going to be running Small Business 2003 Server at home shortly. Was running SBS2K for quite some time, til the ...ugh...Maxtor drive crashed. Just haven't had the desire to rebuild it since then.

Could call it "XP Server" really. Looks exactly like WinXP when you turn it to "performance mode" and "classic theme".

I hate the web browser "add to trusted sites" you have to do to all the time.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
    I hate the web browser "add to trusted sites" you have to do to all the time.
    Easy enough to turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    Easy enough to turn off.
    Yep, add/remove programs... and something about Internet Explorer Security.

Been using it for two months now I believe. Replaced an NT server with it. Used as web server and print server.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    Easy enough to turn off.
    Yup, just a lot of times I'm sitting down on someones elses servers.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just set it up as a VPN and NAT Routing and Remote Access Server.. for my wireless network.
    "Wicked Easy" !
    Very Happy So Far

Thanks for all of your replies..
    Shinobi

RRAS works great!

been using it for about 2 months in production now.

It is being used as a SQL 2000 server, as well as as a file server

no complaints

wmv delivery works much more effectively than xp i found iwth media services. the disks also seem to run faster using 2003, especially the older scsi and ide crap found in the server i run at home. i still don't use IIS though and keep apache/php/mysql.
    DESKTOP: P4 1.8A, 512MB, 80GB WD-JB, 64MB GF2 MX, JLMS DVD-ROM, Samsung 48x24x48x, TV2000XP Deluxe, SB128, 2000 Pro

SERVER: P3 450, 384MB, 40GB & 7.2GB IDE (Promise Ultra66), 4.5GB SCSI (Diamond FirePort), ATI Rage IIC 8MB, SMC 1211TX, 2000 Server

Inspiron 8500: P4 2.2-M, 512MB, 40GB Hitachi, 64MB GF4 4200 Go, DVD/CD-RW, M-Audio Sonica Theatre, SXGA+ 15.4" TFT, 120GB WD-BB, Pioneer A05, XP Pro

Site of Stuff:
    http://mysiteofstuff.no-ip.ca

Web Edition doesn't come with ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) Now considering Microsoft has put security at their number one priority, why didn't they include it into web edition.
    Because 2k3 is a professional operating system designed and marketed for use by professionals in a professional environment. I am not saying that you are not professional. But this OS is intended for networking use and server use, and generally such a set up is always behind a hardware firewall. In fact, it is downright lax and foolish to run any kind of server (hobby or pro) without a hardware firewall. Granted, the home hobbyist can run a server now and then w/out a hardwall and in all probability there will be no side efects, but in a corp environment there is definite risk and there WILL be problems without a hardware firewall.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH