Thread: Modem to modem remote desktop

Modem to modem remote desktop

I had a need to create a direct modem to modem remote desktop connection so I could repair my kids computers 700 miles from me. They were behind a NAT router and I did not want to punch a hole in it nor did I want them to reconfigure it in fear the would screw the current configuration.

I went out and bought 3 cheap a$$ modems, tossed them in the 3 boxes and installed the drivers. Went to do a basic diagnostics on the modems to make sure there working and diagnostics come back with all ports busy, WTF? I take one modem out of one box and toss a USRobtics in and rerun the test.... All was good. Moral to this is, don't buy cheap a$$ modems, you get what you pay for. Now on to how to set this up.

Go into system properties and click the remote tab and put a check mark in "remote desktop" then click select users. Read all the text there because some users already have access. If not add the user.

Next go to system manager then go to users and find the user you selected to have remote access and double click there name. Click the "member of" tab and then the add button. Click the advanced button then in the next screen click find now. In the lower box find "remote desktop user" and double click that then click ok all the way out.

Receiving system.
    Go to network properties and click "new connection wizard", click next in the first window and then click "setup an advanced connection", then next box should have "accept incoming connections" already dotted, that is the option you want, click next. Put a check mark in the modem selection and click next. Place a dot in the "do not accept vpn connections" then next. Click the user(s) you want to allow access then next. In the next box double click tcp/ip and put a dot in specify a TCP/ip address. I tried DHCP setup and could not get it to work, this is a work around. In the address area I gave it these address it could use, start-192.168.0.250 end-192.168.0.251, this gives you two address it can use. Click ok then next and then finish. If you now look in network connections you will find incoming connections. Note this connection will answer the phone always, so if this is your voice line you may want to yank the phone line out when not in use.

Sending system.
    Run the new network connection wizard, select connect to my work place network then next. Select dialup connection the click next. Give it a name then next, type the number you want to connect to then next then finish.

On the sending system open remote desktop app and then click options and then click the display tab, for god sake please select 256 colors or you will be hating life because under normal settings the connection is painfully slow. Click the experience tab and select 28.8.

Now how to connect. Open up network connection and double click the new dial out you just created and then give it your user name and password when it asks, then goto remote desktop app and type 192.168.0.250 where it says computer then connect.

Logon to the remote system like you were sitting right in front of it.

sweet...but is it tollerable? if so..that would ave me a lot of trips to other peoples houses

Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete
    sweet...but is it tollerable? if so..that would ave me a lot of trips to other peoples houses
    It's really not that bad. Has a little bit of a lag but definitely usable. That is if you set it to 256 colors and 28.8 connection. If you set the colors higher it will look much better but it will be painfully slow.

good deal..thanks alot guy

thanks for the tip. although the thing I ran into is the S registers where the modem S0 regester was not set to answer the incoming call, very corectable

Trouble getting modem to modem desktop working

Salaam
    I hope Dear Sid is still connected to this forum to reply, or some other kind fellow to help me.
    The last part does not work for me and though I am registered in the rX computer as a connectiou with 192.168.0.251 address I do not get desktop control. Sorry for the qoute but the post is an old one.

Best Regards
    Abdollah

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    I had a need to create a direct modem to modem remote desktop connection so I could repair my kids computers 700 miles from me. They were behind a NAT router and I did not want to punch a hole in it nor did I want them to reconfigure it in fear the would screw the current configuration.

I went out and bought 3 cheap a$$ modems, tossed them in the 3 boxes and installed the drivers. Went to do a basic diagnostics on the modems to make sure there working and diagnostics come back with all ports busy, WTF? I take one modem out of one box and toss a USRobtics in and rerun the test.... All was good. Moral to this is, don't buy cheap a$$ modems, you get what you pay for. Now on to how to set this up.

Go into system properties and click the remote tab and put a check mark in "remote desktop" then click select users. Read all the text there because some users already have access. If not add the user.

Next go to system manager then go to users and find the user you selected to have remote access and double click there name. Click the "member of" tab and then the add button. Click the advanced button then in the next screen click find now. In the lower box find "remote desktop user" and double click that then click ok all the way out.

Receiving system.
    Go to network properties and click "new connection wizard", click next in the first window and then click "setup an advanced connection", then next box should have "accept incoming connections" already dotted, that is the option you want, click next. Put a check mark in the modem selection and click next. Place a dot in the "do not accept vpn connections" then next. Click the user(s) you want to allow access then next. In the next box double click tcp/ip and put a dot in specify a TCP/ip address. I tried DHCP setup and could not get it to work, this is a work around. In the address area I gave it these address it could use, start-192.168.0.250 end-192.168.0.251, this gives you two address it can use. Click ok then next and then finish. If you now look in network connections you will find incoming connections. Note this connection will answer the phone always, so if this is your voice line you may want to yank the phone line out when not in use.

Sending system.
    Run the new network connection wizard, select connect to my work place network then next. Select dialup connection the click next. Give it a name then next, type the number you want to connect to then next then finish.

On the sending system open remote desktop app and then click options and then click the display tab, for god sake please select 256 colors or you will be hating life because under normal settings the connection is painfully slow. Click the experience tab and select 28.8.

Now how to connect. Open up network connection and double click the new dial out you just created and then give it your user name and password when it asks, then goto remote desktop app and type 192.168.0.250 where it says computer then connect.

Logon to the remote system like you were sitting right in front of it.

from double checking things on setting it up on a new machine I hadn't set it up on previously I can say yes it works, did you use 192.168.0.250 ? is the modem handshaking but not connecting ? we need a few more details to help

Logmein is free and works very well. You can set it up on many computers using the same login/password. I have 10 friends computers set up so I can give them a hand.