Thread: I/O Magic DVD burners... yay or nay?

I/O Magic DVD burners... yay or nay?

looking for an external DVD burner, and ran across an I/O Magix 8x external unit. normally i would pass by, but it also had a 7-in-1 card reader integrated, and my mother does have/use digital cameras (the DVD burner will be a birthday present for her).

should i stick to my normal philosophy and ignore the bells and whistles and judge with the original purpose in mind (and look into Pioneer or Sony or Lite-On)? or does I/O Magic have a good reputation (or any reputation) with their DVD burners, making the built-in card reader a nice additional feature?

thanks, for the help, guys.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/p...646325,00.html

Read the reviews or watch the video.

EDIT-----
    Get one of those and a external USB2 / Firewire case.

thanks for the link. am looking at some of those drives now.

i know people will invariably have a problem with this, but what my plan is (as it has been for years when it comes to buying computer stuff for her) to more than likely buy a unit from Dell (or similar). the reason is, my parents live ~2000 miles away in the midwest, and i want someone to be there for her is she needs support. not that i couldn;t offer it, but i want her to feel comfortable that no matter what time of day it is, she can call up tech support and get help. if i were buying for myself or someone local to me, i would just buy the external enclosure and a burner to save some money and/or get better quality components.

anyways, they have (albeit very limited) a selection at Dell.com. the link you posted to techtv will definitely help. thanks, qball15j.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard