Thread: analog modem to analog modem file transfer? Possible?

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

analog modem to analog modem file transfer? Possible?

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer files between to Analog modems that are hooked up together?
    I know it will / would be slow.. I just want to ttry it..

Must be some terminal program that can do it..
    Thanks,
    Shinobi

I know it can be done if both computers have two seperate physical phone lines but other then that I don't think it can be done with just a phone line between the two modems. Actually that wouldn't work, think of it like network cable.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You can use null modem cables, serial, parallel, even USB.

But honestly the fastest way to transfer files between two computers that you have in front of you, besides floppy disk for a few small files...

Just yank the hard drive from one computer, slave it into the other computer, boot up, browse through My Computer, you'll see that other drive as something like "D", and copy 'n paste what you want.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    YOSC:
    You can use null modem cables, serial, parallel, even USB.

But honestly the fastest way to transfer files between two computers that you have in front of you, besides floppy disk for a few small files...

Just yank the hard drive from one computer, slave it into the other computer, boot up, browse through My Computer, you'll see that other drive as something like "D", and copy 'n paste what you want.
    ya,ya,ya.. I know that... thanks, I thought maybe there was a method...be it hardware or software..
    that I never heard of, on the idea of linking two analog modems together... two differn't phone lines, ya... but directly...I was trying to think of a way to do it.. regardless of the low speed,
    I guess not..
    I know old Teminal program in Windows 3.11 and also Hyperterminal... you can transfer files and text between to serial ports via a null modem cable... and of course Windows direct cable connection... I thought it might be possible, to do the same analog modem to modem.. I guess there has to be a carrier signal present...
    Thanks to both of you guyz for replying..
    Shinobi...

I don't think connecting modem to modem directly will work. You won't get any call progress signals. The dial tone, ringing sound or busy signal is generated at the phone company's end. You can go serial port to serial port with a null modem cable though. I have one I made up in the closet some where. Be warned it is slooooooow.
    Last edited by The Dude; 04-03-04 at 08:13 PM.

If its an older computer, there are still isa nic cards available. I had a 3.11 computer with a crossover connected to my main machine at one time just to try it.

The two modems would need a voltage source on the telephone line then you probably could force a call between them. I dont even own a dialup modem anymore to test the theory myself.
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.