Thread: Prime Failure cause ??

Prime Failure cause ??

Hey guys , I have a small PIII 600 at home that I'm stress testing and it failed after a couple hours last night and I'm not sure what might be the problem ...

I'm fairly certin it's not the Memory as I memtested it for 12 hours with no errors ....

Everything is set to default , Room temp is appox 7 degrees C ( in my basement with no heat )

So what is the likely hood that it's a problem with the motherboard ?

This is the same system I was planning on upgrading to a PIII 1.4 CPU , but if the MB is having issues then I'm not going to waste my $120 .... I'll just find a refurbed MB and a low level AMD/PIII for a little more ( I just don't want to have to go out and buy new Ram to match the new MB )
    Network Engineer for Linux/Windows/Netware servers and connectivity for remotes sites via VPN in Roanoke, VA.

Cybernetic Interloper ub3r_n00b's Avatar
    im not too sure but i've heard that there has been some problems with Prime and P3's..
    I wouldnt stress about it - Run F@H for a while and if there are any corruptions, then u know whats up.

-Preet
    www.erudianart.com

Will folding actually Tell me if there are corruptions ? That's why I was testing it first before Running Folding ... I wanted to make sure there would not be any improper calcs sent in to their server....
    Network Engineer for Linux/Windows/Netware servers and connectivity for remotes sites via VPN in Roanoke, VA.

Cybernetic Interloper ub3r_n00b's Avatar
    Well if there are any inproper calcs, it will stop that unit and go onto another.. so then you nkow u have an issue

-Preet
    www.erudianart.com

So .... Provided I dojn't have it set to auto connect to the net , then theoretically it would not go to another unit and would just halt right ??

Originally posted by Mytflyguy
    So .... Provided I dojn't have it set to auto connect to the net , then theoretically it would not go to another unit and would just halt right ??

why not just let it grab another?

Odds are if its ****ed up at all that it wont even finish the first frame. So you'll find out real quick if it works or not.

any other probs Like reboots Lock ups?
    Cancer Baaaaaad! Folding Goooood!

Is folding just as trustworthy as Prime ?!?!?!?!?

The 600 Mhz in question failed on the very first frame ... So it's unstable .... Maybe a New CPU would fix it ??

But I put folding on my main rig here and increased my OC to 2420 ( 210 X 11.5 ) ... where I had it a while back and It's completed 4 frames already.

The temps are WAY lower than they were using Prime ... Before at 1.7v I was hitting around 60 C under load ... Now I'm at 1.75v folding and only hitting around 58 C ( I realize this is high for some of you , but hell I was getting 50c idle with the stock HS/HSF so I feel it's pretty safe. )

I had a boot problem and it reset at 1.7v but the increase seems to have done the trick.

I'm taking the little princess to the Field to practice some softball and I'm going to let it keep running. When I return If It's showing stable , I'll throw on some BFV and see if it locks up or reboots or anything.

Thanks for the tips so far guys

Venge This!
    How about relaxing memory timings... That always seems to help.
    Rob

Well the 210 FSB is solid ... I'm just playing with the Muliplyer right now.

so the Memory Timings shoulnd't affect it ....

Well shortly after that last post it failed

I'm certain a little more volts would stabalize it , but unfortunately the temps got too high for my blood ... So I'm back to 210 X 11 and running at Stock 1.65v Been running a good hour or more folding with no problems.