Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Firewall... ?

LSD melts in your mind, not in your hand.
    Originally posted by cyberskye
    There is but one god (zonelabs), and Steve Gibson is his prophet(profit).
    cyberskye, you are in jest right???lol

r u xprincD
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security
    Moderator-Beta Tester @ Outpost Users Support Forum

Dont make us quote from grcsucks.com
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

nt
    Last edited by Ghosthunter; 07-25-05 at 02:05 PM.

What about Kaspersky Lab's AV? Has anyone tried that before? I read from here that it's one of the best ones out there. Do you guys know whether it's a resource hog or not?

And how does Kaspersky Lab's firewall compares with the likes of Outpost, Syngate, etc.?

Europa2010AD, Welcome
    Have not tried that firewall, So i cannot give you
    any plus's or minus's on it.
    Your best bet is to go with either
    sygate or outpost(me i prefer Outpost)
    but as you can see you will get a hundred different
    opinions

r u xprincD

Thanks hayc59 :-)

Which version, free or plus, of Outpost, would you recommend? Are the extra features of the plus version worth the money? I am currently running ZoneAlarm Pro, and after reading about the negative sides of it from here and other forums, I'd like to find out more about the alternatives.

Europa2010AD, take a look here--->
    http://www.agnitum.com/
    and i would go with the 'pro' version
    and now that you have all that ZA stuff in your reg.
    take a look here before you go and install Outpost.
    ZA puts a lot of entries into the reg.!!!
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum...&threadid=7172
    we have great service at the forum also
    good luck and keep me posted
    have agreat day.Gordon

r u xprincD

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I tried Outpost based on your recommendation hayc, and I think someone else here strongly suggests it..forget who. Anyways, fixing up a buddies computer who was plugged right into cable directly, outdated AV, and no firewall. Sure enough this bugger was deeply hosed with issues. Cleaned it up, he wasn't going to spend the $$$ on a router like I'd prefer...so I plopped on Outpost. First time I'd played with it. Nice and simple, which was important for him, as I didn't want some firewall which kept tossing up "nags" at every action you did, would just confuse him. Clean and simple! And didn't seem to bog his machine down.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I prefer to use ZoneAlarm Pro. It's the best!
    I'm sorry, but I'm unable to comply.

Quote Originally Posted by fastback
    I prefer to use ZoneAlarm Pro. It's the best!
    No complaints here that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody
    No complaints here that's for sure.
    So far ZA free edition has been pretty good to me.

I'll tell you what, I sure opened up a can of chat with this thread.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Quote Originally Posted by sludge
    So far ZA free edition has been pretty good to me.
    I'll tell you what, I sure opened up a can of chat with this thread.
    yes you did!! but that is a good thing!!
    debate/opinions is what matters thats how we all learn

r u xprincD

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    As stated above i don't know how many times i used programs since i see debates on here from other techs i switched programs such as anti virus/firewalls a list of others, they were right. People tend to stick to products they use daily sometimes don't even bother or are not aware of other products.

Plus it's good to compare and contrast products to see what has what feature or what it lacks...
    Comptia a+ n+

Quote Originally Posted by mccoffee
    As stated above i don't know how many times i used programs since i see debates on here from other techs i switched programs such as anti virus/firewalls a list of others, they were right. People tend to stick to products they use daily sometimes don't even bother or are not aware of other products.

Plus it's good to compare and contrast products to see what has what feature or what it lacks...
    Yep.

I used to use Outpost free until I reformated my PC. After that, I put ZA on it. I didn't like it as much after using it for a while, though. It was too 'Windows XP', you know, automatic. I Like outpost more, so I switched back.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Kaspersky's firewall is called "Kaspersky Anti-Hacker".

It's not freeware and costs $us39-00.

The URL............
    http://www.kaspersky.com/antihacker

Croc.
    Croc.
    It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
    Winston Churchill
    Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.

To add a bit, take a look at our (SG) server stats:
    http://www.speedguide.net/stats/#refsite

One good thing about Outpost, as you can see from our server, is that it does block the referring site, another bonus in security...

I really just use hardware anymore and keep a tight system, however, many people do ask...

Thanks Ken And Thanks Fo The Info
    Outpost Does A Great Job

r u xprincD

Quote Originally Posted by dom424
    What did you replace Linksys with and why? I've been thinking about replacing my Linksys for a ZyXEL Router.
    Sorry took so long to get to this question...

I use westel or Speedstreams for xDSL connections bridged only because I dont have problems with them in bridged mode.. Up till recently I had been using Zonet routers and changed over to Edimax somethings going on at Zonet... But the edimax has been working fine. Basically there the same

They have twice the memory of the Linksys. More important in my end of things with small to medium businesses I need to have more than a few port ranges to block outgoing on.. Linksys limits the port filtering and as of late needs more restarts or reboots.
    With the edimax or zonet I can set up to 30 differant machines with port filtering I can even block a machine from going out to the wed where needed and still connect to remote the desktop.
    I have a couple of users that I had to set Outpost on and set there permissions to the point of them getting email only email only and no program install permissions..
    I work where privacy is extreemly important. (HIPPA Certified) I cant afford to have your insurance info leak to the web. Some of the Data goes back to the mid 1980s Imagine your health info leaking out..
    I have had to many times where I caught ports open on the linksys New and old.. Some of you dont need the type of security I have to watch out for.. On the otherhand and I'll probably regret this statement. I havnt had to reload a primary server thats behind my security settings Some of the settings I wont give out..

Outpost or Sygate with a well setup router will help keep your system clean. Im down to about 4 to 5 peices of spyware a week per machine and thats only because I sometimes get behind in updates OR Im teaching a new user in a office the DO's and Don't..

To all the business owners out there looking for info.. Teach your users what TO and not-to goto on the web. You'll find there not all as Dumb as they look.. As for the users I have blocked from the web Thats 2 people over 6 offices with now over 150 machines.. not to mention the Servers multiple T1's / Cable and DSL connections i them offices.. Be smart dont put all your security in one type application... But as I stated before certain software can slow you to a crawl (Norton and McDaffy)..

Thanks Ken for the added info

I prefer a hardware solution. I have a Nexland ISB that works fine.
    I have been toying with the idea of doing a netBSD or Linux firewall such a m0n0 or smoothwall.
    For our home there's really no need at this point, so it would be more for fun, or to replace the Nexland when she dies.

Hello this is my first post. I really find all the info on this site VERY helpful. His is my thaughts/experience with PC software routers.

I really likeed the free versoin of sygate but for some reason the new version won't work on my PC. I also had a full versoin of defender PRO its a peice of crap but the antivirus I like so far. I am now using the free version of Zone so far it is working pretty good. When I get a full firewall I will with sygate.

I am using a 56k dial up and am going to a ISDN 128k hopefully by spring. I live in a semi rual area so no cable modem or DSL. I will say going from a cable modem to 56k REALLY BITES!!!!!!!!!!11

Thanks again for all the info.

Speaking of using hardware firewalls.
    Could you not use a PC put two nics one for Cable/DSL modem and other for
    PC HUB and put a good firewall on the PC .