Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Firewall... ?

Best Firewall... ?

ZoneAlarm? Mcafee Firewall Pro?

I have no clue. I want a good one that doesn't take up resources.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

TV Fanatic
    I use Sygate and I love it, easy to use an low on resources.

http://www.sygate.com/products/index.htm

Others use Outpost and I hear good things also.

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

Those are the best SOFTWARE firewalls, however hardware firewalls are preferred because they require no third party apps. Just find a router with a NAT firewall. I have a cheap Linksys BEFSR41 router that was a NAT firewall, however I don't recommend this router because recently they have a firmware problem that keeps disconnecting me.

Originally posted by mmione
    I use Sygate and I love it, easy to use an low on resources.

http://www.sygate.com/products/index.htm

Others use Outpost and I hear good things also.

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

Those are the best SOFTWARE firewalls, however hardware firewalls are preferred because they require no third party apps. Just find a router with a NAT firewall. I have a cheap Linksys BEFSR41 router that was a NAT firewall, however I don't recommend this router because recently they have a firmware problem that keeps disconnecting me.
    Actually, we are in the process of getting a router with NAT firewall and other protection things. I don't even want a firewall, I just want to play with one.
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

LSD melts in your mind, not in your hand.

sludge, if you just want to play
    with one..then play with the best!!
    Outpost by Agnitum
    !!PlayHere!!
    and then stop by for some more fun here--->
    Da PlayGround!!
    you will have lots of fun!!

r u xprincD
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security
    Moderator-Beta Tester @ Outpost Users Support Forum

Well I am running a hardware router, but I use ZA Pro behind it and it works quite well.

I have to agree with hayc59, try this new version of Outpost. On this XP machine it has been awsome. It has not generated not one error or reboot. Have a problem or a question go to the link he posted, "da PlayGround". Their forum is awsome too.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Re: Best Firewall... ?

Originally posted by sludge
    Best Firewall... ?
    Unplugging computer from the internet!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Exclamation There is only one true firewall to date...

I am using Zone Alarm Pro personally but the free one is still in a class completely by itself. The sad thing is that the class it is in is the classification "REAL WORKING FIREWALLS."

What I mean is that only Zone Alarm is the only firewall that generates a "Cryptographic Signature" for every permitted program. This signature is then regenerated and compared before any program of that name is again allowed access. This completely prevents those simple forms of trojans that create a trusted program impersonation, but NO OTHER FIREWALLS OFFER THIS CAPABILITY.

Trojans are capable of using names of programs which causes all other firewalls to be fooled.

Please read as much information from this gentleman's website. The first link I'll post is focused on the firewall issue as discussed in this thread and the second will merely be the home page link. I suggest...as you would also after reading through Steve's site, that you post this link to your favorites list for future reference. This guy has the absolute best informational common language website on the internet...as well as all the credentials anyone would need.

PEACE!!

--Thcranky1

Firewall information:

http://grc.com/lt/howtouse.htm

Home Page:

http://grc.com/default.htm

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!!

TV Fanatic
    Actually, Sygate has the same feature listed above. If any changes are made to a program, before you open it/it opens itself it will tell you its changed and you can choose if you want it to access the internet or not. This happens when I update Steam. Get your facts straight before bashing other firewalls.

TV Fanatic
    I tried the leaktest program and Sygate caught it..

Get your facts straight before bashing other firewalls.
    Well it is obvious that you didn't read my post if you think I was bashing a program...and who the hell cares if I was bashing it...IT's a PROGRAM. However go read the links that I supplied and then after viewing Steve's credentials as well as his achievments in the computer world...then come back and start hangin your comments on me...I'll mereley tell you to simply respond to Steve's website with your comments...as you don't know yet due to not reading his site...he will happily reply to your challenge or rebuttle if he deems it so.

It is also apparent by your explaination of how your firewall responds that you don't understand exactly what "that feature" is all about. I stated that a virus (trojan) is capable of using a already allowed programs name and by it doing this it will bypass the firewall protection...this is Steve's discovery...not mine...I merely stated what one of the most highly respectable person's in the tech world said.

PEACE!!

--Thcranky1

Thcranky1 just about every thread you post in you some how tick someone off?

I have tried and tested just about every firewall there is and I can say first hand..... Zone Alarm sucks. The only reason it is so popular is because of Steve Gibson's site and I would put money on the possibility of Zone Labs giving Steve a kick back.

Exclamation Well let's see...

I wonder what it was exactly that pissed someone off...could it have been my answer to the thread which differs from yours?

You know the thing that seems so obvious to me is that no one in this thread ever stated anything close to a real true technical reason as to why their choice of firewall was their choice. I am the only one who posted real technical reasoning behind my choice. The most comical thing of all is the fact that you having obviously not read Steve's site. You go on saying exactly the opposite of what Steve has already stated upfront to not have been the case. Steve gets no endorsements from any firewall company and if you took the time to research prior to your opinionated responses you could also see the very detailed, well versed "CyberSpace Netiquette 101."

Here let me try to get you to the site one last time so you can review his whole philosophy about morals and values with the internet, technology and those companies that lead it.

http://grc.com/discussions.htm

Scroll till you get to the section you certainly need to read...

For you to think that by your statement, "I have tried and tested just about every firewall there is and I can say first hand..... Zone Alarm sucks." is so egotistical and ludicrous as well as pure conjecture. I'll take your bet that Steve gets endorsments from Zone Labs. You seem to know nothing about Steve and it is apparent by the comment, "The only reason it is so popular is because of Steve Gibson's site," proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have never even researched software firewall history where and how it began. Let me ask you what your credentials are that make you so superior to Steve who has labelled all of his accomplishments on his site. I honestly chuckle at your pompousness.

One more thing your comments lacked one single reason as to why you feel the way you do about Zone Alarm. I think the reason why you did that is because you couldn't figure Zone Alarm out and it became complicated and a chore for you to use it so you concluded since you don't get it...it sucks.

Another funny thing about your claims is the fact that you seemed to have slipped right past the whole idea that Zone Alarm is FREE to the public. Seems to me that this firewall company is so concerned with the publics internet security that they are in fact giving it to people to use. Of course you toss out your conspiracy theories about Zone Lab Technologies need a 'secret endorsement' by Steve.

Go study and do some research on the history of (software) firewalls. To coin a phrase...read and weep. I am willing to wager a fiver that you also think that Symantec's Norton's AntiVirus sucks as well. Is that correct? I wager this due to the historical similarity between Norton AntiVirus and ZA's firewall.

I await your comments which counter not me mind you but a man's claims who will forever be, no matter how hard you try, for the rest of your life...superior to you by leaps and bounds in and to the computer technological industry on a whole.

Wait a second...maybe I missed the episodes of Tech TV that you yourself were on...as well as the world media discussing your findings about spyware within Real Networks Real Player and finally I must have missed Bill Gates comments about the great accomplishments you have made to the world through technology and the study thereof.

I want you to know that if I pissed you off due to my post which not only had the opinion of a technological leader but reasons stating why the leader of technology concludes on the matter as he didthen I apologize. However all you did was tossed out conspiritorial ideologies and gave no reason whatsoever as to how yand/or why ou arrived at your opinion.

Gosh, I hope I haven't made you angry by demanding that you prove yourself or hell man at least tell us WHY you think the way you do for land's sake.

LOL

PEACE!!

--Thcranky1

by the way...if you have a problem with my posts and/or the way I answer...tough!!!

Maybe you can try to get me banned from this chat forum Adolf!

Thcranky1, I have to agree with mnosteele52!!
    You amaze me also with your un-informed
    post that just go way out of bounds!
    You no nothing but what other folks have posted
    or stated....please get a life.

r u xprincD

Yeah i suppose I'll have to go ahead and admit it...I learn from others. And as I progress in my learning...please inform me as to how you learn or am i to assume that you already know it all? Maybe you just think you do but guy, your own post counters itself...of course I learn from what i read...LOL...how do you go about gaining knowledge there Einstein?

PEACE!!

--Thcranky1

I am writing this on July 12th, 2000
    Not to mention the the kudos you refer to by Mr. Gibson
    is like 4 years old!!

r u xprincD

Originally posted by Thcranky1
    Yeah i suppose I'll have to go ahead and admit it...I learn from others. And as I progress in my learning...please inform me as to how you learn or am i to assume that you already know it all? Maybe you just think you do but guy, your own post counters itself...of course I learn from what i read...LOL...how do you go about gaining knowledge there Einstein?

PEACE!!
    Thcranky1
    I progress
    hardly!! you are and have been stuck on stupid for sometime!!

r u xprincD

Thumbs down

anyway.........

Originally posted by Thcranky1
    anyway.........
    DUDE!! anyways go play somewheres your wanted!!

r u xprincD

let me get this straight...

yer up in my face because I exceeded your idea of approrpiate reply length...and after running around the chat forum and pasting meaningless things on the threads that I started, you are telling me to go somewhere I'm wanted? Dude you just got done chasing me around this chat forum...how 'bout I say "hey man...or boy or kid...whatever the case may be...leave me alone."

PEACE!!

--Thcranky1