Thread: Losing Internet connection

Losing Internet connection

I have an XP Pro machine that generally runs 24/7. I have cable with a Linksys router and several rigs on the LAN. About every week or so this particular machine will not have an internet connection after several hours of inactivity. It still has a network connection. All other machines on the network have an internet connection. A reboot restores the internet connection. Does anyone know why this may happen? Thanks.

TV Fanatic
    I currently have the same damn problem and no one can fix it! I will be using the internet and then BAM, it stops working. To get it back working again I have to click the reset button on my BEFSR41 router!

Since both of you are using a Linksys router, try upgrading the firmware. If that don't work, give it a factory reset then reconfigure anything if needed. Sounds like mmione already tried the reset. Other then that I don't know what else to tell you with what little information that was provided. Only other option would be to get a better router.

I don't think it is a router problem. I have the latest firmware and the problem happens regardless of which port this particular machine is on. I do not lose my network connection. I can still browse the network, share files, and print to network printers. I just can't get to the internet. The other machines have an internet connection at the same time this one does not. The problem goes away by rebooting the computer but shows back up like a week later.

Originally posted by flyerI
    I don't think it is a router problem. I have the latest firmware and the problem happens regardless of which port this particular machine is on. I do not lose my network connection. I can still browse the network, share files, and print to network printers. I just can't get to the internet. The other machines have an internet connection at the same time this one does not. The problem goes away by rebooting the computer but shows back up like a week later.
    Your problem sounds more like an IP conflict.

Try setting all your rigs to using a static IP, and turning off DHCP at the router.

TV Fanatic
    I don't think my router is resetting because it still has the latest firmware. Do I just click the reset button? Someone said something like hold it while turning it off then on.

Originally posted by mmione
    I don't think my router is resetting because it still has the latest firmware. Do I just click the reset button? Someone said something like hold it while turning it off then on.
    That's correct, you have to push the reset button in while plugging in the router.

Originally posted by Norm
    Your problem sounds more like an IP conflict.

Try setting all your rigs to using a static IP, and turning off DHCP at the router.
    I have checked that. An IP conflict would not allow the machine in question onto the network. I can browse the network as always. I can even go to the router setup page from the machine in question when this happens and see the IP address table. There are no conflicts shown.

re-install your NIC

Try re-insatlling your NIC (network card) or using a different card. Perhaps you need upgraded drivers for the NIC??? Hope this helps and I agree that it is NOT the router, it is local to the PC.