Thread: The Fair Use Clause - Please Read.

Advanced Member

The Fair Use Clause - Please Read.

Hello, i am hosting games on a website and my mom seems to have a problem with that becuause she thinks its "illegal" i have already got some facts right here (the website i have only my friends and family know about)......

1: the fair use clause under the DMCA states that any person or entety may use purchased digital information for themselves and friends/family

2: if that clause was not there it would be illegal to let anyone BUT YOU hear a music CD when you play it

3: and things that you OWN are legal to share with "close friends and family" as it says

I need a more facts about this so i can show my mom thats it is NOT illegal.

Sooo. does anyone have any info on this subject?

technically, software is leased, you don't own it. According to most EULAs you can make a back up copy for YOURSELF. You are paying for a license to use it. So unless you're talking about freeware then yes its illegal to "share"
    It came upon a midnight clear up my nose

Certified SG Addict
    If you mean "hosting" as "letting people download retail games for free," then what you're doing is illegal, and your mom is right. All it takes is one person to get mad at you and report you.

Advanced Member

oh..

Originally posted by Burke
    If you mean "hosting" as "letting people download retail games for free," then what you're doing is illegal, and your mom is right. All it takes is one person to get mad at you and report you.
    oh..