Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going back to a CRT...watcha think of this one

Going back to a CRT...watcha think of this one

Thinking about going back to a CRT...i need for more viewable screen is more important than the room on my desk...wanna try to get a 21-22" .

what's your opinion of this one?
    http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2014283

I think I am gonna buy one I have been looking for a nice CRT for my main monitor.... I have a huge area for one ..... and I would rather have a CRT that is big as opposed to spending just as much cash on a little 17" LCD.....

Thanks for the linkage,

-lance
    A mistake does not become an error until one refuses to correct it

Folding for the future

my only problem is deciding between the flat shadow mask or the flat apeture grill type...i remember building a system for someone and getting the nec with the AG and it had lines running across the screen. b/c of those lines i am leaning towards a flat shadow mask type tube, any comments on that?

http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2319078

this is an unknown brand name but uses the mitsus tube and has a 5 year warranty. also does 2048 x 1536 at 85Hz which is a plus. a bit more expensive though

same monitor as you first posted but at a lesser cost ....

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...6c5ba6e94d4f8f

Folding for the future

im very used to Sony Trinitron monitors but decided on a Viewsonic for my latest rig and i fricken hate it.

my Sony is from 98 and its way better than this new Viewsonic.
    asdf?

Originally posted by colour
    im very used to Sony Trinitron monitors but decided on a Viewsonic for my latest rig and i fricken hate it.

what model viewsonic...they do make some cheap consumer level models.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by colour

I have both...but which model Viewsonic were you comparing? A or E series...yuck, those are bargain models for the budget retail outlets, G or P series...close competition with the Trini, as they are the good models.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have 3 Viewsonic E90fb monitors in my house, never had a problem with any, great brand!

Kyler1

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I don't feel there's a reliability problem with the A and E series, it's just the tube is lower budget, larger dot pixel size than the G and P series, and a much slower tube refresh rate wise at set resolutions. Picture quality of the G and P is fantastic, as they are the series geared towards graphics professionals and gamers. A and E is meant for the average home user, office worker, etc.

What I was saying was...if one is going to compare the brand "Viewsonic" against a quality tube like the Sony Trini...don't compare an A or E then say "Viewsonic sucks compared to my Trini". My point is lets compare Viewsonics good models...then make a judgement. Viewsonic is my fave brand too.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Certified SG Addict
    Wow. Moving from LCD to CRT. I...I am speechless. I must go drink absinthe spiked with hemlock now.

Originally posted by Burke
    Wow. Moving from LCD to CRT. I...I am speechless. I must go drink absinthe spiked with hemlock now.
    Well, my 17" lcd was becoming 'small' and i cant afford a 22" lcd...and i still think gaming is smoother on a crt.

Originally posted by loop2kil
    my only problem is deciding between the flat shadow mask or the flat apeture grill type...i remember building a system for someone and getting the nec with the AG and it had lines running across the screen. b/c of those lines i am leaning towards a flat shadow mask type tube, any comments on that?

invar shadow mask is a comparatively inferior to a good aperature grille.

to be brief..... though there are some pretty good shadow mask offerings, they all tend to be not as flat as an aperature grille (so there will be some "fishbowling"). brilliance and saturation tend to not be as good as well. i am not saying (or trying not to say) that ALL shadow mask screens are bad.... quite the contrary, there are some excellent makes and models out there. but if i needed to make a choice between the two methods...... it would be aperature grille hands down.

the only thing about aperature grille screens that some folks dont like is they usually have one or two teeny-tiny wires (depending on how big the screen is. it looks like a microscopic line or lines running horizontally across the screen. much narrower than a single pixel, and after a week or so, you don;t even notice them anymore) holding the grille in place and providing (physical) shock protection. the only time you really notice them is with an all white screen (how often does that happen?), and you have to make yourself notice them. i am sure for the first couple days you may notice them, but after that, the color brilliance and flatness and sharpness around the edges of the screen are well worth it.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Originally posted by Faust
    invar shadow mask is a comparatively inferior to a good aperature grille.

to be brief..... though there are some pretty good shadow mask offerings, they all tend to be not as flat as an aperature grille (so there will be some "fishbowling"). brilliance and saturation tend to not be as good as well. i am not saying (or trying not to say) that ALL shadow mask screens are bad.... quite the contrary, there are some excellent makes and models out there. but if i needed to make a choice between the two methods...... it would be aperature grille hands down.

the only thing about aperature grille screens that some folks dont like is they usually have one or two teeny-tiny wires (depending on how big the screen is. it looks like a microscopic line or lines running horizontally across the screen. much narrower than a single pixel, and after a week or so, you don;t even notice them anymore) holding the grille in place and providing (physical) shock protection. the only time you really notice them is with an all white screen (how often does that happen?), and you have to make yourself notice them. i am sure for the first couple days you may notice them, but after that, the color brilliance and flatness and sharpness around the edges of the screen are well worth it.
    thank you for the detailed explanation of this. I only have one instance working with an aperture grill monitor and it has always stuck out in my mind.

Well, my 17" lcd was becoming 'small' and i cant afford a 22" lcd...and i still think gaming is smoother on a crt.
    How about buying another 17" LCD and running dual monitor?
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

I can definately understand your logic. I'd rather have a 21" CRT than have to settle for a 17" LCD of the same price.

I run 2 17" monitors for dual display. But I can't imagine running 2 21"+ monitors. I think my glass top desk would crash through.

what did you end up with Loop?

Folding for the future

Well, im still shopping around...looking for a killer deal on a used one first. if i cant get a steal then i will prolly just get the p225fb new for $604 shipped from newegg. you get anything yet???

no that is the only thing I need to complete my home set up ....

did ya see my nice lil post of my desk as it is currently?

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...hreadid=139264
    I am pretty proud of it ... just need to get some different monitors .. the one in the center of the desk actually belongs to my fiancee's puter... since she is mobilized I took it to my office to go with the rig I just built for the time being .... I like to have all my computers on their own monitor

-lance

Folding for the future

Re: Going back to a CRT...watcha think of this one

Thinking about going back to a CRT...i need for more viewable screen is more important than the room on my desk...wanna try to get a 21-22" .

what's your opinion of this one?
    http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=2014283
    look on newegg at the Samsung syncmaster 1100df

AMP
    Gigabyte ga-7n400 pro nForce2 mobo, Athlon XP3200, thermalright slk900, 1 gig corsair pc3200 cas2, radeon 9800pro, SB Audigy 2 ZS
    case= yeong yang YY-B0221 server cube,550 watt Antec true power,1 wd raptor 74 gig,1 34gig raptor (page) 2 wd 120gig se's raid 1, 1 120gig se. WIN xp Pro, Dual display samsung syncmaster 1100df 21in(Primary) Samsung syncmaster 955df 19in (secondary)".