Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in the 50's

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar

Living in the 50's

For all you old timers on SG and I mean that in the best of ways.

Was living in the 50's all that? I mean I use to hear my parents talk about the drive-in, the dances, burger joints and the CARS!

Was life that much simpler back in day of sock hops and Wolfman Jack?
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

I was only a kid in 59 but yes..imho it was. Other than all the cold war stuff going on, scaring the hell out of young kids....

Simpler, yes...easier...depends...

Originally posted by downhill
    I was only a kid in 59 but yes..imho it was. Other than all the cold war stuff going on, scaring the hell out of young kids....

Simpler, yes...easier...depends...
    You lived in Idaho as child, right? That cold war stuff had to be scary with the silo's being built all around those parts.

Originally posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff
    You lived in Idaho as child, right? That cold war stuff had to be scary with the silo's being built all around those parts.
    Right after the Cuban missle crisis....my Uncle built a bomb shelter...big enough for two families...included with a pot belly stove with a stove pipe to the outside...lol

I can remember seeing the flashes of a bomb tests in the night sky...around 1958 maybe? The tests were in southern Nevada..a nine and a half hour drive. It must have been a hell of a light show for those living in Vegas...and a nightmare for those living in southern Nevada..

Simpler yes...we had one TV channel...and a black and white tv..no need for a remote.

Nobody cared if your lawn had a few dandelions..or clover. Movies aimed at kids were geared toward teaching morals. Even the early 70's were somewhat simpler than now.

I could ramble on this subject for sometime so I'll bow out and let the even older crowd give a shot at the subject.

I guess I started this subject from what I was thinking and saw last night. About 3 a.m. I stopped work and ran out to get a coffee. On the way to the store I saw kids hanging out around the place on a school night. No more than 16-17 years old.

I remember my dad telling me how strict but fair his catholic up bringing was in an all boys school and how my mom said she wouldn't dare look at another boy in the eyes.

Times sure have changed. And yes downhill I remember the 70's very, very well. Good times

Blog Entries
    Hi Joint Chiefs of Staff

"Was living in the 50's all that? I mean I use to hear my parents talk about the drive-in, the dances, burger joints and the CARS!

Was life that much simpler back in day of sock hops and Wolfman Jack?

-----

Simple answer...Yes!

-----

To be honest Patrick it was a whole different World then. The War had ended and all The Gears where turning again. No more Factories doing War Work. Cars where back with a vengance.

You could get Tires again. Gas was cheap as heck then. Lots of Sugar and Meat once more available to the general public. Sweet!

Stylish designs never dreamt of before now coming out. My Dad bought his First New car a 1949 Mercury Sedan. What a Bomb. Man how i loved that Car. Still have a thing for Lead Sleds with bubble skirts and duals. Drool.

We never locked a Door, never. Half the time in the hot summer months we'd sleep on the Porch to stay cool. Never a problem.

Girls wore Skirts & Penny Loafers, i miss girls and Ladies in skirts to this day.

Everyone was Happy as they exploited the new found freedom of Car ownership as well as Housing. No TV back then to speak of, we made our own Fun. Hell we were hardly ever in the damn house. Out playing and enjoying ourselves. When you got into a scrap it was you and the other Guy. No one butted in and when one had enough it was over and usually there was a shaking of hands and a new Friend made.

The Drive-in Theatres where magical. Our Parents used to take us their as it was cheap and we liked the freedom of being able to talk and move around in our Parents cars. Plus they had Playgrounds with Swings and stuff and Picnic Tables so you could come early and bring a Lunch.

In 1950 i was 10 and saw it right through.

I was driving my Dads Car since i was 13. No licence but nobody bothered you. I had Motorcycles most of the 50's, 60's & 70's.

Point of interest most if not all Limey's ( British Bikes) didn't even have ignition keys. Anyone could start it up, but no one did. Respect for others property, plus we Bikers had an Image. Hahaha! We'd Cherry your Beak if you so much as sat on a Guys Bike.

50's Chevies had ignitions that allowed you to unlock them if you wished, so you didn't have to use your keys.

The Burger Joints started about those times and we hung out their for the Food with our Chicks. Styling and Profiling! Lots of Rock & Roll on the radio. When you went home at night the radio went on and you could get the Boosted Stations from the US and Mexico as well, that ran the Rock. It was cool.

The Record Stores had listening Booths where you could go into a Pay phone like booth with a turntable and listen to what you were thinking of buying before you bought.

Duck Tails and Brill Cream were the style of the day. White T's and Levi's, me i had side jobs and was extra cool in my Cowboy Boots & Denim Jacket. Only wore my Leather's at night when it cooled down.

We Dragged at every light on the Main Street, or Drag, as we called it then. Loop around and back down again looking for Gals, till you scored, or where chased off by the Cops.

Roast Beef, Fries and a Coke for less than a Buck. Huge servings at the Chinese Restaurants Downtown. A magnet for Girls. Everyone hung out their. Good Food and reasonable prices plus the almighty Juke Boxes that ate you change as you played all the new stuff endlessly. Girls of course always wanted to help you make the Selections. A peck a punch was in order.

The Girls didn't drive for the most part so they'd walk in pairs up and down the Main to catch a lift with someone. We'd troll the drag till we spotted what we were looking for and make our move. It was great.

There was a cool Italian Guy who i knew. He was older by a few years and he'd sit in his Convertible on the Main street and play his Accordion. Good looking stud, he made out like a Bandit.

The Cold War came and went, but to honest no one gave Sh*t. We'd just came through WW11, nothing scared us anymore and at least we had our Folks Home again.

Our Parents when we were young had a rule, Street Lights on, get your Butt's Home. It was get your teeth brushed, put on your Pj's, grab a snack ( an apple, or an orange and a glass of milk generally) and listen to The Big Tubed Radio.

The Green Hornet, Boston Blackie, Superman, Amos & Andy and of course in Canada " Hockey night in Canada with Foster Hewitt announcing. Pretty exciting stuff.

Saturday morning all day at the Movies. Two or Three main flicks and lord knows how many serials and Cartoons where presented. Kids going nuts, hooting and hollering while spellbound by Gene Autrey, or Roy Rogers fighting the Bad Guys in their Black Hats ( bad guys always wore black hats) We'd sit in the Balcony mostly, but alot of Kids like being right down front. We loved our Cowboys, run home to Supper then out to re-enact the days events.

We had holsters and pistols and everyone took up a side and we played through yards of neighbours and in the empty fields that existed on every street it seemed. Always a place to play, filled with trees and tree houses we made and hidy holes to lay in wait for some unsuspecting gunslinger.

Older Guys took in the Sock Hops on Friday nights, me i didn't dance so i'd go talk with my Pals, wait till the last seconds of a Record, ask a Gal to dance and just as the music ended we'd hit the floor and i'd suggest we go out to the car, or my bike as i didn't like the new Record and off we'd go. Never did dance, simply do not like it. To stupid for words imho.

Free Concerts at the Band Shell in the Park by the water on Sundays. Great music and a good place to make contact and have fun. The Beaches on the hot Summer days, or the local Pool. Girls & two piece suits...naked Bellies...Major Boner time at the Pool!!!

Life was good, i started working at a Hotel at 13 and always had Bucks, bought my own clothes and pretty much ran my own life early on. Showed respect to my Folks and watched out for the Little Guys as all older Fellas where advised to do.

It was a wonderful time JCOS, full of adventure and a newness not present prior to the War.

People painted their Houses in Bright Colours & actually started to tend their lawns so they could play Croquet and stuff. Evenings in the Summer folks sat on their Front Porches and gabbed with neighbours walking by, all the while making sure no one was up to any serious trouble.

Any Parent would feel free to give a neighbours kid hell if something was not up to snuff. The word back then was "Jimmy you Smarten up, or i'll Talk to your Father! "

" Sorry Mrs. Jones i won't do it again"

"Ok then, move along now."

People actually knew each other and watched out for one another's kids etc. If a Stranger came down the Street, everyone kept an eye on them till it was clear no problems were forthcoming, as he was simply coming to Court young Sally down at the end of the way. All was well.

My first full time Job paid $35 Bucks a week. I had 1/2 day Wed. & all day Sunday off. 8am to 6pm the rest of the week.

We were young, in shape and for the most part in love as often as possible

Hope i didn't ramble too much & answered some of what you were looking for. Man i'd love to do that part over again. The 50's and 60's were the best ever imho.

Oh Yeah! Our Parents dragged Us Kids kicking and squirming to Church every Damn Sunday.

I married in Apr. 1960, i was 19 and had seen it all i thought

-----

regards

minir

Wow, I will never ask Larry, about the 50'S or 60's.. ..Larry just kidding, You brought back a lot of memories to me........In 1966, I was in Berlin, facing off with another youngster across the Berlin Wall...He had his beliefs and I had mine...Thank the Lord he never shot at me, or I at him........

Thanks Larry for the memories of the 50's and 60's....

chevy..
    When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty."
    – Theodore Roosevelt

Excellent post minir! It took a lot of time on your part and it is appreciated. Thinking back to the 70's I have some similar memories...

I must lead a charmed life. When I read your post, think about my childhood, and compare it to the specifics of my situation today, things stack up pretty well.

Tires, gas, sugar and meat are simply staples taken for granted. I live in a great neighborhood, where everyone watches out for each others kids. Movies and music are as good as ever, as long as you look away from the corporate crap.

Dancing is still as stupid as ever.

With the internet and satellite television, the world is at our fingertips. Our local school system is excellent. My truck and the wifes car can go thousands of miles without repairs. The local soccer and little leagues are top notch.

Sure there are dangers, especially related to the widespread availabilty of drugs. But with the dangers our freedom brings come opportunities.

I'm sure the 50's were great, I know the 70's were pretty good, but life now isn't as bad as the media makes it out to be.

As Abe once said, "People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    When they kick at your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands at your head, or the trigger of your gun?

Blog Entries
    Hi chevyman & WhoNut

I joined the Service in 58 chevyman & it was a time when things did get a little tense, however having been through WW11 it was all put in perspective. Pleased you came out alright.

Nothing much bothered me until the Cuban standoff with President Kennedy, though iffy i simply couldn't see the Russians being stupid enough to start throwing missiles in a no win situation, so that tempered mine and my Families concerns.

----

WhoNut
    The 70's were great years as well, but innocence was fast becoming a thing of the past. Housing prices were beginning to go up and the dreams of ownership fading for many. Cost of living was on the rise and if memory serves the Working Couple was now the order of the day.

No more Mom at Home taking care of business. Kids now being under their own care much too often imho. Too much TV & Homework for the Kids, their carefree days closing down on them. Not good imho.

Organized Sports the watchword of the day. The worst thing that ever happened to Kids and Sports.

Way back hardly a Parent came to Games and we ran our own World, with our Rules and code of conduct. Now Mr. Henry was paying big bucks to buy Billy Equipment and Billy damn well better appreciate it and Excel, or no more money being thrown out the window.

Pressures applied and soon no more corner Rinks and Ballfields as they'd been taken over by Leagues with Uniforms etc.

Mrs. Timmins could no longer afford to send Her Kids, as Mr. Timmins wasn't around and she simply couldn't afford it any longer. Kids dropped out and the problem solving once the domain of children, for children, was now being issued from on high by Adults. Skills lost.

Don't get me wrong wonderful things happened to myself and Family, but a price had been paid and an era gone.

Porches now called Decks were at the back of the house, drive in garages at the Front, how dumb is that. People Click and enter their Kingdoms without having to say Hi to Fred next door. Fred...what's his name, Ah! you know, Fred ???.

Satellites, Computers and not an Empty lot on the manicured Streets to play in, of course no one wants to go out anymore. What would they do out their? Play skills lost. If it isn't Organized, what do they do???

Nah! Better off with the Computer.

Chips, Takeout and Kids so far out of shape it's sinful. Bused to School miles away from Home, knapsacks bursting at the seams these poor wretches remind me of the Kids going to sweatshops in third world Countries. No Smiles & an hour a day lost commuting, while Mom or someone Teaches them new Driving Words...

Have we come forward. not imho. Yep! cars are more reliable for sure, they need be to stand the 1 hr. of gridlock it takes each way, each day, to get to Work. Not a Window open in the place & all the little beavers in their own little Cubicles.

Not 1/3 of the Men & Women working could Run around their own block, let alone push their kids around a Skating Rink.

Me, Old Fart that i am, much preferred the 50's/60's i fear.

A Gentler time imho, when you did for yourself and your neighbour if needed and a handshake and a 20 year mortgage gave you peace of mind and the stability to raise your Family.

Your Employer had concern for you and in most cases knew your Name and Your Wifes too. Profit was good, but cost cutting was not the be all and end all to the shareholders of the time.

Herb's Tool & Die on the back of a Ball Jersey was still thought of as a Good Investment in his Community and His work family. Hell they worked hard for Him, least he could do was give a little back.

I miss the 50's WhoNut, i truly do.

Take care and Thanks for the kind words you Guy's

regards

minir

Larry your a truly amazing storyteller. Thank you! What I love about the older folks and I mean that with the utmost of respect is the ability to recall the past like it was yesterday.

Ya know now I know why my mom has that certain look in her eyes when she hears one of her favorites like Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers or the Big Bopper played on her favorite oldies radio station. Memories....fond memories.

I guess I started this subject from what I was thinking and saw last night. About 3 a.m. I stopped work and ran out to get a coffee. On the way to the store I saw kids hanging out around the place on a school night. No more than 16-17 years old.

I remember my dad telling me how strict but fair his catholic up bringing was in an all boys school and how my mom said she wouldn't dare look at another boy in the eyes.

Times sure have changed. And yes downhill I remember the 70's very, very well. Good times
    I think the latest I got to stay out on a school night was pretty much midnight, although I think there may have been a few nights that were 1:30 am. Certainly not any later, and if I was out that late, I was certainly at someones house, not hanging around on the street. And as I much younger kid, I can remember my mom telling me to be home when the street lights were on. I think those days are long gone....for many of todays kids.

Damn I am old. Will be 20 soon, it is all downhill now lol.

Originally posted by AAF Striker
    I think the latest I got to stay out on a school night was pretty much midnight, although I think there may have been a few nights that were 1:30 am. Certainly not any later, and if I was out that late, I was certainly at someones house, not hanging around on the street. And as I much younger kid, I can remember my mom telling me to be home when the street lights were on. I think those days are long gone....for many of todays kids.

Damn I am old. Will be 20 soon, it is all downhill now lol.
    I wasn't under any circumstances allowed out during the school week unless it was for a school function or to ride my bike to the library. Study groups were ok....and we studied.

During the weekend I was only allowed out till 11 p.m. and of course my parents had to know who I was with and where. A phone number was always required.

Blog Entries
    Hi JCOS

To this day i too Flash back when a Little Richard pops out of the tune box at me JCOS.

Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee, Richie Valens ( He had a Girl, Donna was Her name...Me Too, my future Wife ).

Songs like "Love is a many splendoured thing", " Goodnight Irene " " Standing on the corner " "Sh'boom " " Runaround " & Little darlin'... got our feet to tappin and made that back seat of the old 49 Ford the place to be.

It was magical, as for the first time Kids had their own brand of music, as we'd been brought up to Big Band. The Dorsey's, Duke Ellington, Glen Miller, all great to be sure. I still love Big Band and they certainly where great musicians. However now we had something all our own.

It had a Backbone to it, a Beat that was infectious. Besides our Parents hated it. Nuff said.

Memory flashbacks to be sure and the miles & tears fade away as all of a sudden we are with Friends again, in a gentler time when Our World was New and We were embarking on something Special.

Next time you see your Mom smiling to an Oldie, Give Her a Hug!

-----

regards

minir

Originally posted by minir

Next time you see your Mom smiling to an Oldie, Give Her a Hug!

Larry did I mention my mom taught me how to dance to the songs of the oldies?

I remember my father use to sit there and laugh after a hard days work as my two older brothers and my younger sister and I would try to do the twist with my mother in the living room. Good times, very good times.

I too have flashbacks but from a different time but to the same music. And to me they were simplier times indeed.

Larry did I mention my mom taught me how to dance to the songs of the oldies?

I remember my father use to sit there and laugh after a hard days work as my two older brothers and my younger sister and I would try to do the twist with my mother in the living room. Good times, very good times.

I too have flashbacks but from a different time but to the same music. And to me they were simplier times indeed.
    *has this visual of JCOS sharing his booty and pointing his right index finger in the air while twirling it around in a circle...all the while, grinning like a Cheshire cat..*

Even though times might have been simpler...I'll say this...I've thought about it and to be 14 to 18 again? No thanks....those are tough times for anybody at any given time in history....

Originally posted by downhill
    *has this visual of JCOS sharing his booty and pointing his right index finger in the air while twirling it around in a circle...all the while, grinning like a Cheshire cat..*

Even though times might have been simpler...I'll say this...I've thought about it and to be 14 to 18 again? No thanks....those are tough times for anybody at any given time in history....
    lol

Tough times yes but I had two older brothers to learn from all their mistakes.

Blog Entries
    Hi JCOS

My Mom & Older Sister where quite keen on teaching me to Dance as well. I told them i didn't need to dance in order to have a Dance, or two. I got a Smile & a Smack if memory serves.

Jeez if my Buddies had ever shown up and saw that spectacle i'd be too busy Socking People all week to worry about a Sock Hop on Fri.. Hahaha

Have Fun

regards

minir

SG Enthusiast
    Ah, the fifties.

When I was 14 (I'm a couple of years older than Minir) several of the moms chipped in and hired a dance master. I still see and hear from my partners, and still dance.

Most of the rest is very much as Minir remembered it. One difference is that I went to an integrated school, something unheard of in those days. When I look at all the pain others went through with integration I am so thankful. I have a black nephew now on the way to Afghanistan to beat the air into submission as a Black Hawk pilot, and I couldn't be prouder.

What a pleasure to hear something pleasant. We just go a phone call saying Uncle George had died. That's the fifthe one in 8 weeks, on top of the parents of two friends.

Smyrna, Delaware Car: 1998 Honda Accord EX Occupation: Honda Service Coordinator
    I was born in 1950 and I can honestly say that it was a much nicer time back then.
    Antec Nine Hundred case, 4GB A-Data DDR2 800 RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz, ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP MB, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 video card, ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD, Aerocool FP-01 Multifunction panel w/card reader, Zerodba 620W PSU, LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD with LightScribe SATA, Samsung CDDVDW SH-S203B SATA, Acer P241W 24" w/s monitor, Canon CanoScan LiDE 35 scanner, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.

disabled account
    It is hard not to look back at one's youth fondly.

I do love your story telling, Larry. In those similar times, we were content with less. Perhaps it was that less was to be had, or conscience had some power over us.

peace,
    dao
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.