Thread: Windows XP Network Bridge??

NonChalant247

Question Windows XP Network Bridge??

Recently i was fiddling around with Network Connections folder
    And Noticed 2 Adapters a "Local Area Connection" And a "1394 Connection" Looking at my LAC i notice it had details about the IP address i've had for over a year from first attbi now comcast. The Device the LAC uses my "Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TXv4)" Cool nothing new to Me. Then i selected my "1394 Connection" And noticed like No data flowing to it but that it's status was connected for the same duration as my LAC and it's speed was 400.0Mbps. So i said to myself no big deal. I looked up what it was 1394. So i was Like ok cool my firewire port and looked at the unlugged cable on my floor.
    Then i notice the option to bridge my LAC and 1394 when i selected both of them. I figure hell if it messes me up i'll just undo it somehow. so i continued with the bridge and it like totally disconnected me from the internet and made this new lil icon in my Network Connections folder. I selected it and noticed some wierd ip information as my internet was still not operational. So i waited a while then i clicked the "repair" option on the support Tab of my network bridge. And noticed That i had a different IP address a different subnet mask and a whole different default gateway. Then i tested if i was actually connected by opening IE and noticed that i was connected as i always have been. So i visited dslreports to just check out what i had done by tracerouting and speed testing.
    I Noticed at least 100% increase in speed. My service has always been just above normal for around here@ 2Mbits=250 KB/s for a service that advertises1.5Mbit down. But with the bridge active it was now about
    2004-02-26 18:08:01 Speed test @ elkgrove.speedtest.fronti 3172/246 kbps
    which is usually
    2003-12-22 22:43:07 Speed test @ dslreports-west1.speakeas 1753/287 kbps
    So i was like sweet i dunno what it means but sweet. Upon Further Maxing Of the New Speed it is about 3100to4000Kbps =390-500Kb/s Constant and i've had peaks last a few seconds of up to 850Kb/s which is about 6.5Mbits???
    I know That comcast is recently uping their speeds to 3Mbits but like in other places but around here i've heard of no such thing So i'm thinking is that the DHCP server i was now connecting to was now in a area which the improved speeds were active.

Has anyone else experianced this?
    Can Anyone tell me what What i have done?
    Is A FireWire IEEE 1394 Card Required?

The Bridge's IP seems to be dynamic changing whenever it feels like from a few hours to a couple dayz. PIng is Same as always. Same DNS servers. Sometime the same DHCP server n sometimes a different one. I have deleted the bridge many times and it just goes back to my previous IP and regular settings. The Bridge Can Also Be made By selecting the "Network Setup Wizard" And configuring your network with the "2nd" Option "This Computer Connects to the internet through another computer on my Network or Residential Gateway." To get the following settings

Settings are With Microsoft's Advanced Networking Pack for Xp:

Local Area Connection(Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TXv4)) -to- 1394 Connection(1394 Net Adapter) -in-
    Network Bridge(MAC Bridge Miniport)
    Items Used:
    QoS Packet Sceduler
    Microsoft TCP/IP version 6
    Network Monitor Driver
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    NWLink Netbios
    NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible Transport Protocol
    Certificate IEEE enabled all enabled

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Has anyone else experianced this? No

Can Anyone tell me what What i have done? I think my theroy you had corrupted tcpip stack when you clicked the "repair" option on the support Tab of my network bridge if that took care of it.

Is A FireWire IEEE 1394 Card Required?
    Nope you don't need firewire.
    Comptia a+ n+

Exclamation I have done the same thing then went to look for ppl like you.

Ok for one thing my computer tells me it's alot faster now. I did the whole bridge thing and i think it worked. If you press Alt+Ctrl+Delete then click on the networking tab it shows you all the ongoing connections. now Before i did the bridge it showed only one at 100 Mbps then i did the bridge and it shows the bridge at 400 mbps. Now the firewire port isn't being used with any wires and isn't plugged in but it intertwined with the eithernet port i had.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Madblaster5
    Ok for one thing my computer tells me it's alot faster now. I did the whole bridge thing and i think it worked.
    It doesn't do anything unless you're using that firewire port to share your LAN internet connection with another PC using the firewire port. Windows XP supports networking over firewire. It's capable of running up to 400 megs..if connected to another PC using their firewire port.

Bridging the two will not gain you anything in speed. All it's doing is preparing the connection...to be shared to another PC via firewire. Without another PC plugged into this PC using firewire..it's just sitting there doing nothing..actually, it's taking up a very tiny bit of resources...but negligable.

If not using the firewire port to ICS to another PC...it's recommended to not have it bridged.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    It doesn't do anything unless you're using that firewire port to share your LAN internet connection with another PC using the firewire port. Windows XP supports networking over firewire. It's capable of running up to 400 megs..if connected to another PC using their firewire port.

Bridging the two will not gain you anything in speed. All it's doing is preparing the connection...to be shared to another PC via firewire. Without another PC plugged into this PC using firewire..it's just sitting there doing nothing..actually, it's taking up a very tiny bit of resources...but negligable.

If not using the firewire port to ICS to another PC...it's recommended to not have it bridged.

But it give me % that go up in that port. like more bandwith from the same connection.

I tried this too

Hi I tried this too to try to stop my broadband disconnecting every 15 minutes.

It's worked for half an hour so far.

Does anyone have any tips if to stop broadband disconnecting when someone phones?!! I've had a new phone socket.

It may be a faulty modem or card in the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Madblaster5 View Post
    But it give me % that go up in that port. like more bandwith from the same connection.

i hate to tell you this but it didnt, if you remove the bridge and try it again chances are you're going to get similar results.

bridging to a non active connection undoubtedly changes some registry settings but its not going to get you any type of increase unless the TTL and possibly MTU or RWIN values changed.

your never going to get any faster than the default windows setup. unless your on an ISP with some truly wacko MTU settings and TTL that makes windows defualt settings weird.

anyways.

bridging to a disabled network connection doesnt do anything and infact will simply cause windows to work harder as its trying to use that dead connection or bring it into an active state and it cant, and its always doing it. its always polling and asking it where its at and if its available.

if you dont know what those things are you had best not be messing around otherwise your going to end up just reloading windows because you borked your network beyond repair.
    Xeon 3210 Quad @ 3.6 - Gigabyte P35 DS3R
    2gb Skill HZ - 8800 GTX - 3x 36g Raptors in raid0
    3x 250gb Drives and 4x 250gb USB Drives
    CoolerMaster 750w psu - 2407 FPW & 2007 FPW LCD's
    ----------------------------------------------------
    E6600 ES @ 3.6 @ 1.36v - Asus P5N-E SLI
    2GB Gskill HZ's 1200mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.27v
    250gb Sata II - 7800 GTX - Dell 2007 FPW
    Mediacom Max Cable 15meg/1meg - Tweaks not needed