Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avast verse AVG; which is Better?

Avast verse AVG; which is Better?

Hi Everyone!

I have a Question about “Free” Virus Scanners. I’ve heard good about both “AVG” and “Avast”. Has anyone here ever used both and compared them? If so, which do you prefer or would say is better? I’ve read one benefit of Avast verse AVG is, that Avast updates automatically where you have to update AVG yourself.

Any help on the above would be appreciated?

Thanks for your time,

John

Avast.

1.) It runs faster than AVG does on checks and outgoing mail scans. Sending the same size file (1 MB), Avast scanned it in ~20 seconds while AVG scanned it in ~3 minutes.

2.) It has a smaller footprint. About a 20% difference in memory and CPU use.

3.) It has a MUCH EASIER USER INTERFACE. I cannot stress that fact enough. AVG is nigh impossible to navigate compared to Avast.

Avast!
    Cancer Baaaaaad! Folding Goooood!

@Paft
    Why is a smaller memory footprint better when it comes to an antivi app?
    Why is a faster scan better when it comes to an antivi app?

Speed is not the 'main' reason for an antivi app, virus removal is.
    A smaller footprint 'could' mean a smaller database.
    A faster scan 'could' mean it's scanning for less viruses and variants.
    It could be a difference in the programming language used to write the engine. What is AVG written in?
    What is AVAST written in?

So far I see no information at all in this thread as to 'why' one is better than the other, as an antivi app.

So, I'll post a real life hands on 'why' AVG is better.

Yesterday I was working on a PC with 35 viruses.trojans.worms on it. Using a bootable CD I used AVAST with the latest updates. It found and removed quite a few. Not bad, but still NOT better.

After cleaning up best I could, I installed and updated AVG and scanned again.
    AVG found 5 more. Not 1 or 2 ...... 5

btw - Sting, I don't know where you heard AVG doesn't auto update (probably from a AVAST user).
    It's not true Sting. AVG autoupdates as a default setting. If the user decides to change that setting, then I guess it won't autoupdate.

Originally posted by Norm
    @Paft
    Why is a smaller memory footprint better when it comes to an antivi app?
    Why is a faster scan better when it comes to an antivi app?
    Smaller memory footprint is better because it leaves more CPU cycles for other tasks on the computer. Note: This is RAM, not HDD memory. The databases are likely the same size, if Avast doesn't have a larger one.

A faster scan is better because it shows much more highly optomized code AND can do real-time scanning of downloaded files a lot faster. I don't want to have my file downloaded and run before my AV has even picked up that it exists.

On the topic of viruses: When I installed and ran AVG at my school, it picked up 17 viruses/trojans. Ok, great. A few weeks later when I learned of Avast and had installed it at my house (liking it better than AVG), I installed it at my school. 3 more viruses detected.

While you had good results with AVG, I had them with Avast. Perhaps it's the age of the viruses we're talking about, but still.

Originally posted by Paft
    Perhaps it's the age of the viruses we're talking about, but still.
    This is very good point. Viruses have been around a long time, longer than the internet. AntiVi apps tend to drop support for older viruses, thinking they are no longer a threat.
    Reality is, they ARE still a threat.

Your two supporting arguements for 'memory footprint' and 'scan speed' sound relevant. In reality , are they?
    Why is AVAST faster?
    Why is AVAST memory footprint smaller?
    Is it better coding?
    Do you know for sure?

This is very good point. Viruses have been around a long time, longer than the internet. AntiVi apps tend to drop support for older viruses, thinking they are no longer a threat.
    Reality is, they ARE still a threat.

Your two supporting arguements for 'memory footprint' and 'scan speed' sound relevant. In reality , are they?
    Why is AVAST faster?
    Why is AVAST memory footprint smaller?
    Is it better coding?
    Do you know for sure?
    I couldn't answer those questions. I am making an assumption based on circumstantial evidence that Avast has superior coding in that, even though it is faster and smaller, it was able to catch more viruses than AVG. It's an assumption based on that alone.

Do I have solid proof? None at all. So it's your call to believe or not to. I won't take offense either way.

Originally posted by Paft
    I couldn't answer those questions. I am making an assumption based on circumstantial evidence that Avast has superior coding in that, even though it is faster and smaller, it was able to catch more viruses than AVG. It's an assumption based on that alone.

Do I have solid proof? None at all. So it's your call to believe or not to. I won't take offense either way.
    Thanks for an honest reply. I don't know either.

Knowing your skills with code, I was hoping you knew

I guess the question of "which is better" has been answered.

It's relevant to what viruses have infected you.

Advice = use both, one at a time. One antivi app will not catch ALL infections, always get a second opinion.

I have a problem with the amount of bug fixes that have been needed by Avast in the last year myself.

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1023.html

It doesnt get the Virus Bulletin 100% award every month and for every O.S.

http://www.avast.com/i_kat_13.html

Just a couple of reasons Id rather run AVG

I do like the screensaver scanner though
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

I use AVG on all my machines.

Smile

If you should happen to come upon a virus that can’t be successfully “Healed” or “Removed” by your “Virus Scanner”,
    and you still have access to the internet; try “Symantec Security Response”. It’s a great site that offers all types of: “Virus Removal Tools”. There url is: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ools.list.html

I may be wrong, but I believe the free version of AVG doesn't do auto updates. I'm running 7 pro on both my rigs at home, auto-update checks for a new update daily.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Originally posted by The Dude
    I may be wrong, but I believe the free version of AVG doesn't do auto updates. I'm running 7 pro on both my rigs at home, auto-update checks for a new update daily.
    The free version of AVG does auto-update.

Originally posted by Jon
    The free version of AVG does auto-update.
    Ok, I was wrong, I wasn't sure been a while since I used the free version. Why all the posts about AVG updates in security?

Why all the posts about AVG updates in security?
    Some of us like to manually update.

Originally posted by CableDude
    Some of us like to manually update.
    Also a good reminder to update if your still on dialup.

If you click the box "user confirms dialup connection" the free version will dial in automatically and update itself. Assuming your password is stored for your isp dialup.

I would assume all versions will.

I dont have a dial up modem to test other versions myself.

I am set to check for updates daily and still check manually.
    Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

Too many factors can affect an auto updater that will cause it to not get the updates.

Always best to update manually as well.
    Never rely on an auto updater for anti virus updates no matter what anti vi app you use.

Too many factors can affect an auto updater that will cause it to not get the updates.

Always best to update manually as well.
    Never rely on an auto updater for anti virus updates no matter what anti vi app you use.
    So true, with todays viruses. You get a virus that disables the auto-update, so you don't get the update that would protect you from the virus you just got.
    I do manually update but to be truthful, probably not often enough.