Thread: Unable to open an internet page

Unable to open an internet page

This one is funny:

A friend of mine (with a toshiba notebook) wants to visit an internet page that has to do with cooking. But he can not open it. When he puts the page address in the bar www...... (I don't know whether I can post an internet address here) You can see the blue progression bar starting to grow but it stops about half the way, and stays there forever. Apart from this issue he has had not any trouble with his surfing

He is using WIN-ME and a broad band connection.
    At home I can go into that page without any trouble. We brought his notebook, and hooked it into my line (adsl too) and there you are, he, too, could connect with that page, easily. After that, we brought his router, changed the parameters, hooked it aand tried to acces the named paged, and there, again, no trouble.

Back to his home and no connection, to that blasted page.

What can it be wrong? Any Idea?

Thanks

SG Enthusiast
    Has you friend tried going through Google?

or tried a Proxy (whatever that means)? :P

Originally posted by richardc
    Has you friend tried going through Google?

or tried a Proxy (whatever that means)? :P
    Going through google won't help but going through a proxy may. There has to be a better solution them going through a proxy though.

That's just odd though, I never seen a problem like that.

Could possibly be that there's a hop from his house to the cooking websites server that is down, whereas from your house, the route goes through a totally different path and it is why you can access it....it's just a shot in the dark though.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Originally posted by Prey521
    Could possibly be that there's a hop from his house to the cooking websites server that is down, whereas from your house, the route goes through a totally different path and it is why you can access it....it's just a shot in the dark though.
    It should take another route.... I would hope!

His problem connecting to the page from his house is not a routing problem, it's a DNS problem of his isp. His isp's dns server does not have or cannot locate the ip address for the website in question, therefore the page will hang or time out. If he experiences other slos with other sites, then realize the issue is his isp server & router configs.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Thanks to all of you:

I don't know, as said by TonyT, whether this funny problem is related to my friend's ISP, as we both have the same one, and, as I said before, I can go into that page whenever I want. We have tried to access it form different computers and different locations and we hav always succeed.

So?

Matter finished

After some frustrating days, in this subject (page not opening), I took my laptop (another Toshiba) and went to my friend's home. I connected my computer to his ADSL and there you are, the mentioned internet page opened without any trouble... Then we connected his laptop and this time the blasted page opened at once... I swear we did not do anything, apart from switching computers. Is there any rational explanation to this matter?

2 things come to mind.

1. Your DNS server address is different that your friends

2. Your friends IP has been banned from the site you are trying to access.

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    ha ha that's kind of weird.

Savage his IE settings. I don't imagine it could be his security settings, what, with it being a cooking site n' all. Clear the cache, set IE on fire, blow up the laptop and take a balloon trip around the world in 79 days. That should fix the problem.

Either that or try another browser.

Well, stevebakh, I don't think it has to do with the internet browser, as we both use Microsoft's IE. I really can't imagine what went on with that site...

As for setting IE on fire, blowing the laptop, and taking a stroll all over the world. Just tell me wher and when, but make it 79 months, instead of days