Thread: Updating windows without using Windows update on the internet???

Updating windows without using Windows update on the internet???

This may be a security forum question, but here it goes anyway.

Does anybody know of a way to update a Windows XP computer box without having to connect to the internet and do windows update from Microsoft site.

The reason I ask is I am helping a user secure a Windows XP box from the nastys (virii, worms etc) living on our network. I saw on microsoft site you can download each patch individually and there is about 40 of them. Does anybody know where to get them easily so we can patch the box before we throw it onto the network???

Basically when he plugs it into our network, he is plagued with virii and his computer craps out...

Thanks
    Chim

Yeah you can, but you've got to search all over hell for each individual patch.
    Respect it.

i have a link at home for a microsoft website with a downloadable section of all the patches..i get out of work at 3:30 home by 4:00..ill post it then if ya dont find one..(eastern time)

Go to Windows update on a patched machine, then go to Windows Update Catalog, choose your operating system and select all the patches you want or need, then burn them to disc and run on the unpatched machine.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    His rig is already plagued with problems? May want to slave his drive to a machine with health AV and scan/clean it. Chances are, if it's badly infected, even if you download the updates and bring them to his rig via burnt CD, or zip drive, or those USB thumb drives...they won't install properly if his rig is hosed.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I've done them from this site before...

It still takes you to MS...You can download them individually though and save them..

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/updates/#WindowsXP

I think that's what you're asking... Spice

You can also grab them straight from MS at the MS TechNet site. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/

Originally posted by qball15j
    You can also grab them straight from MS at the MS TechNet site. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/
    YUP THATS THE LINK ME TALK ABOUT IN ME POST HERE

Originally posted by morbidpete
    YUP THATS THE LINK ME TALK ABOUT IN ME POST HERE

Sorry Guys for not responding sooner. I got swamped with support calls...

Thanks Spicer I believe the link you provided will get me where I need to be.

YOSC He has formated c: on the box and reinstalled XP but doesnt want to put it back on the network because he will get several virii within a couple seconds... Yes our network is very comprimised right now...

Blebbs I saw that update catalog but couldnt figure it out. Microsoft made it so easy that I cannot figure out how to download the individual patches.. eheh

Thanks to all for the replys so quickly

Chim

Originally posted by chimdogger
    YOSC He has formated c: on the box and reinstalled XP but doesnt want to put it back on the network because he will get several virii within a couple seconds... Yes our network is very comprimised right now...
    It'll be fine, just remember to turn on the XP firewall before putting the machine on the network to download updates.

Originally posted by qball15j
    It'll be fine, just remember to turn on the XP firewall before putting the machine on the network to download updates.
    Hmmm. Hadn't thought about trying that... Well that maybe worth trying for all time it takes to download the patches individually then burn them to a disk. Thanks dude.

Chim

Thanks Spicer I believe the link you provided will get me where I need to be.
    Chim
    No probs Chim....... Spice

Hmmm. Hadn't thought about trying that... Well that maybe worth trying for all time it takes to download the patches individually then burn them to a disk. Thanks dude.

Chim
    No problem, that's the way to go if the machine is not behind a router with NAT. The XP firewall blocks all incoming traffic so you'll be fine.

If you already have a slipstreamed SP1 XP install CD. Download this Autopatcher program and select which patches you want to install. AutoPatcher XP

DIDS

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Well...hmmm...1) Straighten out the network.

But OK...2) He can plop a NAT router in between his rig, and your network, diff IP schemes, will be safe.
    3) Install AV app first, update definitions manually via burnt CD, or removable disk, or USB thumbdrive...then plop on network.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by DIDS
    If you already have a slipstreamed SP1 XP install CD. Download this Autopatcher program and select which patches you want to install. AutoPatcher XP

DIDS
    Nice little proggy there.

You guys are great. Thanks Again.

i didnt think you could do that on xp...wasnt that the whole point of xp so you couldnt Copy it or something?

maybe im smokin crack ....
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Originally posted by Bastid
    i didnt think you could do that on xp...wasnt that the whole point of xp so you couldnt Copy it or something?

maybe im smokin crack ....
    With AutoPatcher XP you are not copying XP. It is a program that lets you apply all patches (or selected patches) at the same time. Eliminating the need to sit at the machine and apply Windows Update patches and then keep going back to Windows Update until you have them all. This is a huge time saver. The one thing is you need to have SP1 already on the machine. Which is very easy to do by creating a Slipstreamed SP1 install CD.

DIDS