Thread: buh-bye radeon9600, hello radeon9800

buh-bye radeon9600, hello radeon9800

I purchased a sap radeon9800pro today.

I'm currently running a radeon9600 pro AIW, but I want more eye candy for bf1942 and for the forthcoming vietnam. i really liked the AIW on the radeon, but it will NOT let you game while you're running a capture. So, I'm doing all my capturing through my miniDv camcorder now.

You simply can't beat the price. Although newegg was out of stock during the sale, I contacted them. The said they will honor the sale price by giving me a refund of the difference.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a cheap pci video capture solution. I want something only for capturing TV show, for watching on my lappy.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

SG Elite
    Geez...you blow through more video cards than I do.

i ordered one yesterday too to replace my powercolot 9600pro

cant wait!
    hope it makes it her b4 the weekend.

AMP
    Gigabyte ga-7n400 pro nForce2 mobo, Athlon XP3200, thermalright slk900, 1 gig corsair pc3200 cas2, radeon 9800pro, SB Audigy 2 ZS
    case= yeong yang YY-B0221 server cube,550 watt Antec true power,1 wd raptor 74 gig,1 34gig raptor (page) 2 wd 120gig se's raid 1, 1 120gig se. WIN xp Pro, Dual display samsung syncmaster 1100df 21in(Primary) Samsung syncmaster 955df 19in (secondary)".

SG Enthusiast
    I have never used 3rd party ATI cards, I always buy the built by ATI ones, how is the performance difference between them?

Kyler1

Originally posted by Kyler1
    I have never used 3rd party ATI cards, I always buy the built by ATI ones, how is the performance difference between them?

Kyler1
    there is none
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Originally posted by Burke
    Geez...you blow through more video cards than I do.
    yeah, this is actually my second 9800pro.

I should have just stayed with my first one and saved myself a LOT of trouble.

I thought you had some kind of business thing with converting media things...
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Originally posted by sludge
    I thought you had some kind of business thing with converting media things...
    I do, but I use a miniDV camcorder for that purpose. The camcorder has always done a better job, but I used the radeon for a backup. I also had it hooked up to my tivo, but I cant game if I capture from the radeon. So, I've attached the tivo to the second port on my capturing vcr.

Now, I can capture a tv show while I game; with little loss in performance.

I never ran BF on a 9600 but you'll love the way teh 9800 runs BF.

Originally posted by cyPHer_138
    I never ran BF on a 9600 but you'll love the way teh 9800 runs BF.
    I've run RTCW ET on a radeon 9500np, radeon 9500pro, radeon 9800pro aiw and a radeon 9600pro. I had issues with both the radeon 9500pro and np.

I remember using the 9800pro to play at 1600x1200 with all eye candy MAXED. It was simply delicous! I wasnt gaming very often, so I decided that card was overkill. Running on the radeon9600 was a disappointment. It didnt have any problems playing the games, but I was extremely limited in eye candy.

I CAN'T WAIT to stick that card in and pump everything up. I image that it'll take a little of the stress off my system as well.