Thread: LEAFS ACQUIRE DRAKE BEREHOWSKY, Jackman Gone.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up LEAFS ACQUIRE DRAKE BEREHOWSKY, Jackman Gone.

Hi to you Leafs Fans

Just received this from the Maple Leafs Bulletin.
    ---------------------------------------------

Not an earthshaking trade to be sure, however he has more size than Jackman whom i liked. His Defencive skills are better honed as well with his experience imho. Something Ric lacks at the moment.

They had not played Jackman for sometime and i thought he'd be traded as he definitely has a good future ahead of him. Just needs more playing time to mature.

The following was just released to the media:
    -------------------------------------------

LEAFS ACQUIRE DRAKE BEREHOWSKY

(Feb. 11, 2004) -- John Ferguson, general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Wednesday that the club has traded Ric Jackman to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for defenceman Drake Berehowsky.

Berehowsky, 32, appeared in 47 games for the Penguins this season and recorded five goals and 16 assists with 50 minutes in penalties. He signed as a free agent with Pittsburgh on August 26, 2003.

The Toronto native was originally the Maple Leafs' first-round selection, 10th overall, in the 1990 Entry Draft and he was dealt by the Maple Leafs to Pittsburgh April 7, 1995 in exchange for defenceman Grant Jennings.

---

regards

minir

Nice for us, but I can't help but feel for poor Pittsburgh. They just keep cutting talent to save a buck. It's sad to see. Teams with money are the only ones to win a cup lately, and that just doesn't sit well for me and my enjoyment for hockey.

The NHL should learn a thing or 2 from the NFL. The NFL is still exciting cause any team could win from 1 year to the next.

Pittsburgh is on it's way out imo.
    The more I drink, the less I care.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by sitosterol
    Nice for us, but I can't help but feel for poor Pittsburgh. They just keep cutting talent to save a buck. It's sad to see. Teams with money are the only ones to win a cup lately, and that just doesn't sit well for me and my enjoyment for hockey.

The NHL should learn a thing or 2 from the NFL. The NFL is still exciting cause any team could win from 1 year to the next.

Pittsburgh is on it's way out imo.
    -----

Hi sitosterol

Pittsburgh has been in trouble for some time imho sitosterol. Even when they had Jagr they were not drawing a crowd. The only reason Mario got involved was that he had no choice as he was owed something like $25 Million by the former owners.

He tried but it was not enough.

Yes they are moving Payroll, however they are getting reasonable value returned in the form of younger less expensive Players. Like Jackman.

They also will win in the draft & might well be a surprise in a year or two if things play out as they should. New Arena, solid backing and away they go.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

There is already Revenue Sharing in the NHL and i don't think Pittsburgh is as bad off as they say. Just my opinion as always

Thanks and Have a Wonderful Night

-----Car

regards

minir

Do you think Calgary say will EVER win the cup again. No money for that! Mybe make the playoffs once in 10 years, out the first round. Money is replacing the magic of hockey. My Leafs may win a cup, but that's the money paying off. It just makes the game like a circus.
    The more I drink, the less I care.

Geez, I'm really out of the NHL loop. I thought Berehowsky retired.

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by CableDude
    Geez, I'm really out of the NHL loop. I thought Berehowsky retired.
    -----

Hi sitosterol & CableDude

CableDude
    I thought Berehowsky retired.

Lets hope it's not with the Leafs.

------

sitosterol

Calgary will no doubt at some point make a run. All teams basically need money to Win. The Players want whatever traffic will bear and who can blame them, so they move on after a bit of success with their original teams.

Unless careful drafting takes place and a few choice trades slip through, a lesser market team is hard pressed to make it all the way. Exceptions do however happen.

They all have money to spend, but Fan Support is critical. No Fans, no Bucks. it's a catch 22 of sorts.

Thanks Fellas and enjoy your night

-----Car

regards

minir

Berehowsky, hmmmm, played for the preds at one time I think, at the time he was our big enforcer.
    Crackin' skulls and breaking kneecaps.

Blog Entries
    Hi Grimson

Yes he can dance. He i doubt though can be a top 4 with the Leafs.

It's a strange trade imho. Perhaps he is going to be part of a further Trade with another Club???

Who knows. I like him but just don'e see it as a major move that will impact the leafs that strongly.

Thanks Grimson & have a Fun evening

-----Car

regards

minir