Thread: Girl Suspended from School for Saying 'Hell'

Girl Suspended from School for Saying 'Hell'

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A second-grade girl from Pittsburgh was suspended this week from her public elementary school for saying the word "hell" to a boy in her class.

But 7-year-old Brandy McKenith says she was only warning the boy about the eternal comeuppance he could face for saying: "I swear to God."

"I said, 'You're going to go to hell for swearing to God,'" Brandy was quoted as saying in an article that appeared on the Web site of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review on Wednesday.

School officials were unavailable for comment. A Pittsburgh Public Schools spokeswoman told the newspaper that the student code prohibits profanity but does not provide a clear definition of what profanity is.

The girl's parents, who said they believed their daughter's version of the story, were flabbergasted by the suspension and complained to the school principal.

"Kids are bringing guns and knives to school. ... They've got dope. And we're worried about 'hell'?" said her father, Wayne McKenith.

Meanwhile, the incident drew the attention of civil liberties experts as far away as New York.

"There was no threat and the word was being used in its intended way, not in a vulgar manner," civil liberties attorney Christopher Murray said in a statement distributed by his New York law firm.
    Quote Originally Posted by brembo
    "This is a stick-up...I have an armadillo in my pants"

The "man fined for farting in public" headline grows closer. Suspended for saying hell? pffft

It's gone from doing everything possible to keep kids in school to doing everything possible to keep them out.
    The more I drink, the less I care.

Go Figgur....Huh..??

Websters....

9 entries found for Hell.
    hell ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hl)
    n.

often Hell The abode of condemned souls and devils in some religions; the place of eternal punishment for the wicked after death, presided over by Satan.
    A state of separation from God; exclusion from God's presence.
    The abode of the dead, identified with the Hebrew Sheol and the Greek Hades; the underworld.

A situation or place of evil, misery, discord, or destruction: “War is hell” (William Tecumseh Sherman).
    Torment; anguish: went through hell on the job.

The powers of darkness and evil.
    Informal. One that causes trouble, agony, or annoyance: The boss is hell when a job is poorly done.
    A sharp scolding: gave the student hell for cheating.
    Informal. Excitement, mischievousness, or high spirits: We did it for the sheer hell of it.

A tailor's receptacle for discarded material.
    Printing. A hellbox.
    Informal. Used as an intensive: How the hell can I go? You did one hell of a job.
    Archaic. A gambling house.
    ===================================================

I guess it kind of reserves judgement for the application....LOL!!

If the kid said to a teacher....
    *GET THE HELL OF MY BACK..... YOU*

I could see the School being a little annoyed..Mmmm-Yep!

If it was used in an everyday sentence..(As It Was)..*It's In The English Language Dictionary*

*As Acceptable*.... Spice

These sad fools, there ideas of things you SHOULDN'T see, or things you CANNOT say... They are so weak and affraid, it's sickening.

Kyler1

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    She would probably get expelled if she talked about her female dog, "yeah, my bitch is in heat".

Man do I ever hate zero tolerance.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Originally posted by RoundEye
    She would probably get expelled if she talked about her female dog, "yeah, my bitch is in heat".

Man do I ever hate zero tolerance.
    In these days, that would mean something else.

I bet most kids don't even know that bitch means female dog. They just have to keep pimpin out their bitches and hoes.

LOL

nice one brandon

Originally posted by jdmcrx
    nice one brandon
    AFter teaching in a public high school for more than a year, I can say for a fact that I never heard the word "bitch" used for talking about a dog.

LOL

poopoo coudnt teach high school i see what i put my teachers through each day

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Originally posted by mountainman
    AFter teaching in a public high school for more than a year, I can say for a fact that I never heard the word "bitch" used for talking about a dog.

LOL
    True.dat.....I'm just being a smartass.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

What a difference eleven years make, I remember the my guidance councilor stopping by twice and asking us to just "quiet down" when playing our favorite game "bull*****" the world has gone crazy.
    It came upon a midnight clear up my nose

Originally posted by mountainman

LOL

Thank god I didn't go that route. I had to do some Student Teaching BS for one class. I hated it. ****in kids.

Ah the good old days when I was in school. Man we used to do all kinds of things. Nothing bad, but by today's standards Probably would have gotten expelled.
    Respect it.