Thread: Lower Insurance Premiums if you Use Snow Tires?

Blog Entries

Question Lower Insurance Premiums if you Use Snow Tires?

Hi to All

An Article in todays Sun. What do you think???

Should the Insurance Companies give you a Break on Rates and should the Government make them Mandatory in Snowy Areas like Ontario?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Winter tire breaks?

Push to offer Insurance Discount

By JASON BOTCHFORD, TORONTO SUN
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Ontario Canada Insurance Companies are being pushed by vehicle safety experts to start offering premium discounts to drivers who use winter tires. The province's motorists are too lazy and poorly trained to put on snow tires and that leads to accidents and traffic nightmares during snow storms, police and other experts say.

A Leger Marketing poll in October showed only 34% of Ontario drivers planned on using snow tires this winter compared with 78% in Quebec, where the government is considering making them mandatory.

Canada's Rubber Association, representing tire manufacturers, said only 15% of the country's winter tires are sold in Ontario and more than 63% in Quebec.

The wide discrepancy is partly because of the weather difference in Toronto, which has bred a lackadaisical winter-time tire attitude.

"There is clearly a misconception in Ontario that you don't need winter tires," said Hardat Tersaud, a wheel expert with the Canada Automobile Association. "Motorists here have a misconception that one set can take them through the four seasons but unfortunately once the temperature drops below 0C, most of the all-season tires are useless.

"It seems clearly logical insurance companies need to take a look at this."

There is a difference in accident rates in the two provinces. In winter 2001, the earliest year statistics are available, there were about 3% to 5% fewer accidents in Quebec even though the province's major urban centres average about 42.5% more snow.

"We are particularly lazy about our tires (in Toronto) because of the weather," said David Lamb, director of operations for the rubber association. "We expect them to just carry on. There is a hassle factor of putting them on, taking them off and then where do you store them?"

The Insurance Bureau of Canada said it will look at the tire issue but is not yet able to comment.

All-season tires do not have to meet any winter-driving criteria and are generally designed for an American market. They can fail under harsh Canadian conditions, experts contend.

"All-season tires can be misleading, they should really be called three-season tires," said Goodyear product manager Michael Cosentino. "In winter conditions, you just don't have the same biting grip."

PERFORMANCE TEST

There is no way to determine just how many accidents are caused by the wrong tire but a recent Goodyear winter performance test showed a car travelling at 80 km/h on snow tires took 70 metres to stop. The same car on all-season performance tires took 112 metres. That's 60% more pavement.

OPP Traffic Sgt. Cam Woolley didn't have a problem driving when he toured in his vehicle two weeks ago on new snow tires during a winter storm that featured more than 600 accidents. He said poor tires were partially to blame for the traffic chaos.

'DANGER TO OTHERS'

"There were big problems caused by people without winter tires -- they become a danger to others," Woolley said. "People who didn't have snow tires couldn't go up hills, couldn't do anything. The intersection of York Mills Rd. and Yonge St. really comes to mind as people were trapped at the bottom of the hill.

"Poor driver training is a root cause. If you decide you don't need snow tires and there is a snow storm, then you should be on the TTC."

The provincial transportation ministry said it does not yet see a need to legislate snow tires. In Quebec, the push for winter tires stems from a coroner's report that found all-season tires were a major factor in the accidental death of Benoit Plamondon four years ago.

"We are aware of what is going on in Quebec and we will continue to monitor and follow the situation," ministry spokesman Bob Nichols said.

Sweden and Finland have mandatory snow tire laws and Nichols said those countries will be studied to determine if legislation is a route Ontario should take.

====

RUBBER HARDENS
    -----------------

They work to a point, Cosentino tried to tell her. She refused to listen.

All-season tires harden in temperatures between -8 and -15, making accidents more likely. Winter tires stay flexible at -40C.

"The rubber compounds on winter tires remain supple in those cold temperatures, while the all-season tires harden and as a result they can't grip," Cosentino said. "The winter tire meets special criteria and is able to deal with ice, snow and slush."

The average cost of a set of winter tires is $400, but Cosentino said that would be offset if insurance companies started offering a rebate.

Cosentino added that "changing to a snow tire during the winter ensures your all-season tires last longer."

------

regards

minir

Broke
    My feeling exactly.

I have snows, they should be mandatory, and I should get a break on insurance because i went to the extra expence.
    And someone who uses All seasons...ha ha joke, should be penilized for not having snows.

But if nothing else, I'm safer from me because of them, but am no safer due to others nt having them.

PS: Bring back studded snow tires.

On a side note, countries like Sweden it is against the law not to have snow tires in the winter months

Blog Entries
    Hi Chris

Sweden Home of the Volvo & Saab Manufacturing Companies where they take Safety seriously.

I do believe a lot has to do with the Tire Companies themselves, as well as a lax Government when it comes to people not understanding the importance of Winter Snow Tires.

The All/Season tires lead people to believe they are safe to use in Winter...they help but are not the ultimate solution to be sure.

The Government Safety Organization should be promoting their usage and doing a few TV commercial depicting the differences imho.

Hell they have the time and money to send out all kinds of Junk Mail to us from Ottawa, why not a Brochure on Winter Safety? Perhaps even a simple Blurb on the Envelope itself stating.

" Do You Have your Winter Snow Tires On? "

As you state Chris you are safer to the Public at large, but are not noticeably safer from them.

Thanks Chris...By the way you Need Them Up Their Eh!

regards

minir

thats the good thing about florida it is 65 degrees and sunny here. perfect weather! but i know how it is use to live in steamboat springs colorado and there was only 3 months out of the year that it didnt snow. even had our labor day cookout canceled cause of a sudden snowstorm.

Blog Entries
    Hi jdmcrx

There are many places where Snows are not required, but as you have experienced many that they are required.

I think it makes sense in most cases to have them where needed. If rates were lowered and one was able to recoup a few bucks this way perhaps more would use them.

Thanks jdmcrx & Enjoy your day

regards

minir

i feel the same way the jackalopes didnt know how to drive when it didnt snow much less when it did. it might have helped though.

i bought snow tires and rims after i bought my protege5 2 years ago...im glad i did!!! its like night and day difference with those tires. Even cheap snow tires are better then all season tires.

Yes i think they should lower insurence rates if you have summer tires!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Blog Entries
    Hi jdmcrx & nightowl

jdmcrx
    I got caught in Tennessee last year driving through to Florida. Man it was brutal, they tail gated and didn't slow at all. Accidents all over the place. There was like 2" of snow. nothing for me, but they didn't know what to do.

nightowl

In Ottawa snows are a must have for sure. People have no idea the differences between snows and reg. tires. Years ago everyone used snows and chains as well. Then studs came out. worked great but chewed up the road to badly so where banned.

I haven't seen chains in years here. A good set of snows and Regular Tires, not All/Season are all a person needs. The regulars as opposed to All/Season give better performance and traction as well.

Well now that its in the News perhaps it will happen.

Thanks Fellas

Happy Motoring

regards

minir

Sounds a little fishy to me, when the Canadian Rubber Association, representing tire manufacturers, is mentioned as an authority for statistics. How many people buy snow tires for use in winter and merely swap them out for less snowy months, thus having snow tires for years at a time?

I'm sure there are lots of Canadians that don't use snow tires when they should. I'm also sure that the Canadian Rubber Association, representing tire manufacturers, is frothing at the mouth over the prospect of government mandated sales.

Not to mention that marketing comapanies also represent sellers much more often than consumers, i.e., Leger Marketing.

I just figure that a lot of Canadians that use snow tires are already being offered lower rates from less accidents as a result of using those snow tires. At a guess, if they had an accident, having a snow tire discount would nowhere near negate the premium increase. Did this article have fine print at the bottom that said 'Advertisement'?

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Chrome
    Sounds a little fishy to me, when the Canadian Rubber Association, representing tire manufacturers, is mentioned as an authority for statistics. How many people buy snow tires for use in winter and merely swap them out for less snowy months, thus having snow tires for years at a time?

I'm sure there are lots of Canadians that don't use snow tires when they should. I'm also sure that the Canadian Rubber Association, representing tire manufacturers, is frothing at the mouth over the prospect of government mandated sales.

Not to mention that marketing comapanies also represent sellers much more often than consumers, i.e., Leger Marketing.

I just figure that a lot of Canadians that use snow tires are already being offered lower rates from less accidents as a result of using those snow tires. At a guess, if they had an accident, having a snow tire discount would nowhere near negate the premium increase. Did this article have fine print at the bottom that said 'Advertisement'?
    ------

Hi Chrome

Anyone who has used Snow Tires can tell you what a difference they make. The Stopping, starting and maneuvering of the vehicle is dramatically enhanced. No need for any Organization to tell you what you can feel for yourself.

The Canadian Rubber Association, may be promoting in some way, but they are only stating Facts well known to many and informing those Not in the know of the benefits of so doing imho.

As to Swapping out Snows for Regular Tires each year which is advisable, in doing so both sets of Tires benefit in the longevity department, not just the Snows.

I once saw an article in Road & Track, or one such Car Magazine where they did testing of the Winter vs All/Season vs Regular Summer tires. It was a complete Test. Air Pressures, Skid Pad, G Force, Stopping Distances, Turning Radius's, Pylons etc.

There was no doubting the advantages, or lack there of, of each in the situations. If memory serves it was 3, or 4 Tire Suppliers involved with their Best Tires in all Tests.

As to Insurance Premiums, no their is no reduced Rates for Winter Tire usage i am aware of at the moment. Being Accident Free causes lower rates but is not the same thing.

If one has an Accident, Rates Rise, no question about that and Yes it would no doubt be a Higher Rate than the one (if ever offered) for Winter Tire Usage. But one cannot judge on that basis imho.

A lower Rate is simply that. If one is given a lower rate for using Winter Tires then that is a start and an incentive to Buy & Use Them. That is a Savings.

If having done so and one is involved in an Accident you should expect your premiums to rise.

The advantage of using Snows is you are safer and less apt to get into an accident because of better manoeuvrability etc. If everyone used them in Areas that have heavy snows then we all benefit for the same reasons as given above.

As you mentioned, No the majority of Canadians Do Not use them Chrome, that is the point. They are trying to encourage them to do so.

If one is receiving a Lower Insurance Rate by doing so, that is a bonus. If by using Them one is less likely to get into an accident, that is a bonus as well. Using Two Sets of Tires does increase the usability of both and the outlay for a set of Snows is reasonable imho.

Few people now driving question the benefits of Seatbelts, or Airbags. Snow Tires would fall into that category imho as they too are a Safety device of equal importance and benefit imho, in conditions warranting their usage.

Me i'd rather live in Florida and not have the problem in the first place, but whats a guy to do.

Thanks for your reply and Have a Good one.

------

regards

minir

Red face Cash grab

Yes all seasons are better than summer tires, snows are better than all seasons, studs are better than snows, ski-doo's are better than studs, ski-doo's with carbides are better than plain ski-doo's ( hey there's something, how come we cant take a machine designed for snow on a snow covered road ). Where does it end. I won't go in to my experiences as I could write a book. Learn to drive to the conditions of the road and your machine or sit in the right seat/ take the bus.

How come when there is no snow we don't have to use high performance rain tires, aren't they safer than the run of the mill radial?

There will always be bad drivers no matter what you put under their a__ (bottom) .

I guess making everyone pay for a few idiots is the POLITICALLY CORRECT thing to do. We wouldn't to hurt someones feeling would we (poor baby) but we can hurt your wallet. Same as insurance, we have to pay higher rates so the people who cause the accident can afford to drive.

Enough of this. If you need better gear to get by, so be it , it's your money but don't force it on the rest of us who can OPERATE what we have.
    Last edited by gregcarolann; 01-15-09 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling