Thread: How do I go from dual boot to single boot?

striderf1

How do I go from dual boot to single boot?

Ok I am dual booting win98 and 2kpro. The last time I deleted 98 when i was dual booting I ran into big problems. How do I sucessfully remove 98 and have 2kpro as my only windows? If you have any links to guides thats fine too. Thanks for your help guys!

richardc

IMHO- you should reformat c:\ and reinstall
    W2K there. You could delete a lot of Win 98 files and transfer your pagefile to c:\ but it would be a messy looking drive and probably not as efficient as a complete reinstall on a clean drive. Getting rid of W2K and keeping win 98 is another story.

striderf1
    don't forget, i don't have a cdrw, and i don't have the win2k cd, only the 98 cd, but i want to run 2k soly

-Knine-

make a partition just big enough to run the install of win2k off of then u can format till your hearts content and install win2k from that partition

striderf1
    I just ^BUMPed^ my head. It is kinda hard for me to believe that with all the extrmeley computer savvy people around here no one knows the answer to this fairly simple question. Ohh well

RoundEye

It is a simple question, what makes it hard is you don't have the CD. If you had the CD a simple format/install would do. Do any of you friends have a burner? If so upload the Win2K files to them, and burn the CD.

------------------
    It's never too fast!

jdblitz

not to be a jerk but I believe what you are referring to is a warez version of win2k and not suitable for the open forum maybe?

sitosterol

Wink

I think I've got your answer here. Make a win2K startup disk, boot from it and then type sys C:. What this does is remove the dual boot by copying the system files from the startup disk to your system. This is assuming that win2k is on C drive. I'm not sure if the effect is the same if win2K is on D. After that, there are 3 to 5 files to remove from your C Drive. I know a the major 1 is bootsec.dos. I dont think the others are all that important, just be sure that you make a copy of these files somewhere just in case. Hope this at least puts you on the path. You could also take the i386 folder from your win2K and burn it or store it on a separate hard drive. That is essentially the core of win2K and you can install from this folder. I've done it. just remember that it could be a rough ride so back up any stuff you value.

------------------

sitosterol

Lightbulb

Oh hey, another solution is ta upgrade your win98 to win2k by running the setup in win98 mode of win2k located in the i386 folder and then follow the above steps. You'll have win2k installed twice now and sys C: will work now, if your original win2k was on D, if it was on C just do what I said in the post above.

------------------

striderf1
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdblitz:
    not to be a jerk but I believe what you are referring to is a warez version of win2k and not suitable for the open forum maybe?</font>
    who's talking about warez? not me.