Thread: Linksys WRT54G

Linksys WRT54G

I have a Linksys WRT54G router, with one desktop pc connected directly to the router and another desktop pc connecting with a wireless pci card downstairs. I also have a laptop that I work from home with that connects to the router over a wireless connection.

Here is my question: how does the router control the traffic, and does it give any pc or laptop connection priority over another?

The reason why I ask is because I connect to my network at work over vpn and alot of times my connection speeds are very bad, just poor performance. And while I know there are a lot of factors here that could result in poor performance, I was wondering if it would help to configure my router to give my laptop top priority over my home network when working from home. Maybe this doesn't make any sense, but it is the only thing that has come to mind so far.

Thanks for any advice,
    Brian
    Last edited by brianosmi; 01-30-04 at 09:21 AM.

Advanced Member
    It is probably the VPN done by software.

If it is really important you might consider getting a VPN Appliance.

I think a VPN appliance would be a little bit overkill in his situation. That linksys router shouldn't have a problem with VPN pass-through. What are you using the VPN for anyways? (access files, mail, etc)

I would do some basic troubleshooting. First thing take the router out of the picture, disconnect it and plug your laptop directly into your modem. After you get an IP address, which would be a public IP provided by your ISP, connect to your VPN server at work. Do whatever your normally do when it's connected the other way. See if there's any difference, if there's not then you'll know it's not the router. Could be software problem on your end, bogged down vpn server at work, etc, etc. But atleast you'll start to break it down a little more to find the problem.

Cool, thanks! That makes alot of sense. I used to connect directly to my cable modem before I got the router, but I cannot remember if the performance was better or not. I will check it out and see.