Thread: Sol 26 Spirit Update and Sol 6 Opportunity Update (good news for spirit!)

Sol 26 Spirit Update and Sol 6 Opportunity Update (good news for spirit!)

Got some GREAT news for Spirit! They are confident in their work with Spirit that they are able to now run new Scientific stuff at the same time they are still fixing the rover.

A quote from the press release for today:

They are sending commands today for the rover to begin making new scientific observations again, starting with panoramic camera images of nearby rocks. Today's commands also tell the rover to send data stored by two instruments since they took readings on Adirondack last week -- the Moessbauer spectrometer and the alpha particle X-ray spectrometer, which identifies the chemical elements in a target.

"We know we still have some engineering work to do, but we think we understand the problem well enough to do science in parallel with that work," Trosper said.
    The Full Press Release for Today can be read here: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/newsr...20040129a.html

Looks like they are aiming for Saturday-Sunday for Opportunity to egress. That is much sooner than Spirit egressed.

No new press images for today.

Some new raw images though for opportunity: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...portunity.html

Also some new ones for spirit: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit.html

And that's all there was for today.

Tomorrow there should be more.
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

bump for the night

Looking good for the NASA these days.
    It'll spark people's interest in the space program again, I know it did mine.

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Originally posted by qball15j
    Looking good for the NASA these days.
    It'll spark people's interest in the space program again, I know it did mine.

Now if only they can get the shuttles back in orbit again we'll be back in the swing of things once again.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Originally posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff

Now if only they can get the shuttles back in orbit again we'll be back in the swing of things once again.
    they plan to

Bush's plan outlined that the shuttle is to be reinstated and used to finish the international space station, which should be completed around 2010, and then the shuttle will stand down replaced by the new shuttle.

I hope they succeed.