Thread: yucky IP address conflict

yucky IP address conflict

Received my new replacement puter HP ze4560 (laptop) It has an internal network card....

Everything was up and working fine till yesterday now I get the Windows system error saying ip address conflict with another system on the network.

I looked, there is no conflict showing except in the error report logs.

I have comcast, am running xp. I have disconnected modem, nothing. I have gone to ipconfig and typed the refresh thingy and it said media disconnected.........maybe i used the wrong command???!!!(maybe used command for different kind of network)

I'm lost. Any ideas??

Thanks muchly......by the way, you guys and gals are my saviour!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Any other computers on your network? Are you behind a router?

Or just a single computer, plugged right into the broadband modem?

Did you set a static IP address, or just left it "obtain auto"

Start==>Run..type in "IPCONFIG /ALL" without the quotes....what IP address does it show you for your network card?

If set to obtain auto, Start==>Run..type in "CMD" without the quotes...this puts you at something that somewhat resembles the old DOS prompt, it's Windows NT's virtual DOS command prompt. Type in, without the quotes, "IPCONFIG /RENEW"

See what happens.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

oK, I am now at that command

Under windows ip configuration it says
    Node Type: Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Are these correct?

I am behind a Router, one desk top puter is directly connected to router, two laptops and one desktop are connected wireless.

I just did the renew and it says Media State.....media disconnected...whats that mean

thanks muchly, cin

Wow, look at the times on posts.....something wrong

YeOldeStonecat , I can now get on the internet but it is starting to give the alert of a system error again. Eventually, this will prevent me from getting on internet....at least this is what happened previously.

Jes, thought it was fixed.

OK so you have a router, and I'm going to assume that router is running DHCP for your local network.

Is TCP set to obtain automatically on this computer?

Scroll down lower when you run IPCONFIG /ALL

Report what it says next to "IP Address", and scroll down lower...what it says next to "DHCP Server".

Also do the same on the other computer, and report back here.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

sorry about not seeing this, the weather station put a scare in me so I ran out to get gas and ice melt and milk and etc.......I'm one of those kind of people.

TCP set to auto.

IP address: DHCP Server:

sONY--direct to router
    IP:
    DHCP Server

then my other puters
    dell laptop
    IP:
    DHCP:

Vega Desktop
    IP:
    DHCP:

Mr. Stonecat, the interesting thing is, when I do the renew thingy that you suggested. It fixes it and I can then access the internet but within an hour I loose connection. It never stops warning me though.
    Last edited by cindy1948; 01-25-04 at 08:38 PM.

What make/model router?

That's it, 4 computers on your network, no more? No other devices on your network?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Ye old Stone Cat,
    No have x box live...wireless and you won't believe this

I clicked on those report things and it showed me the IP address and said it was having problems with this mac addresss.........I have nothing with the mac address that is listed.

So I thought to myself can someone be using my connection. I just now changed my WEP code and walla, everything is working ok.

How could this be? I have WEP encription enabled and somehow another mac address was using my connection.

Is this possible???(Oh I better go back and delete my IPs huh)

This is really scary, someone broke the WEP code????

Originally posted by cindy1948
    Ye old Stone Cat,
    No have x box live...wireless and you won't believe this

I clicked on those report things and it showed me the IP address and said it was having problems with this mac addresss.........I have nothing with the mac address that is listed.

So I thought to myself can someone be using my connection. I just now changed my WEP code and walla, everything is working ok.

How could this be? I have WEP encription enabled and somehow another mac address was using my connection.

Is this possible???(Oh I better go back and delete my IPs huh)
    Oh boy...wireless. Heh, there ya go, someone hopped on your LAN, most likely with a static IP.

Suggestion....change your SSID, and...more importantly, enable MAC filtering. Meaning, your router will only allow MAC's that you enter into the list.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Stonecat

Have a major problem, xbox will not work with mac enabled,

Does this mean someone was in my computer, or had access to my computer?

Stonecat

Have a major problem, xbox will not work with mac enabled,

Does this mean someone was in my computer, or had access to my computer?
    Wether someone was in your computer or not depends on many things which I do not know. I'll lean towards they were just using your wireless as a free ride on broadband. But...if they felt like it, depending on many things such as your operating system if you had files shared, if you had good usernames/passwords, if you have your computers up to date with windows updates, if you have antivirus software, etc etc.

Lotta "if"s, eh?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

They had access to your network. I don't think they had access to your files or printers unless you have "file and printer sharing" enabled. In any case, you'll agree that it's not a good thing. WEP offers some protection, but it can still be broken relatively easily. That doesn't mean it's useless, but these things do happen.

I'm not familiar with the Xbox, but does it have a built-in wireless adapter? Or does it have an Ethernet connection which you have connected to a wireless bridge? In the second case, which MAC address did you enter into your router, the Xbox or the wireless bridge?

Cheran

Hey guys, I'm still here.

Still really concerned about my set-up. I have made arrangements for someone to come and check my systems out and maybe make some security changes.

I really don't know anything about the gaming end and had to have someone else set the x box up. Perhaps my nephew(who set up the box) just couldn't figure it out correctly....he had to disable the mac addressing so that the box would work. This must have left other vunerabilities in my systems. Not his fault....

Learning, always learning....love it and hate it.

It has been suggested that I set up a server for more protection. I guess when Mr. Computer comes I should ask about it.....maybe it would be simple enough I could run and take care of it.

Anyway, thank you, thank you and may your Gods bless you!

Oh, by the way, earlier I kept getting a message from spy bot that ???(something with an A) was going to be installed and that it was not a good thing to install, strange coming from this site.

Luv you guys!!!!

It has been suggested that I set up a server for more protection. I guess when Mr. Computer comes I should ask about it.....maybe it would be simple enough I could run and take care of it.
    "A server?" Is this a home, or business network?

MAC filtering on your wireless is pretty decent security. Nothings bullet proof...but takes away most who try to jump on for free.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

This is home but we do have a business web site which is serviced elsewhere. Its a restaurant so little changes or work is needed.

One of our friends suggested setting up server, he felt I would be able to handle it, almost as a therapy for me as I have a spinal cord injury. He explained to me that a server was actually a security wall. Now I'm thinking maybe his idea was a good one.

This is home but we do have a business web site which is serviced elsewhere. Its a restaurant so little changes or work is needed.

One of our friends suggested setting up server, he felt I would be able to handle it, almost as a therapy for me as I have a spinal cord injury. He explained to me that a server was actually a security wall. Now I'm thinking maybe his idea was a good one.
    Well...your problem isn't with that. You have a router, which runs NAT, a basic hardware firewall. IMO that's better than software connection sharing.

You're using wireless, a software means of sharing your connection still means you need an access point, if you wish to have wireless. A server will not gain you anything security wise regarding people like some snoopy neighbor trying to hop onto your wireless for a free ride. You need to lock down your wireless....specifically in the areas of changing the default SSID, I believe in disabling SSID broadcast, and lastly...enable MAC filtering. The router or access point is what you have to lock down...if you wish for wireless, server or no server, you still need to lock down your wireless.
    Guinness for Strength!!!