That is all........

Runs hell,,, walks and crawls.....

I feel your pain!!!
    TOO MUCH GIDDYYUP,,, NOT ENOUGH WHOA!!!

Trav

Re: Wire runs in existing walls....

Originally posted by downhill

That is all........
    I hear ya there..... a real PITA. Makes the added expense of the external conduit systems appealing.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

That is all........
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

That is all........

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

New speakers on the way...and I needed to run some wire in the walls for the side surrounds...

For some reason, the space between the studs I decided on, had a firewall built in it. It's the only one out of any wall in my house that I put my stud finder to work that I can find one. Good grief....

Sooo...cut new hole next to firebreak....drill through the 2x4, run a fish wire between holes and then hook up the fish wire to the one coming from attic.....

In the process of patching the new hole....Oh joy....

At least the fish wire is in place and waiting to run speaker wires when I decide on the exact location of the placement for surrounds...

Waiting patiently for tomorrow..

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar

That is all........
    I could lend you a hand.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

New speakers on the way...
    You checked out the wireless setups?

I haven't researched them, I imagine some audiophiles may not like them by the reason they might lose sound quality, dunno if they do lower it or not. I've seen/heard them on an average home system setup, nothing on the high end, or barely even mid range, and wasn't focusing in on quality.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    You checked out the wireless setups?

I haven't researched them, I imagine some audiophiles may not like them by the reason they might lose sound quality, dunno if they do lower it or not. I've seen/heard them on an average home system setup, nothing on the high end, or barely even mid range, and wasn't focusing in on quality.
    I'm not aware of a wireless that's any good, StoneCat.....In my case, spending a good chunk of change on my favorite hobby in the world, is worth the hassle. Keep in mind, there is the wife factor to consider. Running wire where it's hidden, helps with that.

The speaker wire, by the way, need not be super expensive. From what I read, a lot of experts agree that little is gained for using super expensive wire over 16 gauge (short run) speaker wire. Not that there isn't a difference but that for what you get in return, unless you have very sensitive ears or so trained , could never tell the difference between a good speaker wire and the most expensive.

Home Depot or Lowe's sell 12/2 gauge speaker wire for 39 cents a foot. Monster Cable sells their 11/2 for $1.39.. I can't tell a difference between them on the front speakers I'm using now.

The extra hole in the wall is now patched and waiting to dry before a fresh coat of paint....

Oh and attics..Are they not fun? Man I'm still sneezing and I was wearing a filter!

they make nice long flexible drill bits for doing that kind of work..I have some that go over 6 feet
    Course unless your in the business there not practical for joe average do it yourselfer to buy

Originally posted by Rainbow
    they make nice long flexible drill bits for doing that kind of work..I have some that go over 6 feet
    Course unless your in the business there not practical for joe average do it yourselfer to buy
    That would have come in handy! But your right, that isn't something I'd spend my hard earned cash on if I didn't use one on a regular basis.

A question though. How do you know your anywhere centered where you want to drill? Do you just kind of feel your way around with the bit before drilling? Then how do you hit that second hole with a fish tape? Luck?

All good questions.
    The bits have a hole in the end of them to make for easier fishing and they come with a placement tool to assist in finding the center of the fireblocks.
    http://www.tselectronic.com/greenlee...9b7f99afffaa1a

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I'm in the process of wiring the first floor of my work, I'm up to about 75 drops including phones.

Each with TWO firestops in each wall.

I actually found it easier to tie a 3/4 oz lead fishing weight to a string and drop it through the holes. If the holes are somewhat lined up, it will be easy with a little practice.

They thought I was nuts at work when I told them that, but I had three strings dropped before they could get the fish tape up one wall.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

When ya do it long enough ya find all the easy ways....but yer not suppose to tell trade secrets

When ya do it long enough ya find all the easy ways....but yer not suppose to tell trade secrets
    Well......downhill's not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, so I figured he could use all the help that he could get.

In fact somebody here told me about the weights, I think it may have even been you.

I'm not aware of a wireless that's any good, StoneCat.....In my case, spending a good chunk of change on my favorite hobby in the world, is worth the hassle.
    Oh I agree with you re: spending chunks of change on favorite hobby. I do the same myself...just hopefully I don't get too many favorite hobbies! LOL.

Anyways...what I was just wondering if you had leant your ear to wireless transmitters/receivers for your speakers...what your opinion was. I just heard a set that one time, on an average stereo...and not under the conditions to lend a critical ear (like..turned it on for 5 minutes to just show it to me)
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by RoundEye
    In fact somebody here told me about the weights, I think it may have even been you.
    I use an 8oz plumb bob.

I have three and they are very handy. They also make a 90 degree attachment that can also be used. I saw them for as low as 35 bucks.

Originally posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff
    I use an 8oz plumb bob.
    I'm having to get the weight through an one inch hole, that I drilled with a six foot bit.

That would probably work a lot better without having two firestops and the top board on the wall to deal with, I think it's called a header maybe??

So I'm actually dropping it through three holes.