Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Outages.....Scary Situation!

Power Outages.....Scary Situation!

We were down here for a cpl of hours...Somebody ran into a pole, transformer...Snowing pretty good...Pic from our front door...

It's Amazing how dependant we have become on electronics, even for just an hour or two....
    Geez.....What did we do before we had all this stuff..LOL!! ??

The PC....Sits.....*Lifeless* Spice

hmm..
    we've been pretty lucky here so far...
    but it is ridulous to loose power at all for any amt. of time..

Originally posted by BaLa
    hmm..
    we've been pretty lucky here so far...
    but it is ridulous to loose power at all for any amt. of time..
    The best part is....Kim called Hydro to see how long..??

They had a recording on saying..We are looking into the situation...*If you can help us find the location of this problem please stay on the line*....

Like....If they don't know, who is supposed to.?? LOL!! Spice

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Spicer
    The best part is....Kim called Hydro to see how long..??

They had a recording on saying..We are looking into the situation...*If you can help us find the location of this problem please stay on the line*....

Like....If they don't know, who is supposed to.?? LOL!! Spice
    Well, if it's anything like cable, they can get the general location down (at least to the neighborhood), but the actual location and cause of the outage can take awhile to find. I don't know if the power company has error reporting gear that would help them locate the problem (sounds like they don't)...so, yeah, I can see where locating the problem would be simplified by someone calling in and saying they saw a car hit a pole at Main and Elm (or something along those lines)...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Indy
    Well, if it's anything like cable, they can get the general location down (at least to the neighborhood), but the actual location and cause of the outage can take awhile to find. I don't know if the power company has error reporting gear that would help them locate the problem (sounds like they don't)...so, yeah, I can see where locating the problem would be simplified by someone calling in and saying they saw a car hit a pole at Main and Elm (or something along those lines)...
    I thought they had a Grid Screen situation, where the lights went out if that area had a problem...

Maybe wrong though...I thought at one time they had that type of gear.??

Spice

Blog Entries
    I thought they had a Grid Screen situation, where the lights went out if that area had a problem...

Maybe wrong though...I thought at one time they had that type of gear.??

Spice
    Maybe they do, don't know. It also might be something that gets down to a grid unit, but doesn't pinpoint the actual piece of equipment that failed...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Indy
    Maybe they do, don't know. It also might be something that gets down to a grid unit, but doesn't pinpoint the actual piece of equipment that failed...
    Ya..You never know...

Good thang...Down about 3.5 hrs....Found out we rely on our toys far too much...LOL!!

Got in the Caddy and went out for a coffee/hot chocolate...Which tasted great....Just funny how much we depend on the power, even for just a short time...

Geez....Now what do we do..LOL!!.. Spice

you should have been here in eastern ontario in the summer when most of the eastern sea board lost power...now that was scary!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Texas has its own power grid
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Originally posted by nightowl
    you should have been here in eastern ontario in the summer when most of the eastern sea board lost power...now that was scary!!!
    Oh I was here...LOL!!

Almost got caught at the border...Det/Windsor..You're right, that was a mess Spice

Originally posted by Brent
    Texas has its own power grid
    Is that the G.W.Bush lighting and gas Company..??

Spice

wouldn't it be cool if you didn't have to worry about the power cutting out?..

I bet Canada will get blamed for this.

j/k

If you are looking for a good emergency light there is one called a Night Star flash light. It is 1 bulb led light which doesn't run on batteries. You shake it for 30 secs which provides enough power to run it for 20 mins. The down side is it costs around 69 dollars.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

Blog Entries
    Hi Spicer

This has been a very Enlightening post

regards

minir

Originally posted by BaLa
    wouldn't it be cool if you didn't have to worry about the power cutting out?..
    Get a Genset- then you don't! We're in a rural area, and it's saved us a bunch of times. I have a transfer panel mounted next to the breaker box, so just wheel the genset out, and to the far side of the garage wall (let the neighbors hear the exhaust ); run the cable through the dryer vent; light her up (genset that is...) and throw the switches on the transfer panel. Our power went out for 2 days a couple months ago, we sat here cozy, warm, cooking, doing laundry, watching TV, and most important..... then network was up!!!
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Genset = Power Generator?..

I was really reffering to some places where the power barely ever goes out...

Originally posted by minir
    Hi Spicer

This has been a very Enlightening post

regards

minir
    LOL!!...Yes, so it would appear...

Spice

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    They way people wack the telephone poles around here (myself included) the power goes out all the time. The lights flickered for a while last night, so I drove up the street, and sure enough somebody was wrapped around a pole again.

I have a UPS that will run my PC and monitor around four to six hours. It has two large batteries about the size that used to be in my motorbike. The downside is it takes about ten hours to charge the batteries back up when they discharge completly.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Originally posted by RoundEye

I have a UPS that will run my PC and monitor around four to six hours. It has two large batteries about the size that used to be in my motorbike. The downside is it takes about ten hours to charge the batteries back up when they discharge completly.
    Ya......We were thinking about getting one...

How about the modem for the cable, will it also run that.??So basically it will power the PC/Mon completely and get online also.??

Spice

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Ya......We were thinking about getting one...

How about the modem for the cable, will it also run that.??So basically it will power the PC/Mon completely and get online also.??

Spice
    If you get a good sized one it will. I have everything plugged into it. Modem, switch, monitor, printer and two PC's. You need a monster UPS if you have a laser printer though, they draw a ton of juice.

Here's my "server closet", it also doubles as a place to put my clothes.

My computer is in the living room, right behind the closet. So I cut a hole in the wall and put a PVC tube through it. My server and my game PC are connected to one monitor with a KVM switch. Which helps with the added lenght needed for the mouse, keyboard, and monitor wires.

This way I never hear my PC, the game PC is only on when I'm playing games or burning CD's. I'm also in the process of remodeling my house, I can't wait to get rid of that paneling and brown paint.

:2cool:
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................