Thread: having problem connecting to internet

having problem connecting to internet

hi i run pest patrol and deleted some adware file, before my internet was working fine once i restart my pc i cannot connect to the internet, i'm on a lan connection with 2 other pc, i enable automatic ip update but nothing however when i assign the ip manually i can map network drive ok but still cannot connect to the internet, whe i configure the ip manually and pig the pc it ping ok and i can see it on the network but i just cannot connect to the internet i follow http://www.cox.com/Service/CoxAtHome/DHCP%20Windows%20XP.asp to enable dhcp but it still did not work i have no firewall whatesoever except northon antivirus i'm using windows xp pro

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    When you do ur ip's manually what are you using for dns server settings goto strart menu run type ipconfig/all where it saids dns server settings write them down if it's showing the ip of the router for dnsserver goto your router setup page and click status and use the number there.

what model and make is ur router??
    Comptia a+ n+

i know it's not the router beacause it i disconnect the cable and put it in the other computer it work fine, i was trying to run pest patrol again but it saying socket error
    Last edited by albertldee; 01-09-04 at 02:27 AM.

What did PestPatrol find? It could be your winsock driver is corrupt depending on what spyware was found.

thank you so much mnosteele52 for steering me in the right direction no disrespect mccoffee thanks for your help also i did a search on winsock as mnosteele52 mention and found several tread on xp winsock problem http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20786932.html i download the winsock fix that everyone mention and holy moly my internet was working again thanks again mnosteele52

Glad you found the fix. This is why it's nice to have multiple people help, different ideas.

This is also why I always suggest scanning for spyware, some people don't believe it will actually ruin your connection.