Thread: Any tips to improving hosting for RS?

CrossHair

Any tips to improving hosting for RS?

Dear Smart GODS,
    I'm an avid Rogue Spear player and I tried for a long time to get a nice upload speed to be able to host a few players without lag.
    Well along came Wideopenwest cable and I'm paying for a 500 upload. At least I can host six players but is there anything else I can do to improve this? I have Windows XP pro and an 1800 athalon, Radian 8500 card and 512 ddr ram. Any tips from you is greatly appreciated.
    Thankyou smart people,
    CrossHair

The only things you could really do to improve it is to use a server class os. Like Win2k Server or 2003 Server. And use a server class NIC. Though I doubt that much will improve.
    Respect it.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    What's your tested throughput on the broadband..both up and down?

Tweak your operating system....run a dedicated server...don't play your game on the same machine you're serving from.

Run your system lean and mean...disable unneeded services, may want to disable your AV app depending on which one you use.

Router....some routers are better than others...more powerful, faster.

For a home broadband connection with under a dozen clients...a desktop OS is fine.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

As your probably well aware CrossHair, RS is brutal for MP. (as for hosting goes) I've played RS for over 3 years and never could host more than 6 players max on a 384k upload without any lag. Best thing I could suggest is try to remember closing out every program, app, ect that's running. Try to free up any resource hog that might be running when you play.

If your hosting an adversarial game, a 500k upload should allow for a 6-8 player server. If your hosting a coop game with a max of 30 tango's... 4-6 players is about right.

I havent played RS for almost 2 years. WinXP and RS doesn't run well on my pc. Basically I had to uninstall RS, UO, CO, ect Now im a BF freak

CrossHair
    lately my dl has been around 3000-4000. Whats AV app? I mean I'll try anything because I really dont understand why I shouldnt be able to host more. CH

Originally posted by CrossHair
    lately my dl has been around 3000-4000. Whats AV app? I mean I'll try anything because I really dont understand why I shouldnt be able to host more. CH
    AV App = Anti-Virus Application.

CrossHair
    I got rid of some services under msconfig but I dont know what it did to either improve or hamper my speed.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by CrossHair
    What is your upload though...it's upload that counts...upload is always the bottleneck. And I mean tested upload speeds..not what your ISP "says" you can get up to..but run several online speedtests at different places...to get an average.

What what do you run for sharing your connection? Software or a router...if a router, what kind?

And..you run a dedicated server, right? Yes or no?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

CrossHair
    My tested upload speed is 500 and its pretty stable. Between 500 and 540 I'd say. And I only have this one computer so I don't have a router. I don't have any AV software running in the background, nothing is running in the background. CH

Not much else you can do CH. Rogue Spear is a game that hog's a lot of bandwidth due to the MP gaming code of the game. Heck, even a full blown T1 line can only host around 16 players. For what your getting on your upload, your doing the best you can.

What we all are suggesting will allow your pc to handle the load better which in result will lead to a much more smoother game and enjoyment.

-Illini25