Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton AV SUCKS!

Just curious, why would Avast be better than AVG?

Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

One thing Avast did not do here is work if there was another AV program (even a disabled one) on the HD.
    We had to delete AVG totally, including the setup files held in a d/loads folder before it worked at all.

It does however, get regular 100% certification from both VBulletin and ISCA. Something I am sure Grisoft are working on since the launch of AVG7.

Try both, just not at the same time and pick the one you like to use.

Croc.

The problem with AVG is eventually it wont be free anymore

I have tried and used many AV products and one I found that works best for me has always been NAV

The problem with NAV is it will never be free.

I have tried many and the best one I've ever tried, and that includes NAV, is AVG.

Lets compare years of service now.
    I'm in for about 28, how bout the rest of you?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by Norm
    The problem with NAV is it will never be free.

I have tried many and the best one I've ever tried, and that includes NAV, is AVG.

Lets compare years of service now.
    I'm in for about 28, how bout the rest of you?
    Yeah but you know what I say a lot ..."You get what you pay for!"

Years of service? What percentage of those years does being concerned about viruses actually take up? Cuz viruses have really only become a mainstream problem in the past 5 years..at the most. The common W.32 Macro viruses common prior to that were an annoyance at the most.

Lets compare number of machines worked on in the past 5 years! Hands on in the biggest variety possible of rigs, and AV apps!
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

How bout comparing the number of rigs I've been paid to remove Norton from as compared to the number I've been paid to remove AVG.

Norton = far too many.
    AVG = 0

How bout comparing the number of rigs I've been paid to remove Norton from as compared to the number I've been paid to remove AVG.

Norton = far too many.
    AVG = 0
    Norton PC version or Corp...?

Originally posted by Ghosthunter
    The problem with AVG is eventually it wont be free anymore
    Is that really a problem or something us freeloaders accept? If it does go to a payfor program, I for one will look at the pros and cons of buying it at that time.

After trying both, there is not much the average user will find different between the Ver.6 and Ver.7. The "AdvancedMode" is a more compact interface, probably more suited to the Corporate User than Joe Average.

Keeping AVG6 free will probably come to an end by doing a soft release similar to what happened when InnoculateIT PE was withdrawn and "my-eTrust" took it's place.

It's still a matter of choice. There are other free AV programs out there. You could say the same thing about all of them not being free at some point.

A conservative estimate here would be around 50 installations of AVG.6 with only one removal that I know of and he had a system upgrade including a software package that included another AV, and yes, it was Norton PC 2003 edition.

If anyone was concerned with the performance of their free AV program, do what I did for months... every Saturday go online and take an online scan (or 2 if you want). Not once did an online scan result in a virus.

Take care out there.

Croc.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Norton = far too many.
    AVG = 0
    Eh I could flip that around, but in reality..95% of the ones I've worked on are simply people that thought they were protected with that WAAAY outdated OEM install of McAfee they had never ever updated for the past 3 years.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well as of now all the clients/friends that I have switched to AVG over half of them had AVG find one or multiple viruses/trojans that Norton missed. And before you ask, yes Norton was up to date with heuristics set to the highest level and weekly scans done.

As I said before.............. Norton SUCKS!!!

Broke
    Originally posted by UOD
    There is another free AV product which is totally certified and better than AVG...and it's also free...and tech support is free as well.

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html
    Dumped AVG quite awhile ago for Avast, recomended dierectly off the MS site also

Originally posted by chpalmer
    Just curious, why would Avast be better than AVG?

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.

Broke
    I just found that AVG was missing things, too many for my likeing.

Avast works for me

Thats what Im curious about. If its got things missing, it would be nice to know about. But Im just seeing posts here that ones better than the other and no reason why. Try and sell it to me people As far as virii, Ive never had AVG miss a thing.

The 16 versions revisions to fix bugs in the last year catches my eye. http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1023.html

From the free support forum-

"Avast does use a bit more memory than some competitors, but as you have found out, does a far superior job. It uses what it uses depending on what it is doing."

Comparing it to Norton or McAfee, Id probably be safe to agree with the total statement there.

Just trying to understand.
    Last edited by chpalmer; 02-03-04 at 01:50 AM.

I also use AVG.
    Tried AVAST on my laptop and got "ashserv" error messages on shutdown.
    What they said in the forum was to do an update to fix the problem, however, that never did fix my error message, so I went back to AVG.
    When I used the GFI site to check my email address, they both caught the 'pseudo' viruses that were being sent, so I am not going to knock AVAST. It just does not work on my laptop.
    Cheers
    A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

AVG just works
    I tryed Avast awhile ago, maybe 6 months back It ate to many resourses for my liking and missed a very old boot virrii I have in storage.
    AVG, while I have found some minor holes and the FREE edition wont be free forever Its still by far a better product than that thing that has Symantic nailed to it. That includes the Corp edition.
    Price can be a problem for "home users" I see that all the time and I try to help where I can with that. (norton/mcafee=mafia)
    When it comes to business I will spend a couple of bucks on protection. BUT Iv been using the "free AVG" in offices for over a year even when the old virii engine wasnt perfect in Win2k and XP. ONLY because it missed less than Norton. I will upgrade them as needed. since there in violation anyway Iv been doing that for a month or so.

I have another problem with norton that hasnt been mentioned here
    NORTON = Death to a server.
    For times last year virii made it into a office running 2K server on a Domain with Dynamic Raid drives.. (Boy how I love to make money on norton)
    Norton let a virus on the drives. It hard coded the blocks on one drive making it read only while the other drive continued to update. One day one of the people in the office decided to pop in a Tape backup to do a compare.. As soon as the tape started to spin the BSOD hit
    14 years of DATA disapered.. (Insurance company)
    Think about a full office of people and your called in to fix the server with a magic wand. Having everyone up in 2 seconds. Yeah right.
    I got the system up running a set of sloppy disks with AVG on it.
    Cleaned out the virii. got the files scavanged off the drive I thought was right. To find out the data was four months old.
    I then had to pull the other drive and scavenge that one to a new drive.
    I finally after getting them up in a day and a half built a new Raid 5 moved all the data to the new machine. The project took over a Week to finish.
    The Data was all in tack (48gig of data)
    The server was running norton
    Its now running AVG
    With norton the server had to be rebooted every 35 days or so
    With AVG its been rebooted once for updates. that was yesterday. That all happend back in Sept
    Now Im getting memoŽs from the insurance industry software companies telling me I have to tell Norton to not scan the data base folders even if there using macros. Because and this is a good one.. Norton uses file locking while scanning and wont allow certain files to update... Like that..

I have several insurance offices.
    All the bonding is based on certificates. All the transfers are based on Certs.
    If you have a accident tomarrow will your insurance agent be able to look up your claim or will he tell you his system is down.
    Not one of the 300 machines Im responsible for have gone down in over a year or have been hit by a virus.

That server that I discussed was someone elses head on a block.

Last but not least YES FREE is good and I look for good apps that work. Whatever I save is made up in shoes for the wife or that car payment.
    OR another way to look at it.. IŽll be sleepin in while you guys that use norton will be having a nightmare over the last virus or the one to come..

Whatever you do Run some AV. Its better than being a Arshe luk helping spread virii around.
    Thanks

weŽre running a AV pole on http://www.broadbandnuts.com
    This was Written on Linux Novel/Suse running AVG.