Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton AV SUCKS!

Angry Norton AV SUCKS!

Sorry but I had to say it. I just got home from a clients house that caught a trojan horse through AIM. He had a mixture of spyware and 5 trojans, it was the Common Name Toolbar and the only trojan I remember was trojan.sinkin. I have removed the Common Name Toolbar NUMEROUS times with Ad Aware & SpyBot but for some reason this time they would remove then come right back after a reboot, I used HJT as well.

I tried fixing it remotely with VNC but Norton Corporate 8.1 AV kept saying it found a trojan and was quaranting it but did this after EVERY reboot. You would think after it was quarantined that that would be it, but nope Norton wasn't doing it's job. So I uninstalled Norton and installed AVG FREE and guess what? It found 5 trojans and quaratined them all with no problem, then I used HJT to stop the apps from starting (using the task manager would not allow me to stop the Common Name Toolbar), I then rebooted and ran Ad Aware & SpyBot and that fixed the rest of the problems.

Bottom line....... I will NEVER use Norton AV again. This is the third time in a week and a half this has happened with Norton and AVG FREE fixed things without a glitch. I have seen this with Norton in the past and heard of many people saying the same thing, but now my mind is made up.

FYI people, don't waste your money on Norton when you can have AVG for FREE. Which is better and uses virtually no resources at all (it uses the least of ANY AV app I've used).

LSD melts in your mind, not in your hand.
    I dumped Norton Years Ago!!
    for almost the same reasons!!
    AVG/NOD32--cant go wrong with them

r u xprincD

Norton products (all but Ghost) suck!!!
    For various reasons.

I have refrained from posting about this since a couple of years ago to avoid arguements about it.

AVG ROCKS!!

A few points:

1. For my personal systems and network NAV on each machine works very well.
    2. For troubleshooting and fixing OTHER PEOPLE'S machines the only NAV stuff I use are the free Norton specialty virus/trojan removal tools.

AV applications and models are over rated and have been given way too much hype, and too many people fall prey to the hype. IF one practices safe computing then any halfway decent AV app will suffice. I get about 100+ emails every day, 95% are spam or virus messages. I do NOT use auto protect. My email client is immune to the auto-installing worms and worms that target the MS address book formats.

I also have an arsenel of AV and anti-spyware tools on a CD that I use to fix other people's systems.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Originally posted by TonyT
    AV applications and models are over rated and have been given way too much hype, and too many people fall prey to the hype. IF one practices safe computing then any halfway decent AV app will suffice.
    I have to disagree Tony. This client did absolutely nothing wrong, his daughter uses AOL IM and that is how the trojan.sinkin spreads. He had Symantec Corporate 8.1 with all the settings to the highest level. This is Symantec's flagship AV program and it completely failed, it didn't not stop the trojan in real time scanning as it should have. When someone pays for a product they expect it to work as it should. A good AV is the most important program a pc user should have.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Everybody's experiences vary. I've been in the field for numbers of years, and Symantecs Corp Edition (which is not called Norton by the way...that's their home market retail product) is my favorite for running on networks. Best I've found for installing and managing on networks.

I've seen many times where one product works and another fails. Fast forward a few weeks, you may get the exact opposite experience. There's simply a lot of factors that add up to how well an AV app will run on a machine. Was it a virgin install of the OS then quickly Symantecs CE AV installed right away? Or had the machine been around a few years, with other AV apps installed prior, other things, no critical updates, not exactly a clean running machine.

I can spit up many times I've see machines come into service that had so called protection from those free AV apps.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

This client did absolutely nothing wrong, his daughter uses AOL IM and that is how the trojan.sinkin spreads.
    Then the kid was NOT practicing safe computing. (or parents did not ensure this) I know of no virus or trijan that can automatically install itself after being transferred via http or ftp. To be installed the malicious app MUST be executed by someone. It must be clicked upon to execute it or else the computer has insufficient security policies, e.g. misconfigured browser security, misconfigured email client security etc. etc. Unsafe computing also includes using apps that have many security holes in them. And enabling file transfers in AIM for kids is just plain stupid on the part of the parents. Obviously the browser security settings are misconfigured because the trojan.stinkin worm uses an ActiveX Control to install itself and if browser is configured ciorrectly then installation of this worm is impossible without clicking "yes" to install it.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Originally posted by blebs99

Tony not everyone can be a computer security expert. You are talking about a 15 y/o girl here who likes to IM her friends. Bottom line Symantec <-(for YOSC LOL) Corporate failed, it did not quarantine the trojan properly. This thread could go on and on but that would be pointless. I set the pc up so I know it was done right. They have a good firewall, AV app and anti spyware measures had been done. To me there was no excuse for Norton not quaratining it properly, AVG had no problem doing so.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    If I based my choices based on an instance where a product/brand failed me...I'd not have any choices left. It's the law of averages that shows me which one does the best in the long run....but one failure...heck they've all done that to me.

Current fave is Symantecs Client Security...an AV similar to their Corp/Small Business Edition, and...a software firewall..all in one product.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

In all fairness, YOSC is right.

AVG or Norton, or McAffee or any antivirus app can and will at some point not recognize a virus that the others will.

There is no perfect AntiVirus solution.

I'll settle this thread once and for all. All AV programs Suck! None of them work and they all cause problems. Now, get back to work!

SCat is on it. This is the reason that AV's are tested on different platforms. One may catch it on 9x and miss it totally on NT. Also, it depends on who finds the virus and is first to get out an "effective" definiton.

Meander through this site and you will see what I mean...
    http://www.virusbtn.com/ They routinely test the various platforms and products.

The most consistent that I have found is indeed Symantec Corp. Yes, it is a bit expensive, however I feel that it is worth it... (25 licenses- ~$850)

I despise Norton products, with the exception of this. I run it on about 35 machines (Yes, I have more than enough licenses... ) and it has not let me down ...yet...

Smile

Absolutely right.
    VBulletin needs to be checked out thoroughly if you are selecting an AV program.
    Bear in mind also that one false positive will fail a program that has detected all the "in the wild" viruses thrown at it in the test. Unfortunately, that is not shown in the results seen at VBulletin unless you sub$cribe to their service.

Another coupla points....

Is it the responsibility of an AV product to mother and father us completely? I think not.

Isn't it is up to us as responsible parents/computer users to make sure our children surf safely which includes finding alternatives to things like AOL chat.

Is it the responsibility of an AV program to seek and destroy Trogans?
    If it were, there wold be no need for anti trojan programs like TDS or TrojanHunter to name but two.

Have fun.

Croc.

I agree with all of your valid points but I think you are missing my point.

Symantec Corporate did not do it's job, period. It detected a trojan EVERY time the pc rebooted and said the trojan was quarantined yet did the same thing on the next reboot.

Gotchya.

Should have picked up on this before, but.......

When it detected the trojan, did it give it's file name?
    It may have been picking up on a .cpy file and continue to quarantine the trojan at boot.

Try shutting down System Restore and reboot before scanning if it's in the OS they use.

Welcome to Club AVG, mnosteele52. I am sure you will enjoy the ride.

Croc.

Welcome to Club AVG, mnosteele52. I am sure you will enjoy the ride.
    x3

Yep Croc, it was the trojan.sinkin and system restore has always been disabled.

I understand that all programs have their pluses and minuses but when Symantec recognized it and said it was quarantined but it wasn't - that's where I have a problem. If it wasn't in Symantec's database I could understand why it did this, but AVG caught it and said it was quarantined and it actually did quarantine it as it should.

Dannjr has been trying to get me to use AVG for a long time, it's all he uses. He has seen countless times where AVG found things Norton either missed or couldn't quarantine. I have had it on my laptop for a while but now it's all I will use as well.

Originally posted by blebs99
    I'll settle this thread once and for all. All AV programs Suck! None of them work and they all cause problems. Now, get back to work!

There is another free AV product which is totally certified and better than AVG...and it's also free...and tech support is free as well.

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html

...formerly the omnipotent UOD