Thread: Wireless routers (Which is better?)

Exclamation Wireless routers (Which is better?)

I'm looking for the best bang in a wireless router or hub for the buck. I'm not sure which router or hub would suit me best, so please post your opinions on which router I should get.

Thank you.
    WinXP Pro SP2 RC2
    ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe
    XP3200+
    1GB Samsung DDR
    9600XT
    120 GB SATA Seagate

The Linksys WRT54G should be fine for your needs, whether its wireless or wired.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01028

Advanced Member
    On Wireless:

802.11b vs. 802.11g.

For Internet surfing it does mot matter since Internet broadband connection is slower than 802.11b

For traffic across Internal LAN, 802.11g is significantly faster.

General Wireless info.

As a frame of reference. The transfer “Speed” of a Good Windows based 100Mb/sec. Network is 70 to 80Mb/sec. (b=bits 8bits=1Byte)

These are the most common used Wireless standard and their official rating.

802.11b = 11Mb/sec. Network "Speed" (Carrier transmission 2.4GHz)
    802.11g = 54Mb/sec. Network "Speed” (Carrier transmission 2.4GHz)

Wireless Ethernet needs additional protocol over head for the transfer. In addition, it is not as stable as Wired so it needs extra processing procedures.

As a result the 11Mb/sec. of the Network chipset is translated to a much lower actual performance. Usually 4-6Mb/sec.

Few 802.11b hardware units are also capable to work at 22Mb/sec. (usually referred to as b+) it is nice if it works, in real term will yield 20%-40% more than 11Mb/sec. systems.

The 802.11g line that is rated 54Mb/sec. in the real world it yields 18-22Mb/sec.

Log the following page. The differences between the first set of graphs to the second represent the performance differences between 802.11b to 802.11g

Link: 802.11a/b/g SOHO Routers & Access Points: Performance.

Notice how the D-Link and Netgear Super G arewell above the rest of the Crowd.

If saving every $ is not he issue the Super G is the way to go.

Note. If you go Super G get all units should be of the same Brand.

I've said it before and i'll say it again...
    Dreytek routers offer the best feature set and value for money out of all of the SOHO routers i've seen and used.

See :
    http://www.draytek.com.tw/english/pr...600_x_w_we.php

OJ
    OJ
    Those who fail to prepare, must prepare to fail

Looking at the LinkSys routers, and was just wondering what exactly is the difference between the WAP54G model and the WRT54G?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by brianosmi
    Looking at the LinkSys routers, and was just wondering what exactly is the difference between the WAP54G model and the WRT54G?
    WAP is just an access point...consider it like a wireless hub/switch. To connect to broadband, you would daisy chain this to an existing router already in place.

WRT is a full router with a built in switch and access point...can connect to broadband all by itself.

Ze2o...my advice is shoot for a "G" product. Yes on paper both B and G are way more than even the fastest of broadband, my exprience with G products is they do perform better at a distance...range, higher throughput at that range limit where B would probably not pull a workable signal.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The WAP54G is a access point, which would be used if you already had a router in place and wanted to add wireless to the network.

The WRT54G is a wireless broadband router which I would recomend for somone just getting into setting up a network and doesn't need a feature rich router/high priced router. Good thing about these routers, they can be picked up at most retail stores.

Thanks! I think I'll go out and get one today.