Thread: Urgent Help with setting up new comp..PLZ!! :)

//Simpo

Urgent Help with setting up new comp..PLZ!! :)

hey,

off my folks yesterday i got...

MSI KT4 Ultra
    512mb DDR333 PC2700
    Athlon XP 2600+
    Maxtor DiamondMax9 40gb HDD...

i thought i had it all setup right with the HDD in IDE1, DVD and CD-RW in IDE2 and floppy in the floppy bit...

at 1st the CPU cwas only clocking at 1250mhz, but then came here and sorted that prob..... (Sperad spectrum then adjusted the FSB to 166mhz ) then after that, when i go to boot up i got.... "no device connected to the Fasttrack controller...bios not installed" then browing through the forum i found how to "solve" that problem... ( disabled the Serial ATA thing, dont know if thats right .... ) but now i dont get that "bios not installed" line any more.... all i get is a flashing line in the top left of my screen....

so to sum up....all i get now is.... that flashing line......what could be goin wrong?

P.S... sorry if that doesnt make sense... i have a hard time explaining myself ..

Thanks in advance.....a very distressed...

//Simpo

What about jumpers on the hard drive.... make sure the drive is on the last connector on the IDE cable, and make sure the drive is set to master.... try this then post back.
    Asus p4p800 Deluxe Mobo - Pentium 4 3.2 @ 3.6 - Thermaltake Spark7 HSF - Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 - ATI Radeon x850 XT PE 256mb - Maxtor 120 GB 8mb cache - Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 - Altec Lansing 5.1 Sattelites w/sub - Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case

Also, clear your CMOS..... boot up at the default settings first..... also you said you adjusted the FSB to 166, did you do this via a mothe board jumper, or the BIOS itelf? Check your board, to see if there is a FSB jumper usually 133/166.
    Asus p4p800 Deluxe Mobo - Pentium 4 3.2 @ 3.6 - Thermaltake Spark7 HSF - Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 - ATI Radeon x850 XT PE 256mb - Maxtor 120 GB 8mb cache - Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 - Altec Lansing 5.1 Sattelites w/sub - Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case

Also, that FastTrack is a RAID controller. Someone who knows more about AMD setups can help you more.....

//Simpo
    thanks man, gonna give it a try now..

I just downloaded your manual and I finished looking through it..... it is jumper free like my board.... as long as the IDE is setup properly it should boot up fine.

Simpo go here

Make sure the jumper on the back of the hard drive matches these charts

http://service.maxtor.com/rightnow/i...%20jumpers.htm

Do you have two drives on the primary ide channel?? Or one on each?

//Simpo
    hey bro....this HDD was used on my old computer aswell so to the little jumpers have to be changed depending on the mobo?...in the BIOS the HDD is recognised as the master.

and that about the number of drives...

My HDD is in IDE1... on the end connector
    My DVD and CD-RW are on IDE2...

that help at all?

Sorry to keep buggin ya man... apreciated all this help is

are you getting past POST without errors? i know you get the flashing cursor, but i mean besides that.

has the HDD been partitioned and formatted?
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

//Simpo
    hehe, i r a bit of a nOOb... what is this POST.... if this helps... it actually starts to boot as normal actually... but then stops on that flashing cursor...

the HDD is on the single partition.... u think i should format?

//Simpo
    ahha, just thought, when i was fitting the Heatsink there was this weird grey clay stuff over the copper plate on the bottom of the fan..... what was that?

that got anything to do with it u reckon?

POST = Power On Self Test

its the very first screen you see when you power up your system (shows CPU frequency, amount of memory, drives, etc). the CMOS (which houses the BIOS) checks for the minimum requirements for a successful boot (CPU, system memory, VGA device and a bootable drive of some kind), then scans for other devices and drives.

defining new a new partition(s) and formatting would be my first suggestion. just wipe it clean and start from scatch.

as far as the grey gunk.... it;s probably either dust or dryed out thermal paste. i doubt highly it has anything to do with your problem. if there was a problem with the CPU, you wouldn;t get through POST (wouldn;t get any system activity at all).

my guess is that the system is trying to boot to a software/operating system that is drastically different hardware-wise from the system it came out of. you will usually will still be able to get to a screwed up desktop, but just to eliminate this as a possibile cause of the problem, i would format it.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Definitely.....

//Simpo
    right... ill go try that then.... back soon guys...thanks for help

Easiest way to format is just boot from the Windows CD, then install on the same partition, and do the (quick) format....

//Simpo

well, this time, i formatted, it went thru the DOS setup bit, then rebooted.... then went into the normal windows setup (so she actually booted this time.... BUT... my windows XP disk is f**ck*d...

so it looks like its gonna work now, i just gott find an OS to put on it

once i do that, i can give my this computer back

Thanks for your help guys, ill keep ya posted

SImpo

Venge This!
    If you get CRC errors with that board you WILL need to obtain latest bios. v1.5 i think??
    Rob

i got a similar issue when i switched mobo cpu and memory.

i used the ide cable the first time i booted then i switched it to sata after i figured out how to.

if you come across this problem again. boot to cd-rom. and boot form your windows disk.

after the first or second screen it will ask if you would like to repair windows. hit r (r= repair) then let it "do it's thing" and it will act like it's reinstalling windows. on your first boot you will get your log on screen (if you use a password) and your normal desktop.

i didn't think windows would do this but i gave it a try and it worked. im still considering on doing a format and starting fresh to see if i get any performance boost.
    ------------------------------------------------
    .specs.
    Abit Nf7-S rev 2~AMD AThlon xp 2500+ ~(1.83ghz)@3400+(2.442ghz)~tt valconoe 12+~Geil Ultra Series~256MB DDR PC-3500~ATI-AIW-Radeon~9800pro-128mb_ddr~100 gig' for xp
    ---------------------------------------------