Thread: What the heck is a BIOS checksum error?

What the heck is a BIOS checksum error?

For some reason whenever I start one of my computers it says "BIOS Checksum error" then it searches for drive A and doesn't find it, then it just starts beeping and doesn't do anything

What the heck should I do?!
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Re: What the heck is a BIOS checksum error?

Originally posted by sludge
    For some reason whenever I start one of my computers it says "BIOS Checksum error" then it searches for drive A and doesn't find it, then it just starts beeping and doesn't do anything

What the heck should I do?!
    Clear CMOS, also might be time for a new battery.

How is it that I would go about clearing the CMOS?

Would I take the battery out for a few minutes or something?

Also, if I were to have to flash the BIOS, where would I find the flash files? All I can find are upgrade files

New board, don't think it's time for a new battery.

It says "BIOS ROM checksum error"
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

Originally posted by sludge
    How is it that I would go about clearing the CMOS?

Would I take the battery out for a few minutes or something?

Also, if I were to have to flash the BIOS, where would I find the flash files? All I can find are upgrade files

New board, don't think it's time for a new battery.

It says "BIOS ROM checksum error"
    there's a jumper on the mobo (on newer ones it's usually the only one)

That didn't work.

I tried it more than once, it still wants me to instert some disc into drive a, I would think the bios...I just don't have it anywhere to put it on there.

Help?

Try unluging the PC for 20 mins or so Should reset the cmos
    Cancer Baaaaaad! Folding Goooood!

If that doesn't work what should I do?

I read somewhere that a BIOS ROM checksum error isn't like a CMOS checksumerror, that it means the actual BIOS is damaged.

What the heck should I do man?

Dont look good man

Explanation: The read-only memory (ROM) containing the BIOS program is protected by a checksum value as a double-check that the ROM code is correct. This checksum is compared against the values in the ROM each time the PC is booted and if there is a mismatch, this code is generated.

If the bios is Damaged this isn't much you can do other then replace the board

You could try to Reflash the bios

What Make and model is your board?

XFX KT400ANB Version 2.10(some say kt400-anb).

Northbridge
    VIA Apollo KT400

Southbridge
    VIA 8235CD

I can't find the flash anywhere, if you could i would be very greatful.

I can't figure out how this could have happened, I went to restart my computer and my cd drive got stuck out, so it tried to go in, but couldn't, then some weird looking messed up stuff apeared and I restarted, ever since then it's been doing this.

I would think a BIOS flash would work, but all I can find is a uprage and my board wont run it, I think it's looking for the flash.

On the bottem
    http://www.xfxforce.com/mb/pinedrive...on4in1447v.exe

But if your Drive A willnt boot up how you gonna flash your BIOs?

Iv never had a Bios Die on my so i working on Guessing

Mabye some one that knows a little more can help ya out

Id try Leting it sit 20min to a hour then try If no got then id remove all Unused PCI card and Hard drive CD rom Floppys ect see if it will boot to BIOs

If some how you can get it to read a disk on drive A you could try to reflash the BIOs and see how that gos

FYI you must flash the bios From a Floppy disk Out side of windows

What is my mobo asking for?

It wants me to instert some system file into the A drive, I'm just not sure what. I can't boot into anything like DOS, but what does it want me to instertt?

Whats the exect Erorr?

It doesn't say.

All it says is the name of the BIOS, then it says "BIOS ROM checksum error" and that it is checking for drive a, when it finds it everything I've tried putting in it wont use and keeps telling me to insert the system disk.

I don'tknow what the systm disk is!

I tried taking the BIOS update and using it, but it doesn't work. It just says to insert the system disk.

Could it be because that is a BIOS update that it isn't working?

Just checking in to let ya'll know I fixed it. I'm on that computer right now.

I found a couple fancy utilities on google, and used them. I ended up doing the BIOS upgrade so now I'm better off than before..

Thanks Set, and Google!

I need to know how you fixed this we are having the EXACT same problem. please help i know this thread is probably very old but i hope it will come across you

Toronto, Canada Computers Built and Fixed personally: 720
    lol...

you should really have created a new thread in the future if you want people to answer. In anycase here is what you should do:

1.) Unplug your computer and then open up your case.
    2.) Remove the CMOS battery from your computer (it look like a round nickel) and unplug the power supply from the motherboard.
    3.) Wait around 10-15 minutes before putting the CMOS battery and plugging in the power supply.
    4.) Plug the power cord back into your computer and power on the computer. You may see a message that says that your settings are incorrect and that you need to enter the setup. At this point go into the BIOS and reconfigure your motherboard settings. Refer to your motherboard / cpu manual for setting information (most of it is automatic) and if you have any further questions post it in a new thread.

Cheers,
    M
    Intel Core 2 Duo Q8300 2.55Ghz (1333mhz)
    Asus P5N-D
    OCZ Platinum 8gb (2x2gb) PC8000 1000mhz 5-5-5-18
    EVGA 460GTX 1gb PCIE 2.0
    Western Digital Black 640gb x 2 Raid 0
    Coolermaster 1000W Modular PSU
    Antec NSK4480B
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

----------------------------------------------------------
    HP TC5700 (Thin Client) 1ghz, 512mb 80gb 1x1000mb NIC 1x100mb NIC running PFSense 1.22
    Linksys WRT-150 running DD-WRT V.24 (Access Point)

"SG Techies rule!" - Sig Buddies with Amro

I had this problem JUST yesterday and I tried everything you guys did. I found my solution which is also rare. My Bios chip was slotted properly, but not in securely enough. I pressed down as hard as I could on my Bios chip and my computer turned on.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and here's my own!

Find your BIOS chip and press down on it. Make sure its in there. Vibrations from your motherboard and graphics card can slightly move it over the years.