Thread: Question: DrTCP Won't Change Settings for PPPoE. Must I change them manually?

johnmiller@nasw

Question: DrTCP Won't Change Settings for PPPoE. Must I change them manually?

I'm trying to change MTU and RWIN according to recommendations from the results of the DSLreports.com tweaking test.

I pinged their site to find out my best MTU will be 1335 + 28 = 1362, because at higher MTU settings, packets must be fragmented to send.

But....When I put this value into the DrTCP interactive window, save, reboot, and then reopen DrTCP, there is no evidence that the program changed anything, because the same values as before the tweak still appear.

Also, when I try to change RWIN on DrTCP to follow the recommendations of the same test, the same thing happens. I have no idea whether anything changed.

One FAQ in the Tweaking section at DSLreports.com says PPPoE users must edit the register manually. Is this true?

In addition, anybody know a walk-through which would tell me how to change MTU and RWIN manually, after having saved (exported) the registry file so I can restore the old values if I screw up?

Thanks much for your help.

John Miller
    johnmiller@nasw.org

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    What ppoe software are you using also what windows version you are using.
    Comptia a+ n+

johnmiller@nasw
    Hi and thanks,

I'm running WINPoet on Windows 98se.

John

http://www.carricksolutions.com/winpoet.php#24Note: You must install WinPoET V.6 or higher.
    1) Double click the WinPoET icon on your desktop
    2) Click "Options"
    3) Click "Advanced"

4) Select "Set the MTU for me manually"
    5) Type the MTU you want to use (no higher then 1492)
    6) Click "OK"
    7) Click "OK" on information pop up
    8) Close WinPoET -> Reboot
    9) Done!
    Comptia a+ n+

johnmiller@nasw
    Thanks again so much.

I should have told you that I have a DSL connection to Earthlink.net via Covad. Advertised to be 1500/384. I'm getting ~100/190.

I mention Earthlink because when I go onto the WINPoet site, they say go away, they don't support me, and if I want to upgrade, I must pay for it.

1. Will version 6.0 work well with my WIN 98SE on my four-year-old PC clone with 450mhz processor, probably 100mhz bus, and 384 mb memory?

2. I don't have any idea whether v6.0 is compatable with my connection to Earthlink. If you do, you are a genius!

3. Can I manually insert the MTU value I calculated from the ping packet-fragmentation test? Can I similarly try out the range of RWIN values the tweak test suggested by putting them in manually? If yes, where might I find walk-though guidance.

When I ask these questions to Earthlink technical support, I get incomplete unhelpful answers back that always end with "We don't recommend you change your registry." I mention that just to say that the obvious source of information to me hires folks who appear not to have answers to some common questions and presume I'll screw up the registry even if I back it up first.

Sorry for all this partial information that is taking more of your time than is necessary. Thank you again for your help.

John Miller
    johnmiller@nasw.org

johnmiller@nasw
    Oops!! I meant I am getting about 1100kb down, not 100!

John Miller

1. Will version 6.0 work well with my WIN 98SE on my four-year-old PC clone with 450mhz processor, probably 100mhz bus, and 384 mb memory?

2. I don't have any idea whether v6.0 is compatable with my connection to Earthlink. If you do, you are a genius!

3. Can I manually insert the MTU value I calculated from the ping packet-fragmentation test? Can I similarly try out the range of RWIN values the tweak test suggested by putting them in manually? If yes, where might I find walk-though guidance.

1. if they want you pay for it try this fix first http://dslnuts.com/pppoe/winpoet.htm if still not working use rasppoe and remove winpoet compelety http://www.raspppoe.com/

2. see number one

3. Yes you can i would stick with an mtu of 1492 you aren't going to gain anything with alower mtu plus it will be harder to calculate rwin. http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=119
    Comptia a+ n+

johnmiller@nasw
    Thank you so very much, McCoffee!! You are a godsend! Happy European Friday night!

John Miller
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA