Thread: question for dog owners,nutrition question

Smile question for dog owners,nutrition question

my dog is a 3 year old active female, I have her on this food,which I think is very good, ,but someone recommended this food the other day to me,it looks interesting,do you think it's a better food than the Nutro Max?

do you think it's worth switching?

any thoughts?

Your best bet is to consult with the Vet.

Offhand they both look ok, depends on what you'll get a better price on.

If the link you gave for the second one is where you'd be getting it, the shipping will be a lot I assume.

I can take a look at Nutro Max again when I go to work Wednesday...it's our best selling dog food. They got bought out a couple years ago and quality took a dive but recently it's been better.

In general you want to look for high whole meat content instead of by-products (ingredients are listed by weight so the first is what there's the most of by weight. For example, if the first ingredient is corn, chances are the food sucks and is made by Purina)

Also natural preservatives such as Vit. E, instead of ethoxyquin, butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) and butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA). Nasty crap there.

Also whole grains instead of processed.

Originally posted by Debbie
    Your best bet is to consult with the Vet.
    Eh.

Most vets agree most of the high end foods will be fine, but try to sell you what they carry anyway.

Originally posted by Humboldt
    Offhand they both look ok, depends on what you'll get a better price on.

If the link you gave for the second one is where you'd be getting it, the shipping will be a lot I assume.

I can take a look at Nutro Max again when I go to work Wednesday...it's our best selling dog food. They got bought out a couple years ago and quality took a dive but recently it's been better.

In general you want to look for high whole meat content instead of by-products (ingredients are listed by weight so the first is what there's the most of by weight. For example, if the first ingredient is corn, chances are the food sucks and is made by Purina)

Also natural preservatives such as Vit. E, instead of ethoxyquin, butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) and butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA). Nasty crap there.

Also whole grains instead of processed.

I buy her supplies locally at a great supply store that has good prices,that was just a site that had the ingredients.

thanks

Give her a cooked egg on occasion, just to ler her know you care.....

np. There's certainly nothing wrong with Nutro Max. The other food looks decent also though, if it's carried locally get a bag and see if she has a preference. Nothing wrong with switching foods every few months anyway, it's actually recommended.

Trying to figure that out now myself. Just got hired at a pet supply store where I can get everything at cost. They actually don't carry what I've been feeding (Canidae Lamb and Rice) but said they'd be glad to special order it for me. Not sure whether to go with that or just switch to something we carry (high ends like Solid Gold...great food with horrible packaging, Innova, California Natural, nurto Max, Eukanuba (past amazing food that now sucks ass since being bought by Proctor and Gamble).

Anyways...give her a scratch for me.

np. There's certainly nothing wrong with Nutro Max. The other food looks decent also though, if it's carried locally get a bag and see if she has a preference. Nothing wrong with switching foods every few months anyway, it's actually recommended.

Trying to figure that out now myself. Just got hired at a pet supply store where I can get everything at cost. They actually don't carry what I've been feeding (Canidae Lamb and Rice) but said they'd be glad to special order it for me. Not sure whether to go with that or just switch to something we carry (high ends like Solid Gold...great food with horrible packaging, Innova, California Natural, nurto Max, Eukanuba (past amazing food that now sucks ass since being bought by Proctor and Gamble).

Anyways...give her a scratch for me.
    I found some great sites explaining the ingredients on the labels,and I found this>

"Oatmeal - Is a heart smart food that is an excellent fiber source and is clinically proven to lower cholesterol."

the Artemis lists oatmeal as it's 5th ingredient,and nutro does'nt list it at all,

check this out

Originally posted by teacher.aide
    I found some great sites explaining the ingredients on the labels,and I found this>

"Oatmeal - Is a heart smart food that is an excellent fiber source and is clinically proven to lower cholesterol."

the Artemis lists oatmeal as it's 5th ingredient,and nutro does'nt list it at all,

check this out
    Excellent article...bookmarked.

It actually does a great job of giving the same info as an article I was going to recommend to you...from the Whole Dog Journal (check it out if you can, I'll look for a link).

They had an article several months ago very similar to what's at that site you posted.

Excellent article...bookmarked.

It actually does a great job of giving the same info as an article I was going to recommend to you...from the Whole Dog Journal (check it out if you can, I'll look for a link).

They had an article several months ago very similar to what's at that site you posted.
    I went there and it's all pay per article or membership.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/

now i feel like a bad dog owner for not caring so much about what my dog eats..

I went there and it's all pay per article or membership.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/
    Yes.

Sorry, I meant a link to their site so you could look into the paper copy of their journal. Very good, very informative.

I tried to log on as a member but it didn't recognize my account number. Sent an email to their site support, will let you know.

Originally posted by Meggie
    What do you feed?

Originally posted by Meggie
    yup! do some research and you'll find that your sweetheart can benefit in many ways from the food you give to them.

mentally ,physically,energy level,longer life,skin and coat,breath,
    even less stinky poop!
    Last edited by teacher.aide; 12-02-03 at 03:12 AM.

even less stinky poop!
    and, depending on the food, less of it.

Better foods are digested more thoroughly and you end up with less crap per crap.