Thread: need tips on wireless access point

need tips on wireless access point

okay... i am not hip to the wireless hardware out there. decided i would hook my folks up with a decent wireless broadband router and a PCMCIA wireless network adapter for pop's notebook.

anyways.... what i am looking for is something dependable (good drivers and support), really easy setup/install (no servers will be run) and good quality. mom's on a desktop, so a built-in 10/100 4 port switch would be great. and if it's UPnP compatable, that woukld be a bonus.... they don;t use NetMeeting right now, but i would like it to be possible for them without needing to forward ports. IEEE 802.11* compatability would be nice (in case my father decides to set up his office/company with wireless).

BTW, my folks live 2000 miles away, so ease of setup is kind of paramount. i mean, they could call me, but i want this to be as easy for them as possible.

any help/suggestions/tips would be much appreciated. knowing me, i will wait until 3 days before x-mas to make the purchase, but i would liketo aviod that for once .
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

I will always stand by linksys. I've owned three linksys routers and am currently using the wireless with 4 ports. The 802.11b series is enough.

If they're runing cable, there will be NO setup necessary, simply pnp. If they're running dsl, you're looking at a 2-5 minute setup. THis setup will allow the router to sign into the dsl account, elimating the computer from bearing that burden.

just avoid access points, stick to a full blown wireless router. I had a nightmare with an access point.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    I was about to say linksys too very very easy setup. Plus dlink i heard is good on wireless
    Comptia a+ n+

I'm partial to Netgear products for easy home networking. May I suggest the WGR614 Router. It is a wireless access point along with 4 ports on the back. Setup is also easy. The netgear could probably be found for a little cheaper than the Lynksys.

Also, you can find real good deals on 802B products now. The WGR614 is a 802G speed, but if your parents are only doing email and surfing, then you could go with 802B.

we have a DLink DI614+ works fine, with no probs...

4 PCs connected to it...
    and one wireless client..Laptop..

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by zooner
    cable, there will be NO setup necessary, simply pnp. If they're running dsl, you're looking at a 2-5 minute setup.
    Depends on who your cable ISP is. Actually in my area, there is more time involved with cable setup, erasing MAC memory in cable modem...30 minute powerdown. DSL is easy...15 -30 seconds to log into router web admin, enter PPPoE username/password..apply..release renew to obtain DNS, BAM, you're on.

Faust I'd go with G....yes on paper G doesn't seem to have an advantage over B, 54 megs vs 11 megs, when 1.5 megs if often the tops for broadband in the first place. But G seems to carry a signal better if pushed for throughput at a distance, or getting the signal through those thick walls, where B would totally cut out. That's been my experience anyways. Not really much of a price difference between B and G anymore, like there was last winter/spring.

Linksys and DLink seem to have an edge on UPnP support. I've got to say the Microsoft routers are also pretty slick, easy to setup, and perform well. I'm assuming you're just gonna stay with the home market routers.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

thanks a bunch guys.... as of yet i haven;t really made up my mind. was just looking at whats out there.

couple of questions...... is USRobotics still a quality name in communications? i mean for years and years they were top-notch. found a 802.11g router and PCMCIA card for a good price.... not that price is the main concern.... i am just wondering if i should even consider them at this point.

i am still wading through the ocean of D-Link, Linksys and Netgear stuff out there, too..... trying to figure out what will have the highest degree of future compatability/flexibility. i don;t want to hook them up with "g", and then in a year if my dad wants to set up the office with wireless him having trouble finding good hardware that supports "g" (dont want him to keep having to switch out the PC card when he goes from the office to home). also, i hadn;t even considered the MS solution. have read good things, so i may have a look-see at their hardware.

and what about 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz. is the market moving towards 5GHz, or do you think 2.4GHz will be a standard for awhile.

agin, i really appreciate the help, guys.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Originally posted by Faust
    couple of questions...... is USRobotics still a quality name in communications? i mean for years and years they were top-notch. found a 802.11g router and PCMCIA card for a good price.... not that price is the main concern.... i am just wondering if i should even consider them at this point.
    I love their NICs, old hubs, switches...I haven't played with their latest routers, but their earlier routers were just "bland...dry....barebones in features". Similar to Netgear. Just "Comon guys...get some good features in there like everyone else". It's like they have a product or two out there "just to have them"...but aren't putting a lot into them.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by Faust
    and what about 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz. is the market moving towards 5GHz, or do you think 2.4GHz will be a standard for awhile.
    Tough to answer....it's like 5 isn't catching on like everyone thought earlier. G seems to be where it's at now...who knows what will really take off next. I think something like "I" is a bit down the road, I forget what that runs on.

For a home LAN...really boils down to "who cares"...setup your router or wappie, and NIC, with whatever works well know. Minimal cost, and if something else like "I" is hot 2 years from now, what does it matter? Not like the G will stop working in 2 years.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

the netgears seem to get higher reviews than the linkies..and i prefer netgear as i've had issues w/ linksys equipment lately..befsr41s die on me..they just sit there and die (well they don't die, but i get bad ports on switches, and the ac adapters buzz--drives me nuts)..