Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who want to discover the real beauty of torrent!

For those who want to discover the real beauty of torrent!

Ok im writing a little quide on what I have discovered and now love!

If you've used Kazza lite or any p2p program you know its still slow and a hassle .. right?

And torrent sucks because you cant limit upload right? WRONG!

If you go to http://www.torrentstorm.com and download that program you can configure upload speed, connections and anything else you want!

BONUS: You can download as many torrents as you want at one time!

How to search for torrents:

go to http://www.suprnova.org

click on a category and look for what you want.

Disclaimer: By posting this i do not in any way encourage the downloading and piracy of illegal software, video or music material. It is simply a guide on how to better enjoy torrents.

Nice thread. Thanks.
    Asus p4p800 Deluxe Mobo - Pentium 4 3.2 @ 3.6 - Thermaltake Spark7 HSF - Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 - ATI Radeon x850 XT PE 256mb - Maxtor 120 GB 8mb cache - Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 - Altec Lansing 5.1 Sattelites w/sub - Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case

Thanks massa that supernova site is great.
    Asus p4p800 Deluxe Mobo - Pentium 4 3.2 @ 3.6 - Thermaltake Spark7 HSF - Geil Golden Dragon PC3200 - ATI Radeon x850 XT PE 256mb - Maxtor 120 GB 8mb cache - Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 - Altec Lansing 5.1 Sattelites w/sub - Cooler Master Cavalier 3 case

question about bit torrent. How come I get an upload speed when I'm downloading? Does having the upload speed at unlimited increase my DL speed at all? Any recommendations ?

The principle behind a torrent is that you upload as you download. This means that the more people that are downloading (theoretically) the faster everyone downloads. You can set your upload speed to a limited rate in torrentstorm by going to :

view --> settings

and you should see a setting about halfway down that lets you limit your upload speed, (you have to restart the program and all downloads (pause and resume) to bring this into effect)

If you want a faster download, try to select torrents that have more seeds (people downloading) as this will increase your overall speed.

The main reason people cap upload is if the ISP has a limit on how much you can upload. Dont bother about it slowing your downloads, it may just slightly slow other upload activities such as web browsing.

Hope it helps,

Massa

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    torrent is tit-for-tat so to speak. The more people who connect the more down speed there is to share because everyone shares their upspeed in a "pot" I guess you could say. So this overall combined upload bandwidth is shared between everyone.

You can limit the upload speeds with the normal torrent too Don't know how you do it in windows (although the software is identicle) but the switch is

--max_upload_rate XX

And that's for windows / linux etc etc

Thx...

The downloads are so damn slow.... if its dependant on my upload speed.... it will take forever... only 128 upload cap.

I limit my uploads to 15 K a sec (128kbit) and I max my connection out, always getting 100KBytes/s+ after 5/10 minutes of waiting.

Oh yeah, if you're behind a router you will need to open a few ports. 6881 through to 6889 is the range that bittorrent normally scans for to send outbound

I had these closed at first and speeds sucked.

Well I put from port 6881 to 6689 protocal TCP AND UDP Then I forward to my IP address.... still slow as ****... even after 10 minutes.. I even put those ports into port triggering just to be sure... stil nothin

maybe there aren't a lot of seeders for that particular file. Or maybe everyone is limiting their upload speed

Well I'm trying to download a DVD rip of Freddy vs Jason... 215 seeds

How many downloading and how long have you left it alone? I've normally come back after getting a snack and the speed's jumped from 2k/s to 100+ in the space of 10 / 15 mins max.

Try another download. You can stop and resume with torrents anyway, so stop that download and give something else a try.

The MAX I've gotten on torrent so far i about 11kb/s. I left my download going for 5 hours. Then I switched to another file, same movie, same stuff. All of my other DL's are only like 0.5 - 1 kbps.

I have 3 files at once.... Freddy vs Jason was at 9 kbps

Charlies Angels 2 was at 0.5 kbps

Nirvana Albums (all) was at 0.15kbps

That's one thing.... I haven't done multi-downloads or used the client that you're using.

Try getting one file to begin with. See if that changes anything at all If you get decent speeds then you know it's because you were running multi downloads at once.

I'm going to bed now anyway, it's 03:08am so catch you later. Hope it works for you

If not, just blast out some slayer and air guitar. Go nuts and trash the air guitar over your PC.

rofl

Btw what client you use? I'm using TorrentStorm

3:08 am!?? Where do ya live??

Certified SG Addict
    Please don't discuss warez or methods of obtaining warez or movies illegally.

Originally posted by TrevGlas
    I have 3 files at once.... Freddy vs Jason was at 9 kbps

Charlies Angels 2 was at 0.5 kbps

Nirvana Albums (all) was at 0.15kbps
    of course Trev you own these films and albums so it is quite ok for you to download backups and discus the backing-up of your original items, yes?