Thread: Fast page loading speeds but slow downloading speeds

Mitch G

Fast page loading speeds but slow downloading speeds

I have a cable modem connection with guaranteed speed of 300Kbps each way. Well, when I run various bandwidth tests, I see the timed test shows speedy performance (> 300Kbps). However, the download tests (the ones that download a file and see how long it took) show a 60Kbps speed.

Since this happens on two completely different computers running different OSs (WinXP and Win2000), I guess I'm wondering if this is normal. In other words, file downloads will always be slower when compared to HTTP/UDP type traffic.

I've tried the standard tweaks and it hasn't changed the download results. And TCP/IP analyzer didn't show that much was wrong, anyway.

So, before I get all crazy and try tweaking every little thing, I want to know if it's worth it.

Thanks,

Mitch

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Take a tcpip analyzer below me cut and paste everything below ip information

Tweaking yep its worth it. The test resaults there is alot of test sites that are very very inaccurate. http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...301#post643301

Try the speakeasy test in the link above also read it alot of good information select the closet server to you there a litlle more accurate.
    Comptia a+ n+

Mitch G
    OK I've finally gotten back around to this task. So, here goes. I'll answer the obligatory questions, first.

Thanks,

Mitch

-------

1) I have a cable modem connection. To be more specific, I have a cable modem attached to a D-Link (wireless) router. But, my computer is hardwired with 10/100 Cat 5 cable to the router.

2) My ISP is Wideopenwest (aka Wowway). I have guaranteed up/down speed of 300Kbps.
    I ran the speakeasy test and it indicates about 300Kbps upload speed, and about 450Kbps download speed. This doesn't surprise me. It's the file downloads that are annoying me at only about 60Kbps rate.

3) Here are my current settings from the TCP/IP analyzer test.

Browser/OS = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; AT&T CSM6.0; AT&T CSM 6)
    Notes: Read the Analyzer FAQ if the above is not your IP address.

TCP options string = 020405480103030201010402
    MTU = 1392
    MTU is not fully optimized for broadband. Consider increasing your MTU to 1500 for better throughput.
    MSS = 1352
    MSS is not fully optimized for broadband (although it might work well for slower connections). Consider increasing your MTU value.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 256960
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits (scale factor of 4)
    Unscaled Receive Window = 64240

For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    519168 (MSS x 48 * scale factor of 8)
    259584 (MSS x 48 * scale factor of 4)
    129792 (MSS x 48 * scale factor of 2)
    64896 (MSS x 48)
    bandwidth * delay product:

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 10278.4 kbps (1284.8 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 4111.36 kbps (513.92 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON
    Time to live left = 51 hops

TTL value is ok.
    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
    IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000

TCP options string = 020405480103030201010402
    MTU = 1392
    MTU is not fully optimized for broadband. Consider increasing your MTU to 1500 for better throughput.
    MSS = 1352
    MSS is not fully optimized for broadband (although it might work well for slower connections). Consider increasing your MTU value.

your mtu is way off it should be 1500 in internet explorer goto 192.168.0.1 login into your router i'm not sure where exectly it is if i had model number i could tell u but look around and seee if you see anything that saids mtu. Also get ur firmware version number if you see that too if not not to worry.

So model number of dlink and fimware version if you found it???
    Last edited by mccoffee; 12-04-03 at 05:44 AM.
    Comptia a+ n+

Mitch G
    Well, both my router and my PC (according to TCPOptimizer) are configured for a 1500 byte MTU.
    My router is at fw version 2.18 (D-Link) which seems to be sufficient.
    (There are more recent updates available, but the descriptions don't seem be related to my problems, and I would rather not upgrade the firmware since then I have to reconfigure the router.)

Mitch

Kere's the thing if there is a firmware upgrade with and mtu adjustment upgrade you shouldn't have to reconfigure the router after firmware it will save your settings. I know linksys almost postive on dlink. From what i read about ur fimware it does have an mtu adjustment to do this look below.

Open a browser and type 192.168.0.1 into the Address field to access the router.
    Enter admin into the username field; leave the password field blank unless you have set a password.
    Click the WAN button. In the MTU field, enter the appropriate 1500
    Comptia a+ n+

Mitch G
    Originally posted by mccoffee

<snip>
    Click the WAN button. In the MTU field, enter the appropriate 1500
    Unfortunately, that's what it has been set at all along. The interesting thing is, I tried changing the MTU to something else (1300?) and ran the TCP analyzer and it said my MTU was not 1300 (it was some other number ending in "92" as well).

Mitch

Most likely you have your ICS MTU set improperly, search your registry for the value 1392 and change any values that have to do with your MTU to 1500. Once you set that properly we can optimize the rest of your settings.

Isn't it possible that his IP promises a 300kbitsps download/upload?

That would make his 60kbytesps download fine.

Right?

I'm probably wrong, worth a shot.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

mitch was it 1492
    Comptia a+ n+

Mitch G
    Originally posted by sludge
    Isn't it possible that his IP promises a 300kbitsps download/upload?

That would make his 60kbytesps download fine.

Right?

I'm probably wrong, worth a shot.

Yes, my cable modem service has a guaranteed 300 Kbps up/down speed.
    So, are you saying 60Kbps file download is reasonable given the service I subscribe to?

Mitch

Mitch G
    Originally posted by mccoffee
    mitch was it 1492
    If you mean what was the reported MTU when I changed it to something like 1300, I believe it was 1492.

Mitch

Mitch G
    Originally posted by mnosteele52
    Most likely you have your ICS MTU set improperly, search your registry for the value 1392 and change any values that have to do with your MTU to 1500. Once you set that properly we can optimize the rest of your settings.

OK. I'll check that. But, it'll have to wait until this evening since the computer in question is at home.

Mitch

Mitch G
    Originally posted by Mitch G
    OK. I'll check that. But, it'll have to wait until this evening since the computer in question is at home.

Mitch
    I did four difference searches of my registry (run>Regedit then used the "Find" command) for 1392, mtu, ics and even 1500
    I found nothing that seemed to be a relevant match.

So, I must be looking in the wrong place or for the wrong thing.

Mitch

mitch sorry for late reply try this one and see if mtu is difrent you an another guy is having the same promblem.
    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    Last edited by mccoffee; 12-05-03 at 09:26 PM.
    Comptia a+ n+

Originally posted by Mitch G
    Yes, my cable modem service has a guaranteed 300 Kbps up/down speed.
    So, are you saying 60Kbps file download is reasonable given the service I subscribe to?

Mitch
    kbitsps is usually what ISPs ratet here speed by. and kbitsps divided by 8 = kbytesps. kbytes being your transfer speed, or how fast you download.

I have Verizon Online DSL with the 768/128 package. This means my max transfer, or download speed is only 96.

It was just a guess, your ISP might be saying 300kbyteps guaranteed. I just don't know. If they are saying kbitsps guarantee, than they are only promissing 37.5kbyteps, which means your 60 isn't bad. Who is your ISP?

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz on Water | 8GB DDR2 | 2x 74GB Raptor RAID0 | 250GB Storage | P5E | 2900XT @ 850 Core | DVD-RW | 2x 24" Widescreen LCD | Saitek Eclipse | Logitech G5

i added a link sorry to double post i forgot to put it in there.
    Comptia a+ n+

Mitch G
    Originally posted by sludge
    kbitsps is usually what ISPs ratet here speed by. kbytes being your transfer speed, or how fast you download.

You know I never noticed that file downloads are given KBps.
    Well, that explains everything. Man, am I embarassed.

I have a guaranteed rate of 300Kbps (Kilobits per second).
    So, sure 60KBps (Kilobytes per second) file download speeds is just fine and dandy. In fact, it's better than I should be getting.

So, all I can say at this point is thanks for all your help and sorry to have wasted your time.

I really appreciate the fact that you guys take time out to help folks - even when they don't necessarily need it.

Thanks again,

Mitch