Thread: Primary Network Logon - Missing Options

paulilittle

Primary Network Logon - Missing Options

Uh Oh!

Some times it doesn't pay to tinker.

Having some time ago made some tweaks to 'god knows what' I noticed much later that my adsl connection login has stopped remembering my password - Well, it was annoying but I could live with it.

Then I find an article which suggests why, and that to fix it I should go into the networking control panel and change the Primary Network Logon from Windows Logon to Client...

"Aha!" thinks I and gleefully I seek out the network settings only to find the following ominous message:

"Your network is not complete. Do you want to continue?" ...and I find I only have the option of Windows Logon.

Ah!... Well, I think I know wherein the trouble lies.
    Previously I tinkered with the network bindings in order to 'improve' Windows online security and I suspect here I might have "left undone that which I ought not to have done", but quite what it was? I have no idea. Alas - I am become incomplete.

Can anyone help?
    It seems my continuation depends on it!
    Last edited by paulilittle; 12-02-03 at 05:45 PM.

Do you have a Windows CD? Under "Add and Remove Programs" you should be able to go into "Windows Components" and select the other network options you need and want.

paulilittle

WIN 98SE

Thanks for replying YoS

Somewhat crucially I neglected to mention my OS is WIN 98 SE.

This doesn't seem to have network components listed anywhere in Add Remove programs

Paul

what about under connections or IE?

also could you just add teh protocol and service from your network screen? I think that might be it, Little brain fart when I was typing that up. LOL

Right click on "Network Neighborhood" and select properties. Now right click on "local area connection" and select properties. You should end up in your network properties. Click the install button, then client, and finally "Client for microsoft networks". Finally change your logon type, it may do it for you when you add client for microsoft networks. You may need your 98 cd too.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by The Dude
    Now right click on "local area connection" and select properties.
    Not back in 95/98...you simply right click "Network Neighborhood"..and select "Properties"....you'll have the list of networking components right there. You click "Add"...select "Client"...the select "Client for Microsoft Networks". You can add the file and print sharing service too..click on the "Add" button, click "Services"...and select File and Print Sharing....

Double check protocols and adapters, feed Windows CD if necessary, else you can usually find all you need in C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System, and C:\Windows\Options\Cabs
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Not back in 95/98...you simply right click "Network Neighborhood"..and select "Properties"....you'll have the list of networking components right there. You click "Add"...select "Client"...the select "Client for Microsoft Networks". You can add the file and print sharing service too..click on the "Add" button, click "Services"...and select File and Print Sharing....

Double check protocols and adapters, feed Windows CD if necessary, else you can usually find all you need in C:\Windows, C:\Windows\System, and C:\Windows\Options\Cabs
    Close, but not close enough. I knew their would be some differences, I'm on my 2k box and don't have 98 installed anymore. I guess I should have mentioned that. Thanks for posting the correct steps, YeOldeStonecat.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.