Thread: the right database for the right job, help!

i hate you. no really. thechemgeek's Avatar

the right database for the right job, help!

first off, i'm a chemist. heh. i prob know a bit more than the average joe about computers/networks. i can normally pick up new software and learn it quite quickly...but for the life of me i'm having trouble with learning MS-Access.

i could give a lot of background on my project, but it can be summed up by saying i've been using Excel to record "data", but it's getting quite BIG and i just found out from my manager that i need to give access to it to others. the problem is i need to give them limited access to it and i don't want them editing the tables/forms/queries/etc.

basically, i need to create a database for which only i will be entering data, others will view and comment, making the entire thing searchable for keywords, and have it be a bit more user-friendly than MS-Access seems to be at the moment. also, it would be nice to have a good, clean interface for those not familiar with it, so that they can search/view it, etc.

any ideas??? other database programs i can check out??

A lot of it depends on what kind of access they need to the database. Do you need to generate input or query forms for them? Does it only need to be flat file, or should it be relational?

I agree and understand your frustration with Access. I've worked with databases since DBaseII, and I find it annoying and superficial. I hate the way it stores its files and indexes, and the whole table structure- bah!

If you only need super-simple flat file databases, File-Maker Pro works well.

My all-time-favorite was and is still, Alpha Five. It is the simplest to learn and most powerful Database I have ever seen or used. I've been using it since Alpha 4 ver 3 days- (1993- Dos version), and it is a fabulous piece of software. Why it has never become the dominant player is beyond me. Compared to Access, it's a walk through the park. It also stores all databases in conventional .dbf, which is almost universally converted and queried by everything. It's great stuff. I've found one of it's most useful features to be the ability to create almost unlimited size memo fields, attached to the database.

Go here and read about it- then order it. You won't be sorry. I usually don't get too passionate over software, but this is the best program I have ever used in my 15 years in the industry, bar none.

Alpha Software
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

I've used Access for years and find it a great tool for creating quick easy to use databases.

You really have 2 options available in Access...

1. You can create a database frontend/backend and then assign permissions and access rights to each tables data, forms etc.

2. The easiest way... Create your backend tables. Then create 2 user interfaces. The first interface would be fully functional and allow you to input and manage data. The second "frontend" interface would be for your coworkers and the forms, reports and queries would only have read access.

i hate you. no really. thechemgeek's Avatar
    thanks.

i checked with someone at the company and they seem to think that they can do it all with a lotus notes database. we use lotus notes 5.