Thread: Guitar to comp...what soundcard??

Hanging out with Prince Albert Needlefreak's Avatar

Guitar to comp...what soundcard??

Im gonna build a system for a Friend who wants to record the the output from his guitar as he plays...Something in the M-Audio line?? What should I look for?? Im lost on sound cards and recording..

Thanks in advance..

i think this would be a question for UOD. from what I understand the Line-6 Pod series is a great usb peripheral for use with an electric guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

whats the budget? does he need sound processing as well? or does he just need a good line in for sound that's already been processed?

if he wants to process the signal (reverb, distortion, etc), then Line6 does have a couple decent options. i have a Line6 Guitar Port..... more out of convenience that because of the killer tones it makes (would say mediocre tones at best). i think the POD line is a bit better, as it has the DSP onboard rather than offloading that to the comp's CPU.

these gadgets still need to be routed into the system through the soundcard, though.... and i think M-Audio tends to be the common choice. the Revolution is one of their cheaper cards, but is still much more capable than most other cards by Creative or Turtle Beach. if he doesn;t need or want the signal processing of a POD or Guitar Port, then all he needs is a good quality soundcard and some good recording software (may want to see what the soundcards come bundled with. you may not need to purchase extra software).

do yourself a favor and cruise over to http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ and look around.

here's a list of a few of the M-Audio cards they have.... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...?q=m-audio+pci .
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Hanging out with Prince Albert Needlefreak's Avatar
    He wants to try to keep it around $600.00 with the big spending done on a fast Proc, lots of RAM and good soundcard...Between the two of us we have cables,fans,CDrom/burner...He plans on no gaming so a lower end vid card with tv output will be used..Tight budget but I think It can be done..

""does he need sound processing as well? or does he just need a good line in for sound that's already been processed?
    ""
    Im not sure of this so I will ask when I see him again...I know he mentioned recording what he plays and wanting to mix/enhance some CDs also..